Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, mac9001 said:

While the return doesn't blow me away I think people are vastly underrating Thorpe. The kid has some elite numbers that tend to transfer over to the big leagues. Zavala as a 19 year old put up a .420 OBP in low A ball and played CF. 

Thorpe probably slides in as our #2 and Zavala might be our #4 best prospect and probably no lower than #5.

Note: I do believe Schultz will probably be out best pitching prospect by end of year, but right now you have to put Thorpe slightly ahead of him on production alone.

Something tells me they may have given up Thorpe because he was throwing that reported 88 mph. Otherwise, maybe the name is different.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Kjerstad , Norby and Beavers would have been received better by the fan base. We like hitters more than pitchers. Of course I really like Beavers. Think his stock is rising. Kjerstad and Beavers both could be the LH savages.

If only they had this kind of starting pitching depth in 2003/10/12 etc.

But yeah most baseball fans love the hitting side more than the pitching aspect.

KW's whole philosophy was essentially giving Sox fans 7-11 games with lots of fireworks going off.

Emminently preferable to what we will see the next couple of years out of the offense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We got a SP ranked in the 60’s, another SP ranked in the 90 to 120 range, and a kid that is likely in the 100 to 150 range.  That’s way more than those two were expecting no matter how much they want to spin this.  I wouldn’t use the word “steep” to describe it, but I think it’s a roughly fair return and much more than what we would have gotten if opposing GMs valued him as the 2023 version.

When people in the industry use the term steep I kinda roll my eyes when “palehosefan321” posting on Soxtalk says the deal stinks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

While the return doesn't blow me away I think people are vastly underrating Thorpe. The kid has some elite numbers that tend to transfer over to the big leagues. Zavala as a 19 year old put up a .420 OBP in low A ball and played CF. 

Thorpe probably slides in as our #2 and Zavala might be our #4 best prospect and probably no lower than #5.

Note: I do believe Schultz will probably be out best pitching prospect by end of year, but right now you have to put Thorpe slightly ahead of him on production alone.

This is more an expression of their inability to find the kind of elite guys they gathered up during the last rebuild than it is a strong supporting statement for these guys. 

Perhaps this works better, but this statement illustrates how they are trying to rebuild based on depth alone. It's at least different from Hahn, but not obviously better?

And elite numbers without elite velocity is a harder thing to say will translate. Sometimes it's Buehrle, often it isn't.

3 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No, but I thought that the goal was to turn this around as quickly as possible. 

Come on, this is going to take years to turn around no matter what Jerry and Getz say. This isn’t a 1-2 year rebuild. If they’re competitive in 2026/2027, I’d consider that a win. I have no interest in burning service time on old prospects like Hall and Ortiz in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Does it give you pause that after the news broke you sprinted here to try and get your rocks off?

Nah. I just thought it was hilarious how wrong you guys were and it entertains me to see you all twist yourself into a pretzel as to why this deal is so good even though 2 months ago you would have whined like a baby if it was suggested to you this would be the deal.

All the s%*# you guys talked…you deserve it to be thrown back in your faces, just as we would have deserved it if you got the bigger deal you felt you would get.

7 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No, but I thought that the goal was to turn this around as quickly as possible. 

i think that was a huge load of bs jerry sold to explain a gm hire no one else would have made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If they're wrong do they get fired?

How many times were Kenny and Hahn wrong before they were fired?  JR has made countless dumb decisions but he isn’t going to fire himself.  If Grifol is still the Sox manager, I’m sure Getz has many years to prove himself, or his failure.

Just another Getz trade where it seems that we didn't make the other team feel any pain.  They gave up none of their best products. We gave up one of the best pitchers in baseball.  The best prospect they relinquished is the player they just got from the Yankees (a red flag in itself), so there isn't the sense of loss.
And then, of course, the obligatory middle reliever, which I suppose is better than getting a utility infielder.

I suppose the return is okay, but nothing special and disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Nah. I just thought it was hilarious how wrong you guys were and it entertains me to see you all twist yourself into a pretzel as to why this deal is so good even though 2 months ago you would have whined like a baby if it was suggested to you this would be the deal.

All the s%*# you guys talked…you deserve it to be thrown back in your faces, just as we would have deserved it if you got the bigger deal you felt you would get.

Shouldn’t you be more worried about your team’s injuries and your new starter acquisition looking like a tee ball stand this spring?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Well it sure is a different looking group of players from the disaster core, TLR + Colson thing we had going for years.  That group made me quit being a fan of baseball after decades.  Maybe these guys will bring me back

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

post 6 more times then leave. let the number of the beast brand your s%*# posts. 

• Like 3

• Heads22 unpinned this topic