Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Stroman is a really solid pitcher, but the Yankees lack a #2 behind Cole and that really isn’t Marcus.  Plus it seems like half the world hates Stroman so my guess is he is not a great clubhouse guy.

Rodon is a great #2 if healthy but not sure how you can count on that at this point.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Couple of ways to look at this, not sure what’s going on:

- Yanks don’t want to pay the money or prospects for Snell/Cease

- Yanks can still add Cease to go with Stroman, as this gives them two starters for the price of Snell

- leaked interest to try and get Sox to lower asking price 

Seems to be a lot of negotiating through the press the pass few days. Whether NYY is actually interested in Stroman or not, this feels like their counter to Getz’s comments yesterday. There is probably some truth to all three points, but putting it out there that NY is looking elsewhere definitely feels aimed at Getz to me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s not a bad rotation if Rodon regains his 2022 form but asking for that is a far far bigger maybe than Cease regaining his 2022 form.

My "Rick Hahn" reaction is that the Yankees have 1 super reliable guy, one innings eater, then 3 questionable up and down guys with limited or inconsistent histories, and not a lot of depth behind them, but it's super hard to add anyone else to the rotation because no one is currently hurt and there's no obvious person to say "you're in the bullpen/minors" if everyone comes in healthy. So, they sign Stroman, but they can't trade for Cease or sign Snell because they don't have a slot open for him, but there's no obvious backup plan for if and when Rodon gets hurt or whatever else.

This was the Hahn in 2022 setup - "you can't sign another pitcher because you can't bench anyone so we're going to sign the dregs and put them in the bullpen", and then Lynn, Kopech, and Giolito are hurt early leaving their rotation for a week as Cease, Martin, Velasquez, "please let Cueto get here soon", and Mr. Offday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My "Rick Hahn" reaction is that the Yankees have 1 super reliable guy, one innings eater, then 3 questionable up and down guys with limited or inconsistent histories, and not a lot of depth behind them, but it's super hard to add anyone else to the rotation because no one is currently hurt and there's no obvious person to say "you're in the bullpen/minors" if everyone comes in healthy. So, they sign Stroman, but they can't trade for Cease or sign Snell because they don't have a slot open for him, but there's no obvious backup plan for if and when Rodon gets hurt or whatever else.

This was the Hahn in 2022 setup - "you can't sign another pitcher because you can't bench anyone so we're going to sign the dregs and put them in the bullpen", and then Lynn, Kopech, and Giolito are hurt early leaving their rotation for a week as Cease, Martin, Velasquez, "please let Cueto get here soon", and Mr. Offday.

Couldn’t they easily move Schmidt to the long relief/6th starter role? That seems like an obvious move regardless because he’s pretty meh.

I don't think signing Stroman should deter them from trading for Cease. Someone posted the rotation with the last couple pages and he can definitely bump Clarke Schmidt to the pen. Might be better to add Cease and Stroman than just signing Snell.

Plus, Rodon is no picture of health and Cortes missed time last year.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

11 hours ago, fathom said:

Mets might be out on Cease due to finances?

11 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Weird.  I’d rather add Cease as a starter at $8 million for 2024 and sign some flier relievers on minor league deals.  I think that would be more impactful than wasting your last $10 million on free agent relievers.  That would be the Hahn strategy.

Trade for Cease, bump Houser to the pen. Make the rotation and pen stronger.

25 minutes ago, striker said:

How about the Brewers as a dark horse? Cease provides a bridge to soften when Burnes leaves. They have a lot of interesting prospect and pitching depth.

Why would they want Cease? Next year he will be in the same situation as Burnes is right now for them. I don’t see them giving up prospects for that.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would they want Cease? Next year he will be in the same situation as Burnes is right now for them. I don’t see them giving up prospects for that.

They seem like a team that wants to contend but won’t spend money to do so. The fact he would be in the same spot as Burnes a year later is kind of irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They seem like a team that wants to contend but won’t spend money to do so. The fact he would be in the same spot as Burnes a year later is kind of irrelevant.

No it’s not. If they aren’t going to pay Burnes then they aren’t going to pay Cease either. If they were a legit World Series contender at this moment it would make sense to do an all-in move like trading for Cease but they are not.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

No it’s not. If they aren’t going to pay Burnes then they aren’t going to pay Cease either. If they were a legit World Series contender at this moment it would make sense to do an all-in move like trading for Cease but they are not.

They’re probably a contender for their division already. Thats all that matters. Just gotta get in.

That division is pretty open, even though I think Cards probably bounce back and win it. Those good organizations don’t stay bad long.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They’re probably a contender for their division already. Thats all that matters. Just gotta get in.

That division is pretty open, even though I think Cards probably bounce back and win it. Those good organizations don’t stay bad long.

I am not sure about the Cardinals.  Their projected starting rotation age is 35 and questionable bullpen.  Goldschmidt is 37 this year with declining bat speed.  Cincinnati looks better than the Cardinals. 

Just now, Snowy Demon said:

I am not sure about the Cardinals.  Their projected starting rotation age is 35 and questionable bullpen.  Goldschmidt is 37 this year with declining bat speed.  Cincinnati looks better than the Cardinals. 

Yeah, I don’t really like the signings of both Lynn and Gibson. Maybe one as the 5th starter but not both. 

I’m sure Cubs will be favorites once they add two of Bellinger/Hoskins/Chapman.

28 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Makes them more a legit contender in 2024 and 2025. They can re-evaluate at the trade deadline and if they aren't in it and don't feel like they can compete in 2025, then they trade Burnes and Cease. Small market team with a low cost high end pitcher. Ashby + Mitchell + Wiemer, sign me up.

Bowden’s latest article in the Athletic is a bunch of Q&A, but with several questions on Cease.  Says to no surprise that the Orioles & Yankees are leading the pursuit and that Getz is asking for too much right now.  He then addressed a specific question on a hypothetical from BAL of Westburg + Kjerstad/Cowser + Povich + Urias + a lower level prospect or two and said that “should be pretty close to what a final trade would look like”.

I’d be pretty ecstatic if we could get Westburg + Kjerstad + Povich.

• Like 2

Might be a double post but this article from Jesse Rogers this morning presents a different look inside the process that I haven't seen yet.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39272529/mlb-free-agency-dylan-cease-white-sox-trade-rumors-fits-2023-2024

Two quotes that stand out:

"According to rivals who have negotiated with Chicago, Getz has been deliberate and straightforward in his new role so there's no reason to expect he will rush what would immediately become his signature move as White Sox general manager. ... Getz's no-nonsense style of negotiating has also led to a clear picture of what kind of package it will take to get a deal done, according to teams that have engaged in talks with the White Sox this offseason: Multiple high-end prospects (one won't be enough) and some "fill-ins."

"During negotiations and after completing a five-for-one deal for reliever Aaron Bummer, the Braves spoke to the White Sox about Cease, according to league sources. Chicago is in need of middle infielders, and second baseman Vaughn Grissom was on the table. But Getz stuck to his asking price and Atlanta couldn't offer the multiple high-end prospects needed to complete a trade. (The Braves pivoted by acquiring Chris Sale from the Boston Red Sox for Grissom.)"

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic