Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs

caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Luis Robert pretty much the only answer there…or Colson doing an 85-90% impression of Corey Seager while remaining healthy over multiple seasons with Robert as well.

There’s your Sox versions of Semien and Seager.  

The problem here is the rest of the team, just like 2016…and losing Burger simply due to the burdensome Moncada and Benintendi contracts is even more annoying by the day.

Jim Callis was on Sox Machine and said he'd take Eder over Burger. Thinks Burger is who he was on the Sox. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If I am Jerry I give Ohtani the biggest contract in baseball history by a good amount and then sell the team next year

Or sell the team to Ohtani with the contact and blank check endorsement deals he will get lined up

Ohtani isn't going to the Cubs, there are just 10 million people in the metro area and sizeable percentage of them will read an article that makes their team and city look good...or bad. TBH I don't appreciate how these articles that are essentially forum posts get published. It's basically just a summary of some teams in big markets rosters followed by "Shohei Ohtani is a good player who can both pitch and hit and will help a team." thrilling analysis. 

Signing a guy like Ohtani isn't just about what he gives your team in odds to make the playoffs, it's also about how much revenue his presence alone adds to the team

youre telling me that there's no way that the Sox could profit off his signing for the duration of his contract, even if it's a mega deal 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Signing a guy like Ohtani isn't just about what he gives your team in odds to make the playoffs, it's also about how much revenue his presence alone adds to the team

youre telling me that there's no way that the Sox could profit off his signing for the duration of his contract, even if it's a mega deal 

If the Cubs signed him, they would get an entire country of Marquee subscribers.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Quin said:

The fact that the Sox are burning payroll to the ground and can't get in the sweepstakes is disgraceful.

Like we all knew it and there's no way Ohtani would have ever come here, but goddamnit Jerry.

If he signs with CHC that will be a massive punch to the dick. 

I dont think he likes cold weather tho and I don't believe the Cubs will be able to outbid the Dodgers. 

On 11/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, ScootsMcGoots said:

Obviously not a cubs fan, lol, but if he went there I think it would be great for the city of Chicago

If he picks the Cubs, wow. The Sox really should move at that point. The Sox will have their 12,000 loyal fans (including all of us on here). The Cubs will own the city and he'll be the new Chicago sports icon (Hull, Banks, Minnie, Big Hurt, Butkus, Sayers, Payton). Not sir Michael though. He's forever in a class by himself. Sox should sell team and get Ohtani.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can honestly say the A's with the LV destination eventually in mind would have better odds than the Sox.

Mariners have also said they will not consider Ohtani.

So White Sox either 29th or 30th, although Mariners would still be favored head to head...but what about the Pirates, Guardians, Rays or Royals?

From MLB.com:

The Angels and Cubs have been considered the other finalists to sign Ohtani, though USA Today's Bob Nightengale heard from one high-ranking official on Tuesday who said Chicago had balked at Ohtani's price tag. The Cubs "appear to now be out of the bidding," Nightengale writes.

However, MLB Network insider Jon Heyman heard differently, reporting that the Cubs have "not been informed that they're out on Ohtani." Heyman followed that up by saying it doesn’t mean that the report is untrue, but the Cubs haven’t heard that they're out on Ohtani. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From MLB.com:

The Angels and Cubs have been considered the other finalists to sign Ohtani, though USA Today's Bob Nightengale heard from one high-ranking official on Tuesday who said Chicago had balked at Ohtani's price tag. The Cubs "appear to now be out of the bidding," Nightengale writes.

However, MLB Network insider Jon Heyman heard differently, reporting that the Cubs have "not been informed that they're out on Ohtani." Heyman followed that up by saying it doesn’t mean that the report is untrue, but the Cubs haven’t heard that they're out on Ohtani. 

Now the pressure is REALLY on the Cubs to at least get Nakamoto...same with the SF Giants, if they fail on Ohtani as well.

Cubs fans are not going to easily accept that "secondary option" in the Japanese market that's going to cost roughly $125-150 million less.

• Quin changed the title to Ohtani Watch: Private flights to Toronto are being monitored
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs