Giolito speaks...

Lip Man 1

3 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Just to keep Nastrini, Eder and some of the other farm arms in the farm…  I do like the thought of Giolito and Flaherty on short deals with the Sox. 

Give me both on 1-year deals, 1+1 option yr deal or even a 2+1 yr deal (for Gio). I won’t kid myself thinking this makes us playoff contenders necessarily, but they also could be trade fodder if they perform and the Sox are bad. 

Assuming Cease is traded, you would roll with something like Giolito, Flaherty, Soroka, Shuster and Kopech… with Touki as a 6th. And that’s not even considering anything you add from Cease or Eloy if traded. 

Or you roll with Cease, Giolito, Flaherty, Soroka and Kopech with Shuster in AAA if you keep Dylan. 

I would think maybe Shuster in the minors since he has an option and then use Touki in the 5th spot as a placeholder for someone to grab the spot from the minors like Nastrini or Eder. Or Shuster after some minor league success.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would think maybe Shuster in the minors since he has an option and then use Touki in the 5th spot as a placeholder for someone to grab the spot from the minors like Nastrini or Eder. Or Shuster after some minor league success.

Yeah, that sounds doable. I just prefer short deals with Giolito and Flaherty compared to say, Montas and/or Severino. 

6 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I believe Gio wants to sign with the Sox thus his less than truthful analysis of what went wrong with the Sox last season, he couldn’t call out the players individually and of course couldn’t say that the team was managed by a complete idiot and who was the most incompetent manager the Sox have had in my lifetime.

I mean, what kind of person leaves his job and then trashes the organization and his former coworkers publicly? true pro.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe you have a misunderstanding of how most interviews work. Usually it's a controlled situation where the person agrees to be interviewed as long as the interviewer doesn't put the interviewee on the hot seat about anything controversial.

No player in their right mind really wants to bash anyone while they are still capable of earning a paycheck. That can come back to bite you in your ass . It's the Bull Durham school of how to speak to the media.

you should listen to the bbc some time. there are ways to ask difficult questions respectfully and get interesting answers. you make my point, he said nothing interesting and most journalists are wimps and bad at their jobs.  

Edited by nrockway

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Maybe you are too young but do you remember Terry Bevington who argued for a call to hurt his own team and who took out a pitcher without having another warming up? 

That’s funny being too young, I’m 78 and yes I do remember Bevington and his being a joke of a manager but I still think Grifol is worse.

22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

current

current

268x268_Keuchel_1280a_u88w2tvl_700rfib9.

Noticing a trend, what are they hiding under those things?Untrustworthy.

Lance and keuchel are particularly funny, I guess it’s the phantom napper’s fault he nearly set the record for home runs given up. I think the highest hr/9 for qualified starters ever. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I believe Gio wants to sign with the Sox thus his less than truthful analysis of what went wrong with the Sox last season, he couldn’t call out the players individually and of course couldn’t say that the team was managed by a complete idiot and who was the most incompetent manager the Sox have had in my lifetime.

Not to derail the thread as I like Gio, but until the Sox get rid of Pedro they can't be taken seriously. How in the world can this team sell any tickets? Who would be dumb enough to pay baseball 2023 prices to go out to GRate and watch this team play baseball? There are minor league options, folks, though those prices have gone up,too. How in the world can they keep Pedro. What do they see in him? Geez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Not to derail the thread as I like Gio, but until the Sox get rid of Pedro they can't be taken seriously. How in the world can this team sell any tickets? Who would be dumb enough to pay baseball 2023 prices to go out to GRate and watch this team play baseball? There are minor league options, folks, though those prices have gone up,too. How in the world can they keep Pedro. What do they see in him? Geez.

I agree on Grifol, how this Bozo kept his job is a huge mystery.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The good news is that if the park is as empty as it should be, there won’t be much money going there either. This brand has been completely trashed - by Jerry and company.

But JR and the franchise will be making money hand over foot from all the local and national and international advertising, marketing and media deals. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But JR and the franchise will be making money hand over foot from all the local and national and international advertising, marketing and media deals. 

Yep. The fan attendance is a small portion of the revenue. 

They know all of the revenue before the season starts except for fan revenue. This is why KW always said that in season moves depended on fan attedance. It's the only unknown variable. 

13 hours ago, mac9001 said:

You gotta figure he's going to get more than Lopez. I think people are vastly underestimating what he's going to get.

I don't know about the option for a second year, but the "$10-12 million/one Clevinger" price for starters who struggled last year and are taking one-year prove it deals seems pretty well set in.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:16 AM, poppysox said:

Both Bevington and LaRussa were far worse than Pedro IMO.

LaRussa part 2. I liked part 1. Like most movies, the sequel sucked. 

One thing I really respect about Bevington is his love for the game. He was managing in an independent league when I met him. He really looked like he gave a damn on a 103° night in front of hundreds of opposing fans. 

On 11/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

I agree on Grifol, how this Bozo kept his job is a huge mystery.

He's a smooth talking corporate boot licker. It should be no surprise that he's kept his job. 

That dude is totally out of his league and is getting by on buzzwords and doing exactly as he's told from mgmt. He knows he will never get another MLB manager job or salary so he will do whatever he can to string it out as long as possible.

He's basically just like the guy that hired him in a sense.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yep. The fan attendance is a small portion of the revenue. 

They know all of the revenue before the season starts except for fan revenue. This is why KW always said that in season moves depended on fan attedance. It's the only unknown variable. 

It ranges from 20-30% for most MLB teams now, depending on the market size/local RSN deal.

Used to be much closer to 40-55% for the majority of teams as recently as the 80's and early 90s.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:10 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think there's a decent chance Gio comes back on a 1 yr prove it deal.  Get back with Katz and bring his buddy Flaherty here and they figure s%*# out.  They both put up good seasons and get paid next year.  

The problem with this, is Flaherty stinks and the problem with Gio is his stuff not his mechanics.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd be surprised if you had to offer him that much, but yeah, I'd offer him something. Flaherty 1/10, Giolito 1/12. Maybe even try to get 1/15 team options on both.  If not, you're protected with the QO if all things go right for them.

Fat Lynn just signed for 10 million. Gio if it was 1 year would be 15-18 minimum.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The problem with this, is Flaherty stinks and the problem with Gio is his stuff not his mechanics.

Either one of those guys on the White Sox in 2024 would be pretty shocking if they're actually trading Cease...it makes zero sense to spend that type of money and years (Giolito likely to get at least 3 at a minimum) that will be required.

If you can find that next "bargain zone" of guys in that tranche of projects (like Derek Holland in past years) between $5-9 million, sure....go for it.   You might sign three and get a positive net trade return back on just one of them, based on past odds of success with this flip strategy.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Either one of those guys on the White Sox in 2024 would be pretty shocking if they're actually trading Cease...it makes zero sense to spend that type of money and years (Giolito likely to get at least 3 at a minimum) that will be required.

If you can find that next "bargain zone" of guys in that tranche of projects (like Derek Holland in past years) between $5-9 million, sure....go for it.   You might sign three and get a positive net trade return back on just one of them, based on past odds of success with this flip strategy.

It actually makes complete sense to sign guys like Gio and Flaherty after trading Cease.

If, for some reason, either of them find the velocity that has left them and caused them to become very hitable they become valuable assets at the deadline, and there's no risk to signing a one year deal.

Cease would be traded because he has value, which is why they'd sign guys like gio and Flaherty.

I think Gio has shown an ability to evolve so I'd have more faith in him being more creative and evolving, but Flaherty  is done. Always hurt, bad shoulder, career not bouncing back in my opinion.