Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Orioles will circle back of course and Chris Getz will turn them the other way around. I doubt Getz is gonna budge therefore a deal will not get done and that is perfectly fine with me. 
Should not settle for any less than Kjerstad and Westburg. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The one concern: Santos finished the 2023 season on the injured list with elbow inflammation. The Mariners plan to ease him into things during spring training in hopes he’ll be ready to go on opening day.

This has nothing to do with someone who has a diagnosed UCL injury severe enough to warrant a PRP injection. 

7 minutes ago, Baron said:

Nothing new or maybe? Bruce is weird. 

Without clicking on the link, did Bruce say anything concrete or just speculation on his part?

We really don't know yet how Getz does or doesn't negotiate through the media, so Bob saying one thing and Levine another could mean absolutely nothing.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Without clicking on the link, did Bruce say anything concrete or just speculation on his part?

We really don't know yet how Getz does or doesn't negotiate through the media, so Bob saying one thing and Levine another could mean absolutely nothing.

He said nothing basically

• Like 1

Sure sounds like just speculation.

The circumstances changed on Thursday as the Orioles announced two of their starting pitchers will go on the injured list to open the regular season.

Orioles starter Kyle Brandish has a UCL sprain and will be out for at least the beginning of April. Fellow starter John Means has been slowed in his rehab from left elbow surgery and is a month behind other pitchers. This new dynamic alone makes Cease possibly the best and the cheapest option for top-of-the-rotation help.

With free-agent pitchers Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery still looking for a home in 2024, the Orioles could decide that they must put the best trade package together for Cease, who is earning just $8 million this season. Montgomery and Snell will be looking for multi-year deals that start with $22 million and up per season.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would think that if the Orioles asked again about Cease, it's with a substantially stronger offer than before.

If Getz wanted Cowser, he kind of has a poor man's version in Fletcher now (I realize there is a big gap in talent). As much as we would prefer Kjerstad, Getz hates that profile right or wrong (and he's wrong), so I wonder if he just says Westburg and Bradfield (Robert insurance for later) as the key pieces with Beavers 3rd and a pitcher 4th.

It's still an aggressive package but put together differently. 

BTV says Westburg, Bradfield, Beavers and Povich = 51.70

Cease= 42.40.

The 10% SP premium from Burnes precedent puts 42.40 to about 47 which is close to 51.70 and the other 4.7 million would be the desperation premium. :)

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If Getz wanted Cowser, he kind of has a poor man's version in Fletcher now (I realize there is a big gap in talent). As much as we would prefer Kjerstad, Getz hates that profile right or wrong (and he's wrong), so I wonder if he just says Westburg and Bradfield (Robert insurance for later) as the key pieces with Beavers 3rd and a pitcher 4th.

It's still an aggressive package but put together differently. 

BTV says Westburg, Bradfield, Beavers and Povich = 51.70

Cease= 42.40.

The 10% SP premium from Burnes precedent puts 42.40 to about 47 which is close to 51.70 and the other 4.7 million would be the desperation premium. :)

That seems like an overpay on the Orioles side simply due to Povich as the #4.  Downgrade that piece quite a bit and I think that's reasonable.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That seems like an overpay on the Orioles side simply due to Povich as the #4.  Downgrade that piece quite a bit and I think that's reasonable.

51.70 for 42.40 isn't a massive overpay with the SP premium and the fact that the trade partner is or should be somewhat desperate.

Getz is gonna insist on a SP somewhere in the package and we need more LHP.

47 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Orioles circled back on Cease the other day apparently. No idea if it’ll be them but I’ve talked to people who still think he moves. 

And it’s not gonna go anywhere, Chris Getz is rightfully holding firm. Unless they’re giving up Basallo or Mayo for Jesus Luzardo, they’ll probably end up with a Shane Bieber or another lesser tiered trade target than Cease. 

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

This has nothing to do with someone who has a diagnosed UCL injury severe enough to warrant a PRP injection. 

No, I was just clarifying what the Santos injury was originally diagnosed as...

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Rey21 said:

And it’s not gonna go anywhere, Chris Getz is rightfully holding firm. Unless they’re giving up Basallo or Mayo for Jesus Luzardo, they’ll probably end up with a Shane Bieber or another lesser tiered trade target than Cease. 

Still think Miami would have to be overwhelmed...why would a playoff team give up their best starter with Alacantara out?

50 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Levine is on 670 right now. It sounds like VERY informed speculation after being at White Sox camp today. He said that talks with Baltimore are expected. 

Good. 

However, if Westburg has been the key element that has kept the parties apart this whole time, the fact that Elias already traded away Ortiz may make it more difficult for him to part with another IFer (assuming Getz doesn't think Norby can stick at 2B).

On the other hand they are desperate. 

Kjerstad, Westburg and Povich (3) OR Westburg, Bradfield, Beavers and Povich (4).

Get it done

Edited by SoCalChiSox

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Good. 

However, if Westburg has been the key element that has kept the parties apart this whole time, the fact that Elias already traded away Ortiz may make it more difficult for him to part with another IFer (assuming Getz doesn't think Norby can stick at 2B).

On the other hand they are desperate. 

Kjerstad, Westburg and Povich (3) OR Westburg, Bradfield, Beavers and Povich (4).

Get it done

I would say Westburg is totally off limits now 

Just now, fathom said:

I would say Westburg is totally off limits now 

Same.

Orioles can still put together a plenty fine package without him though. If they are willing is the real question. I'm hard on the Bradfield train personally.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic