Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

2 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Jim O'Donnell's column a couple of days ago referenced Thom Brenamann as "on the board as a longshot" hire to replace Jason. Nothing would be more White Sox than that.

Jim O’Donnell: Sports talk radio in Chicago – is it still there? (dailyherald.com) 

paywalled I believe

Will they pair him with Glen Kuiper?

Mike North and of course Ozzie Guillen on Pre/Post. Jim Katt the fill in for vacations.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Jim O'Donnell's column a couple of days ago referenced Thom Brenamann as "on the board as a longshot" hire to replace Jason. Nothing would be more White Sox than that.

Jim O’Donnell: Sports talk radio in Chicago – is it still there? (dailyherald.com) 

paywalled I believe

I think this would actually get me to believe that Jerry is trying to murder fan engagement in an effort to move the team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Beckham seems like a nice guy but his voice ain't there yet. For me, it's kind of annoying.

What did Brennaman do? I forget. If it's too bad don't put specifics. Is it forgivable?

Gay slur on air. Depends on your definition of forgiveable. I think most things less than murder are forgivable and second chances are awesome. But the Sox are not in a position to be the team to give him a second chance at this momemt IMO.

Edited by ThirdGen
spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Apparently Brooks Boyer has returned to the office after his three week Christmas vacation.

Monaco was perceived as one of the favorites weeks ago but must have gotten low balled and nobody likes broadcasting a terrible team.

Plus they won't give him the same flexibility they were unwilling to extend to Benetti.

Or maybe Brooks would just to be spiteful...

There comes a point where someone just becomes numb. 

I’m a recovered alcoholic. And everyone used to talk about hitting their bottom. It always bothered me, because an alcoholic can rationalize anything. You can keep expanding and extending what qualified as a “bottom”

I never hit a bottom as an alcoholic. I just said enough is enough. 

im hitting a bottom as a sox fan. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Pale Sox said:

There comes a point where someone just becomes numb. 

I’m a recovered alcoholic. And everyone used to talk about hitting their bottom. It always bothered me, because an alcoholic can rationalize anything. You can keep expanding and extending what qualified as a “bottom”

I never hit a bottom as an alcoholic. I just said enough is enough. 

im hitting a bottom as a sox fan. 

It's the complete unwillingness to consider competing (Royals killing everyone in spending) and yet stubborness to admit they have no other choice but to undertake an arduous rebuild that lacks all the advantages of the 2016-19 attempt.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

If they replace Benetti with Brenaman, I think I'm checking out on the broadcasts for awhile. What he said wasn't a slip of the tongue. When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Is there a rumor supporting this because it would generally be the most shocking hire ever?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is there a rumor supporting this because it would generally be the most shocking hire ever?

After what they went through with LaRussa and then Clevinger, it would be the most tone deaf hire possible.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

As a broadcaster myself I always found Brennaman to be a tremendous broadcaster. The guy screwed up and said something he shouldn't have. He apologized.

Everyone has said or done something that they regret, so should everyone get the rest of their life destroyed because of a mistake?

He didn't murder someone, commit treason or pull off a pyramid scheme. 

Talk about going overboard with a vendetta.

The guy was good enough to work national games for Fox in different sports and to be a Major League broadcaster for a few teams. That's a better resume than most of the recent Sox broadcasters including Benetti when he was hired. (and I liked him personally and professionally)

In my opinion the Sox could do a hell of a lot worse.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As a broadcaster myself I always found Brennaman to be a tremendous broadcaster. The guy screwed up and said something he shouldn't have. He apologized.

Everyone has said or done something that they regret, so should everyone get the rest of their life destroyed because of a mistake?

The guy was good enough to work national games for Fox in different sports and to be a Major League broadcaster for a few teams. That's a better resume than most of the recent Sox broadcasters including Benetti (and I liked him personally and professionally)

Did he screw up or is he just a hateful homophobe?  I’m all for giving people second chances in life, but to say what he said in that situation highly suggests the latter and there are simply too many quality broadcasters out there to give this opportunity to a guy with this much baggage.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The guy was good enough to work national games for Fox in different sports and to be a Major League broadcaster for a few teams. That's a better resume than most of the recent Sox broadcasters including Benetti (and I liked him personally and professionally)

Benetti is a highly desired broadcaster with top assignments throughout all sports, and his resume is superior this early into his career. 

Brennaman is completely toxic, and would only bring even more negativity to White Sox baseball.

There are enough crony nepotism people in the Reinsdorf orbit. Let his daddy, who also had a similar incident, because the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, get him a job somewhere else.

Talk about tone deaf.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The guy was good enough to work national games for Fox in different sports and to be a Major League broadcaster for a few teams. That's a better resume than most of the recent Sox broadcasters including Benetti when he was hired. (and I liked him personally and professionally)

It’s not the fact that he said something stupid, it’s the fact that when you listen to what he said, it’s really really difficult to believe he didn’t mean it. This was not a case of stumbling over a word or improper context, he was quite articulate, he just didn’t think anyone was listening. It doesn’t matter what you think about second chances — it’s really hard for a fanbase to swallow that its broadcaster is a homophobe, whether he apologized for it or not.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s not the fact that he said something stupid, it’s the fact that when you listen to what he said, it’s really really difficult to believe he didn’t mean it. This was not a case of stumbling over a word or improper context, he was quite articulate, he just didn’t think anyone was listening. It doesn’t matter what you think about second chances — it’s really hard for a fanbase to swallow that its broadcaster is a homophobe, whether he apologized for it or not.

Exactly.  It’s pretty obvious that he meant it and didn’t realize he was speaking with a hot mic.  His “super sincere” apology, while cutting out of it to call a Castellanos homerun, made it even worse.  What a bonehead.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, ThirdGen said:

Gay slur on air. Depends on your definition of forgiveable. I think most things less than murder are forgivable and second chances are awesome. But the Sox are not in a position to be the team to give him a second chance at this momemt IMO.

I disagree.  The Sox have sunk to Oakland A's rock bottom.  Nothing they do to make things worse should be a surprise at this point.

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“Screwed up and said something he shouldn’t have”

LMAO lip he called an unidentified location the f** capital of the world.  He didn’t slip up words, he said something with his full chest and didn’t expect the mic in his fucking hand to be recording.

super disappointing take from you 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Big oof here man, biiiigggg oof.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

“Screwed up and said something he shouldn’t have”

LMAO lip he called an unidentified location the f** capital of the world.  He didn’t slip up words, he said something with his full chest and didn’t expect the mic in his fucking hand to be recording.

super disappointing take from you 

But he managed to stay professional and make the call on that Castellanos homerun right in the middle of his apology.  🤡

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 5