Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

He’s great and there’s a reason he’s gotten so many big opportunities.  I’m sure the replacement will be worse and they probably replace Stone with Beckham so a garbage team will also have terrible broadcast team.  

I think Tony said it earlier, but is this news really going to impact TV ratings anyways?  No one watched the team last year, and the next two years will likely be worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, I don't know why Jason would bolt to Detroit. He loves the Sox. Loves Steve. Something had to piss him off. When he was just starting, I thought he was trying to do a 2 hour comedy bit in 20 minutes. But he grew on me. This is another Sox loss.

I have one guess 

💰

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, I don't know why Jason would bolt to Detroit. He loves the Sox. Loves Steve. Something had to piss him off. When he was just starting, I thought he was trying to do a 2 hour comedy bit in 20 minutes. But he grew on me. This is another Sox loss.

He was pissed off last year about his contract. He probably got lowballed again and had it. He's too busy for the Sox doing other stuff but not the Tigers? That's a cop out answer from the worst organization in sports. Everyone can be happy now when they have some wanker in the booth who's dead ass serious as the team loses 105 games!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

Jerry knows how to kick us when we are down. He is honestly the only thing that gave me any entertainment during last years abysmal in game performances. 

I get that he missed out on some games because of national priorities, but unless they have a good backup plan, this is just a bad decision and the timing is so white sox

• Like 3

Benetti quotes to the athletic last year:

Benetti signed a new two-year White Sox contract in late January. But as he told the Sun-Times on Feb. 2, the talks were “kind of a pain.”

“I would push back on that I’m not happy to be here,” he said. “Because I absolutely am. I promise you I wouldn’t be in the booth if I didn’t want to be here and they didn’t want me on some level as well. But I don’t like being told what to say. And I want to be emotionally honest, with what matters to me like that. The two instances you brought up are frustrating to me. Because, well, because I love doing this so much.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He was gone so much. I don't blame the Sox for this one. 

But didn't the Sox tell him to get his other contract/contracts taken care of last year and then come back to the Sox and talk. It's the fault of the Sox!!

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me, this is shocking. If it were to do the game of the week or something like that, it would be a different story. But while under contract to go to Detroit? C'mon man, there is some more White Sox dysfunction.

Yeah, I thought he would have left for a regular national job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saufley said:

But didn't the Sox tell him to get his other contract/contracts taken care of last year and then come back to the Sox and talk. It's the fault of the Sox!!

And did he do that? Seems to me he just took on even more responsibility. Olympic year too he'll probably miss like all of July.

16 minutes ago, FT35 said:

IMO, this is great news.  Fun is great, but silly, goofy, fake, overly quirky, convincing everyone you’re the most “clever”—it all leads to disconnect and awkwardness and that gets old quick.  Our broadcasts were unwatchable care of the team, and “unlistenable” because of this guy!  We need someone real, identifiable and passionate to rebrand the Sox from the booth.  

Bad take.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Congrats to everyone that thinks good play by play announcers grow off trees. Enjoy whatever bland random person is in the booth next.

As long as they are serious, bring no levity at all, and hopefully are a former player, the meatballs will be happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like Jason but he seems a little bit like a diva and I don’t love that he seemed to prioritize the national gigs over his Sox job. I bet this rubbed the team the wrong way too. Chicago to Detroit seems like a downward move, I doubt he wanted to do this

Sad to see him go, I’m mostly entertained by his antics and he has an actually good rapport with Stone. He’s also great filling in for the Bulls, way better than Amin, another “national” non-homer. The next person should be more of a homer, not concerned with pissing off the opponent’s fans or his bosses at Fox. I think from a Sox/Bulls perspective, replacing Hawk and Funk with Benetti and Amin was a mistake. Swapped out two guys who actually liked the team for millennials who treat it like a side job.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1