Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

He’s also not understanding the bigger point…which is that there are at least another 5-6 teams like the Cubs and Giants and Blue Jays under tremendous pressure to make a splash between now and Opening Day, having accomplished little to nothing this offseason.

The Yankees can’t be satisfied with Rodon and Cortes, for example.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I think he’s just saying the buzz was prior to the reports coming out the last 24 hours, and now everyone knows 

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Not surprising I was being to literal and looking at it as an editor. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You keeping saying Elias won’t trade Mayo.  Since Elias has never come out and said this publicly, I am asking for an objective reason for why Mayo would be an untouchable for Cease.  A bunch of qualitative talking points about talent, draft position, and character don’t support that statement.  And sure, he may have a 4 win ceiling, but he also has a replacement level floor.  What is the expected bust rate on a prospect like Mayo historically?  What is a good 50th percentile projection for him over his control period?  What is he intrinsically worth to the Orioles…that’s what I’m asking.

First of all, I’m not saying he won’t trade Mayo. I’m saying he won’t do it for Cease

Secondly, his ceiling is higher than 4 WAR.

And lastly, I’m not really sure why you want. I haven’t interviewed Elias lately to give you a quote. I’m giving you my reasons. I’m telling you how the org values him and high end prospects. 

I mean, you guys seem to know that the WS want lefty hitters or pitchers or whatever for Cease.  How do you know that? Is it because you are screwing his wife and she talks during sex?  

No, you know it because you follow the team, read things, listen to those reporting on them locally and understand the types of guys your org covets.  This isn’t that difficult. Not sure why so many of you try to make this harder than it is. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

lol…possible but I think that money is fine and don’t forget, if we trade a ML asset, chances are it will be a player making money.

And no deal is said is giving away Bieber although the argument is definitely there that Bieber has very little value.(which is maybe why they keep him)

It’s 100% why they keep him.  But let’s not pretend money doesn’t matter to you guys…$12M on Bieber is $12M you can’t spend later without moving other stuff.  Was literally watching Moneyball two nights ago and it was the scene where Beane has to beg the owner for like $250k so he can add a reliever at the trade deadline.  Your ownership isn’t that pathetic, but clearly Angelos Junior is using your franchise as a source of income and isn’t going to go hog wild with spending mid-season.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s 100% why they keep him.  But let’s not pretend money doesn’t matter to you guys…$12M on Bieber is $12M you can’t spend later without moving other stuff.  Was literally watching Moneyball two nights ago and it was the scene where Beane has to beg the owner for like $250k so he can add a reliever at the trade deadline.  Your ownership isn’t that pathetic, but clearly Angelos Junior is using your franchise as a source of income and isn’t going to go hog wild with spending mid-season.

Oh I agree but Elias can spend more money. I mean, Cease is going to make 4M less and clearly he can go get him. 

You aren’t going to see me defend that POS.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

Hey can we get another grouping of 4 prospects that don’t hurt to lose?  Norby, Ortiz + +

Can we get another one of those that doesn’t hurt at all?  Please don’t include your great prospects that would hurt to lose because they might be good players.  

We don’t want close to surefire good players for Cease.  We want 45-50 FV guys with a good mix of tools and big flags. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mayo is a "premium prospect" with "4+ WAR upside", yet Cease a question mark after averaging 4.2 WAR the past three seasons under cheap control for 2 seasons in a market in which mediocre and injury prone SPs are getting $14M+ AAV. 

This is why no one takes you seriously. 

And short of injury comes with a highly valuable compensation pick at the end (which is even more valuable for the Orioles given where it would slot).

I do feel the need to point out that amidst all these discussions, the White Sox have five former top 10 prospects, including two #1s, in their starting lineup next year.

Can't miss prospect means nothing to us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I do feel the need to point out that amidst all these discussions, the White Sox have five former top 10 prospects, including two #1s, in their starting lineup next year.

Can't miss prospect means nothing to us.

Hopefully they can produce unlike many other top prospects the Sox have acquired the last few years.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, I’m not saying he won’t trade Mayo. I’m saying he won’t do it for Cease

Secondly, his ceiling is higher than 4 WAR.

And lastly, I’m not really sure why you want. I haven’t interviewed Elias lately to give you a quote. I’m giving you my reasons. I’m telling you how the org values him and high end prospects. 

I mean, you guys seem to know that the WS want lefty hitters or pitchers or whatever for Cease.  How do you know that? Is it because you are screwing his wife and she talks during sex?  

No, you know it because you follow the team, read things, listen to those reporting on them locally and understand the types of guys your org covets.  This isn’t that difficult. Not sure why so many of you try to make this harder than it is. 

And your org has other guys who could slot into all these spots.  You aren’t without options if you trade Mayo.  As such, this becomes a simply valuation debate and it doesn’t seem you’re willing to throw an actual number or range on him, just saying it’s more than Cease or that value doesn’t really matter since “Elias likes him”.  I’d put a ~$60M projected surplus value on Cease right now.  Do you think the best middle ground forecast for Mayo is above that?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

And your org has other guys who could slot into all these spots.  You aren’t without options if you trade Mayo.  As such, this becomes a simply valuation debate and it doesn’t seem you’re willing to throw an actual number or range on him, just saying it’s more than Cease or that value doesn’t really matter since “Elias likes him”.  I’d put a ~$60M projected surplus value on Cease right now.  Do you think the best middle ground forecast for Mayo is above that?

We have other guys…but they aren’t as good and we have plenty of room for guys long term.  In fact, they are enhancing his versatility (something the team values) for this very reason.

He’s not being dealt for Cease.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Robbie Ray to the Giants…doubt they are trading more pitching.

They might need to. Robbie is going to be out for atleast half the season. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

We have other guys…but they aren’t as good and we have plenty of room for guys long term.  In fact, they are enhancing his versatility (something the team values) for this very reason.

He’s not being dealt for Cease.

Yes, this is what we said about Andrew Vaughn.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic