Bummer to ATL

Nokona

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Soroka's a good gamble.

But also lmao Nicky Lopez.

Kenny Williams Chris Getz always lands his man.

In all seriousness, I don't think Hahn scores this type of haul for Bummer. He would be happy with one or two players acquired before heading to Michigan for a 10 day Thanksgiving Day break.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Man, f*** the new rule about not being able to get above the #10 pick. 

Here are the 14 teams without this limitation.

Revenue Sharing Recipients:

Rank listed is among the 30 MLB teams, not overall as several larger US markets do not have a team. Teams in red do not get revenue sharing

Market data source link based on 2022 US population estimates 

+ 1 for Toronto (applicable for populations under 6.20M)

• 30th Milwaukee (41st 1.56M)
  • 29th Cleveland (34th 2.16M)
  • 28th Kansas City (32nd 2.21M)
  • 27th Cincinnati (31st 2.26M)
  • 26th Las Vegas (30th 2.32M)
  • 25th Pittsburgh (27th 2.43M)
  • 24th Saint Louis (22nd 2.80M)
  • 23rd Baltimore (21st 2.85M)
  • 22nd Denver (20th 2.99M)
  • 21st San Diego (19th 3.28M)
  • 20th Tampa Bay (18th 3.29M)
  • 19th Minnesota (17th 3.69M)
  • 18th Seattle (16th 4.03M)
  • 17th Detroit (15th 4.35M)
  • 16th San Francisco (14th 4.58M)
  • 14th Chicago Cubs (13th 4.64M - Total 3rd overall 9.274M / 2 teams)
  • 14th Chicago White Sox (13th 4.64M - Total 3rd overall 9.274M / 2 teams)
  • 13th Boston (12th 4.90M)
  • 12th Arizona (11th 5.02M)
  • 11th Miami (10th 6.14M)
  • 10th Toronto (9th 6.20M)
  • 9th Atlanta (8th 6.24M)
  • 8th Philadelphia (7th 6.24M)
  • 7th District of Columbia (6th 6.27M)
  • 5th Los Angeles Angels (5th 6.44M - Total 2nd overall 12.872M / 2 teams)
  • 5th Los Angeles Dodgers (5th 6.44M - Total 2nd overall 12.872M / 2 teams)
  • 4th Houston (3rd 7.37M)
  • 3rd Arlington (2nd 7.94M)
  • 1st New York Mets (1st 9.78M - Total 1st overall 19.557M / 2 teams)
  • 1st New York Yankees (1st 9.78M - Total 1st overall 19.557M / 2 teams)

Not sure why the ninth and tenth largest US markets get revenue sharing, especially since they are over 400,000 larger than the former combined San Francisco/Oakland market.

On the other end of the stick, Saint Louis (24th largest MLB market / 21st overall) and San Diego (21st/18th) are penalized for fielding competitive teams fans enjoy supporting.

Nicky Lopez had 1 HR and a .581 OPS the past two seasons (742 plate appearances). 

The Sox are plenty familiar with Lopez from his days with the Royals. The 28-year-old has received elite grades for his defense at both middle infield spots and in more limited time at third base. It’s an all-glove profile, as Lopez has bottom-of-the-scale power. He’s a .228/.297/.284 hitter in 742 plate appearances over the past two seasons.

Billy Hamilton had a .620 OPS in 2021 (only had 25 MLB ABs 2022-2023). Just sayin', and doubled his HR output over a weekend. :D

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m surprised how positive people are on this trade. This is a bunch of trash with limited upside. I like the single A guy I guess. 

Reminds me of acquiring 4 Ryan cordells 

Soroka is intriguing. Supposed to be a good hockey player.

This is the type of roster construction i honestly was hoping for. Take some flyers out on guys with previously high upside and fill up your minor league pipeline while jettisoning some "known" pieces that are essentially worthless to a team like the 2024 Sox.

On the surface, i like this trade. Let's see how they Sox it up.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Soroka's a good gamble.

But also lmao Nicky Lopez.

I think Atlanta mostly wanted to make roster space with that trade. Atlanta gets several roster spots and a reliever and the sox can hope for soroka bouncing back and maybe shuster and shewmake becoming decent depth options for utility infielder/6th starter.

• Like 1

Getz jackpot dumpster dive while he takes one thing out out of his shopping cart . More removed today.

Getz will be in homeless GM heaven picking through all the non tenders.

Owner laughs at idea of acquiring Ohtani, expects a quick turnaround back to contention while slashing payroll.

GM Getzy the glitzy garbage gatherer. Go Getzy Go !

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Getz jackpot dumpster dive while he takes one thing out out of his shopping cart . More removed today.

Getz will be in homeless GM heaven picking through all the non tenders.

Owner laughs at idea of acquiring Ohtani, expects a quick turnaround back to contention while slashing payroll.

GM Getzy the glitzy garbage gatherer. Go Getzy Go !

Yeah the JR cannot waste a year then cutting payroll is not putting his money where his mouth is. Most, if not all of these guys are going to suck, Bummer will probably be a bit better with Atlanta, but I don’t hate this trade, although Lopez will probably get too much playing time.

Hard to complain. Upside is pretty limited, but the upside includes having two more solid starting pitchers this year which is worth something. Nicky Lopez isn't inspiring but he's a positive value player who shouldn't be irritating to watch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hard to complain. Upside is pretty limited, but the upside includes having two more solid starting pitchers this year which is worth something. Nicky Lopez isn't inspiring but he's a positive value player who shouldn't be irritating to watch.

I'm hoping if the Sox are bringing Lopez to arbitration, he is a utility player filling in a game plus each week at 2B, SS and 3B, while giving the younger Sox players a chance to establish themselves at 2B and SS. 

No need to "try to win now" with a lineup of guys like Lopez, Elvis, Salvy and Adam Duvall playing until they break down / get injured / get DFA'd, with guys like Clint Frazer, Tony Kemp and Jake Lamb waiting in the wings.

Unless Tony remains in charge, I don't see them signing a bunch of guys on their last MLB contract like in the Hahn era. Banks is the only player older than 30 on the current roster, and beyond an inning eater or two like Shaw or perhaps a starter or two, hopefully it will remain a youth oriented roster in 2024, to determine what pieces could be valuable in 2025 and beyond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I’m surprised how positive people are on this trade. This is a bunch of trash with limited upside. I like the single A guy I guess. 

I get this, but aaron bummer sucks. I'll take 4 guys who likely suck for 1 because the math is in my favor on maybe one not sucking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nice trade by Getzy.  He traded  a setup man (and $6.75M) to fill 2 positions of dire need. He got two 25 yr old former 1st round pitchers and 2 solid middle infielders so they can shoot Romy and Sosa into the sun.  Keep getting the bums off this roster. 

And Shewmake was a former 1st round pick himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I’m guessing it’s because Shuster and Shewmake were relatively recent first round picks.  But Shewmake is 26 already and can’t hit and Shuster is a AAAA arm. The real hope to get value out of this is having Soroka revert to 2019 form and then flip him.

• Like 1

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic