Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

42 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why would his stock be down? I think I’d prefer Kjerstad anyway. Cowser’s value comes as a CF imo and he won’t be playing it in Chicago 

There isn’t value in a guy like that starting at a corner and being able to back up CF? And who knows, maybe Robert gets traded in a couple years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

@Chicago White Sox will like this....Hjerstad is the left handed savage he wanted from BAL. 

I feel Jimmy wouldn't throw that out there unless he heard something was going on. 

They still need to add Ortiz to the equation and maybe Hall (now that he rebounded later in the season) or Povich, but I have my doubts Elias will go for the third piece and he may not even go for Ortiz as the 2nd piece, but BAL is the best match by far.

We need positional talent. 

The Orioles may be hesitant to move Hall or Povich given their lack of pitching depth in the minors and I’m 100% ok with that.  Give me Hjerstad, Ortiz, and a lesser positional prospect and I’m all in.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think they’re getting Cowser. If they keep insisting on that, it’ll probably be a different team. 

FWIW, Orioles fans are higher on Kjerstad than Cowser right now.  Not sure if that’s due to Cowser struggling in his initial cup of coffee or what, but Cowser had much better prospect status than Kjerstad as recently as the All Star break this past season.  It will be very interesting to see where those two land in BA’s update top 10 list for the Orioles tomorrow.  I’m guessing Cowser gets passed over by guy or two.

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Interesting. I had a strong feeling Getz wanted Cowser because he also adds athleticism and defense to go along with his LH bat (and if Robert is traded later he could slide into CF) so he checks alot of boxes. 

Perhaps given Jimmy's report, Chicago has come off Cowser and agreed to accept Hjerstad instead, but maybe Getz will want to make up for that on the backend with higher quality 3rd and 4th pieces. Interesting that they don't want Ortiz even though consensus in the scouting community appears to be Montgomery will have to slide to 3B. Norby would be a good 2B.

Thanks for the info.....much appreciated. 

Norby is younger than Ortiz, but doesn’t fit the style of play that Getz seems to be prioritizing.  I’d be shocked if he was the #2 piece in a Cease trade.

2 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Everyone seems to favor Kjerstad over him, which is why I labeled that he’d be a second part. I don’t understand the Kjerstad love, but that’s just me. 

I’d 100% want Mayo over Kjerstad.  I just think he’s untouchable, but admittedly I’m big Kjerstad fan.  The power is legit and we haven’t had a LH bat that could potentially bat in the middle of the lineup in a long time.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why would his stock be down? I think I’d prefer Kjerstad anyway. Cowser’s value comes as a CF imo and he won’t be playing it in Chicago 

At this point, the Sox just need assets in the organization. A center field asset is a need in general, and a good commodity.  If the Sox are indeed pursuing valuable assets, that has to be enough with the state of things.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bold prediction, but I’m going with Cease to the Dodgers sometime Saturday afternoon for Busch, Sheehan, & Pages.

That would be a very strong package if Pages returns to preinjury form. If the Dodgers are pushing all their chips in like this, it's time for Elias to put up or shut up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Norby is younger than Ortiz, but doesn’t fit the style of play that Getz seems to be prioritizing.  I’d be shocked if he was the #2 piece in a Cease trade.

Not sure why it would shock you. He's a disciplined, contact hitter with plus power that's an athletic, capable defender at 2B / OF who is highly  aggressive on the base paths. 

4 hours ago, macsandz said:

Not sure why it would shock you. He's a disciplined, contact hitter with plus power that's an athletic, capable defender at 2B / OF who is highly  aggressive on the base paths. 

Bat first RH hitting 2B (he really hasn’t played much OF) just doesn’t seem like it would be high on Getz’s list.

8 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There isn’t value in a guy like that starting at a corner and being able to back up CF? And who knows, maybe Robert gets traded in a couple years.

There is but with Cowser’s bat, it plays more in CF than in a corner. I’d prefer the power profile 

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

FWIW, Orioles fans are higher on Kjerstad than Cowser right now.  Not sure if that’s due to Cowser struggling in his initial cup of coffee or what, but Cowser had much better prospect status than Kjerstad as recently as the All Star break this past season.  It will be very interesting to see where those two land in BA’s update top 10 list for the Orioles tomorrow.  I’m guessing Cowser gets passed over by guy or two.

That’s interesting. Cowser had 77 PA in majors though. Totally meaningless sample 

6 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

At this point, the Sox just need assets in the organization. A center field asset is a need in general, and a good commodity.  If the Sox are indeed pursuing valuable assets, that has to be enough with the state of things.

This is true. I just think they need Kjerstad’s profile more 

7 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Just get arms arms arms and anyone capable of playing CF SS/2B (preference for the arm and range needed at short) and of course we desperately need a legitimate starting catcher with abundant leadership qualities.

(We'll have a much better idea about Quero's offense playing next season in Birmingham.)

All of those up the middle players can eventually be moved to the four corners...solidifying the defense there as well.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, macsandz said:

https://pressboxonline.com/2023/05/30/pipeline-primer-orioles-prospect-connor-norby/

Like the fact that his strength is hitting fastballs to RCF.

One of those guys who doesn't have a massive ceiling but seems pretty certain to be a 1.5-2.5 fWAR second baseman.

Coming out of East Carolina...a bit of a chip on his shoulder compared to the Vaughn's and Beckham's and Madrigal's of the NCAA stratosphere.

You can see it in his reaction to not getting promoted as quickly as some of the bigger names in the system.

Definitely more smoke over the last day.  Of course, that could all be generated by the one tweet saying talks have "heated up", whether or not the tweet was to get teams to increase their offers.

Based on everything I've seen/read, the O's seem to be the best match.  A trade with them gets the Sox possibly two MLB ready players that fill immediate needs  Hopefully, if a deal gets done, Baltimore will part with the guys the Sox want and the Sox don't give in and take a lesser package.

A deal with the Dodgers is intriguing, too.  Again, some immediate needs could be filled with a trade.

I think a trade with Atlanta is the least intriguing of the teams rumored to be involved.  Their top prospect list is sparse and almost all pitching.  The Sox need position players in return for sure.  Unless the Braves deal from the MLB roster, I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Definitely more smoke over the last day.  Of course, that could all be generated by the one tweet saying talks have "heated up", whether or not the tweet was to get teams to increase their offers.

Based on everything I've seen/read, the O's seem to be the best match.  A trade with them gets the Sox possibly two MLB ready players that fill immediate needs  Hopefully, if a deal gets done, Baltimore will part with the guys the Sox want and the Sox don't give in and take a lesser package.

A deal with the Dodgers is intriguing, too.  Again, some immediate needs could be filled with a trade.

I think a trade with Atlanta is the least intriguing of the teams rumored to be involved.  Their top prospect list is sparse and almost all pitching.  The Sox need position players in return for sure.  Unless the Braves deal from the MLB roster, I don't see it happening.

What do you want for Cease, another slew of infielders who can't hit?  They need pitching, period. Atlanta's top prospects are pitchers.  Looks like a good fit to me.

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Well, they have to know the entire Braves' system already after the Bummer trade....just a matter of dialing down on their Top 3-5 guys that were never going to be part of that recent deal.

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

What do you want for Cease, another slew of infielders who can't hit?  They need pitching, period. Atlanta's top prospects are pitchers.  Looks like a good fit to me.

They need pitching...and infield...and outfield.  Getting back a couple position players who will be on the MLB roster in 2024 in addition to some pitching is better than a handful of pitchers, most of which won't be MLB ready for a couple years.  Hey, if Getz can strip the Braves of their top 4 or 5 guys (who are all pitchers), great.  But that's unlikely.  Acquiring two or three of Baltimore's top 10 prospects plus another guy or two helps the Sox now and in the future.

The Braves have the 24th best farm system.  Baltimore's farm system is #1.  The Sox could get a haul from Baltimore, and their system would still be pretty good.  They could get a lesser package from Atlanta, and their system would be at or near the bottom.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic