Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

Kyyle: You are correct in what you wrote, the issue then becomes does outside pressure cause him to never be able to get a job again? Isn't that cancel culture in a way? 

He can absolutely get a job, just not as a big league baseball team's broadcaster.

There are 30 of those jobs available. They are the most prominent public representatives of the team. The White Sox just let a guy go because the owner didn't like how he chewed.

There are far more than 30 qualified broadcasters in the world. He is not entitled to one just because that was what he did previously. You are totally allowed, as a public facing business, to evaluate a guy who has made this level of mistake and hold that against him when evaluating him. There are hundreds of professional people coming from broadcast schools with sports experience who do not have these kinds of public statements on their records. There are hundreds of former players who may have an interest at getting into broadcasting. Find one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

SS2K: Again I respect your opinion and comments. I am far from ignorant of the events going on in the world or this country.

I don't believe in cancel culture since every single person on Earth has made mistakes. You have the right to your beliefs as do I. 

Now the question is do we get along? Or is this another division in a divided country?  

Cancel culture isn't fucking Marty Brennamen not being able to get another job after making a hateful comment on an open mic.  Cancel Culture is a group of religious fanatics trying to cancel an entire group of people out of the United States, and barring that committing literal hate crimes against them.  Your so-called "cancel culture" is a response TO the ACTUAL cancel culture of the United States.  Your "right to beliefs" should not extend to the literal extermination of a group of American citizens.  That's s%*# that happens in Iran and Russia, not the US... or at least it used to be so.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Kyyle: You are correct in what you wrote, the issue then becomes does outside pressure cause him to never be able to get a job again? Isn't that cancel culture in a way? 

What outside pressure?  You think there are people that are campaigning to make sure he isn’t hired or is it more likely that the entire league saw one of the highest profile announcers go off script in the worst possible way, get rightfully fired, and say “I want no part of that”?

like come on man, the risk in pissing off a portion of your fanbase for hiring a bigot is not to be ignored and teams understand nowadays that they can’t just sweep that under the rug 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

s%*#, is Thom homeless now because the White Sox would prefer to hire a different PBP guy without all the baggage?  No one is saying he should go to jail or be condemned to hell, but unfortunately when you’re a public figure who says something stupid & hate-filled for the the world to see, the repercussions are going to a bit higher and you may no longer be entitled to multi-million dollar paying broadcast roles.  This isn’t cancel culture, it’s common sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

What outside pressure?  You think there are people that are campaigning to make sure he isn’t hired or is it more likely that the entire league saw one of the highest profile announcers go off script in the worst possible way, get rightfully fired, and say “I want no part of that”?

like come on man, the risk in pissing off a portion of your fanbase for hiring a bigot is not to be ignored and teams understand nowadays that they can’t just sweep that under the rug 

Clearly there are. It can be both.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Clearly there are. It can be both.

Sure, the Brennamen brigade certainly has done its rounds we all have heard them loud and clear 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He can absolutely get a job, just not as a big league baseball team's broadcaster.

There are 30 of those jobs available. They are the most prominent public representatives of the team. The White Sox just let a guy go because the owner didn't like how he chewed.

There are far more than 30 qualified broadcasters in the world. He is not entitled to one just because that was what he did previously. You are totally allowed, as a public facing business, to evaluate a guy who has made this level of mistake and hold that against him when evaluating him. There are hundreds of professional people coming from broadcast schools with sports experience who do not have these kinds of public statements on their records. There are hundreds of former players who may have an interest at getting into broadcasting. Find one.

Balta: You do make some very valid points. 

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Cancel culture isn't fucking Marty Brennamen not being able to get another job after making a hateful comment on an open mic.  Cancel Culture is a group of religious fanatics trying to cancel an entire group of people out of the United States, and barring that committing literal hate crimes against them.  Your so-called "cancel culture" is a response TO the ACTUAL cancel culture of the United States.  Your "right to beliefs" should not extend to the literal extermination of a group of American citizens.  That's s%*# that happens in Iran and Russia, not the US... or at least it used to be so.

Cancel culture is not limited to religious fanatics. 

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

Love excusing someone for being a shitty person in the name of "cancel culture is bad."

Snopek: I'm not excusing what he said in any way. I'm saying everyone has made mistakes, period. If someone is going to be condemned for something they said then a lot of people shouldn't be around much longer should they? 

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So when was the last time someone got lynched for being Polish in the US?

How about the last time passed a law to prevent Polish people from being allowed to do things like marry or get basic health care?

How about the last time a law was passed to keep Polish people out of schools?

When was the last time someone burned down or attacked a Polish bar?

How does the Polish suicide rate look when compared to the rest of society?

When was the last time a library was sued because a Polish person was about to read a story to kids?

How many people are called pedophiles for simply being Polish?

When was the last time a President tried to keep the Polish from serving in the military?

I could keep going, but if you see being Polish as equal to being the LGBTQ+ community in the US in 2023, you are ignorant of the world around you... at best.

At what point does your attitude become intolerant?

According to Brennaman’s Wikipedia page, he has been hired twice since the incident, so he has been given a second chance already.  Do I expect the MLB to do the same?  No, but I don’t think this should come as a surprise to anyone.

Roberto Clemente League

In December 2020, it was announced that Brennaman would serve as a play-by-play announcer for the Roberto Clemente League in Puerto Rico for the 2020–21 season.

Chatterbox Sports

On July 22, 2021, Chatterbox Sports, a subscription-based streaming service that broadcasts high school games in the Cincinnati area, hired Brennaman as their new play-by-play announcer. Chatterbox president Trace Fowler said of the hiring that he wanted to give Brennaman a second chance, saying that, while he is not downplaying what Brennaman said, Fowler said upon further research that Brennaman "is a great person who made a mistake that I know he’s deeply regretful for."

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I would be willing to bet somewhere down the line, the vast majority of this board used the same term Thom did, and in a derogatory way.  I understand it was way out of bounds. He paid a huge price. Lost more than 1 gig.  He apologized, he did some things to try to make amends. It's been 4 years.  I doubt it will happen, but if the White Sox select him, I won't be up in arms.

• Thanks 2

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

According to Brennaman’s Wikipedia page, he has been hired twice since the incident, so he has been given a second chance already.  Do I expect the MLB to do the same?  No, but I don’t think this should be a surprise to anyone.

Please note that it was described that Thom Brennaman would "Never be able to get a job again". These would be jobs that he has gotten.

If smaller businesses wish to hire him as an experienced broadcaster, that is their choice. I doubt that Chatterbox Sports, broadcasting high school games in Cincinnati, represents a billion dollar business. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Sure, the Brennamen brigade certainly has done its rounds we all have heard them loud and clear 

There are people in this very thread threatening not to watch if he’s hired. How is that not campaigning to keep him from being hired?

I’m not even arguing that it’s people’s right to pressure an organization not to hire him. They absolutely can do that, and they may even be correct in doing so, but it’s still campaigning to keep him out.

And are we pretending that, should word get out that he’s being considered for the job, LGBTQIA+ organizations wouldn’t put pressure on the team to stop it? Because they absolutely would.

• Thanks 1

There are people in this very thread threatening not to watch if he’s hired. How is that not campaigning to keep him from being hired?

I’m not even arguing that it’s people’s right to pressure an organization not to hire him. They absolutely can do that, and they may even be correct in doing so, but it’s still campaigning to keep him out.

And are we pretending that, should word get out that he’s being considered for the job, LGBTQIA+ organizations wouldn’t put pressure on the team to stop it? Because they absolutely would.

Dude if you think people bitching in a board is cancel culture I don’t know what to say anymore to you.  Fans can say anything they want, there is no organized function out there trying to keep him unemployed, and if there were he wouldn’t be calling games still

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would be willing to bet somewhere down the line, the vast majority of this board used the same term Thom did, and in a derogatory way.  I understand it was way out of bounds. He paid a huge price. Lost more than 1 gig.  He apologized, he did some things to try to make amends. It's been 4 years.  I doubt it will happen, but if the White Sox select him, I won't be up in arms.

I knew nothing about this whole situation before this thread. Never even saw the meme people are mentioning.

I don’t know if the bold statement is correct, but if it is and there’s no forgiveness or future opportunities after attempts to make amends, then there’s never any point in apologizing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude if you think people bitching in a board is cancel culture I don’t know what to say anymore to you.  Fans can say anything they want, there is no organized function out there trying to keep him unemployed, and if there were he wouldn’t be calling games still

I’ll repeat the last part of my post you responded to:

And are we pretending that, should word get out that he’s being considered for the job, LGBTQIA+ organizations wouldn’t put pressure on the team to stop it? Because they absolutely would.

• Thanks 1

I knew nothing about this whole situation before this thread. Never even saw the meme people are mentioning.

I don’t know if the bold statement is correct, but if it is and there’s no forgiveness or future opportunities after attempts to make amends, then there’s never any point in apologizing.

https://www.outsports.com/2022/3/22/22989588/thom-brennaman-gay-slur-lgbtq-mlb-baseball-tv-hire

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Balta: I respect the views of everyone who has a different opinion on this matter, that is their right. Part of the problems in this nation today are because folks turn a blind eye or ear to opposing views. 

I try not to do that.

I simply disagree with cancel culture and will let it go at that.

Baseball is an entertainment business, at least in theory. I didn't get a response from you earlier, but how does hiring Thom help the White Sox organization? Wouldn't this be yet another White Sox move that would be universally condemned?

If Thom wants to work as an announcer, perhaps he needs to work for a lesser profile gig (minor leagues, some team or sport that wants him) to rebuild his reputation. It just shouldn't be here, especially with the current state this organization in the eyes of a dejected fanbase. Would say 90% + of fans feel that way across all religious, political or societal viewpoints.

I mean, typically you apologize because you feel bad about something you did, not to simply avoid punishment.

• Haha 1