Jerry visits Nashville mayor

Quin

19 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Was it here I read that if JR sold while he was still horizontal, the capital gains tax would be around $200Mill plus whatever IDOR would need? Thats a lot of quid going to Uncle

You are correct with the capital gains tax hit and that doesn't even count the Illinois state tax hit.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But for many years in his stadium deal, I don't know if this still the case, the state of Illinois actually PAID the Sox if the attendance fell below a certain level.

Why the state would agree to this is beyond comprehension and it basically pays ownership not to try to win. 

So why would you leave an area with this type of deal, you think you'd get that in Nashville?

Had to fall below 1.2 and 800k thresholds...

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I think they might. INVEST South/West is one of the stupidest programs in city history and is pouring public money into the south side so that developers can 'rejuvenate' blighted areas. GRF doesn't qualify for that program, but right over the freeway does, and the potential tax base increase has to appeal to the city if a sports franchise wants to re-develop 100 acres of parking lots and perhaps the former Stateway Gardens site.

Every city is obsessed with 'public-private partnerships' especially if it's "equitable" which I think it would be an easy sell to build an entertainment district that would predominantly serve middle-class Asian and black communities (and everyone else arriving on the red line and freeway). This is JR's leverage to get the city to fund a large portion of it. I doubt he'll build it in his lifetime but these stunts he performs have to raise the value of the team. My conspiracy theory is that a Chinese billionaire (Joe Tsai) will buy the team whenever Jerry croaks and do it.

Have you looked at the state of Alibaba/BABA stock?

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/12/6/23990963/white-sox-chairman-jerry-reinsdorf-meets-with-nashville-mayor

"Most people in the baseball industry don’t see major league baseball approving a move by the Sox to Nashville, which wants an expansion team." 

"Mayor O’Connell has stood against private funding for a hypothetical major league baseball stadium."

Public, not private. I know it says private in that article but that's not correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once Baltimore’s stadium is resolved, possibly over the next month or two, I see MLB naming two expansion cities over the next 12-18 months. Jerry isn’t going to get to move to Nashville as it will be likely one of two cities awarded an expansion franchise.

I also can’t see him creating a new television network with Wirtz next year  and nuking the value of that entity for some one time shakedown out of state.

I also don’t see the Mayor or Governor racing to hand out hundreds of millions to a billion plus in new subsidies before their next elections.

Jerry also has to live another few years which is not a certainty by any means.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

i still don't believe the league would let him move. 

I do. If they tell him no, then they limit themselves if they ever want to move. Why would owners stop each other? They may charge him a few million and line their pockets a little more. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Have you looked at the state of Alibaba/BABA stock?

I don't mean Tsai specifically but I suspect Chinese nationals will become increasingly interested in investing in American sports/real estate developments and that Bridgeport/Armour Square/Douglas will be majority Asian probably in the next decade (at least the areas close to the park). Looks like a good business opportunity if I'm a Chinese billionaire.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world are you talking about?

Jerry is an owner with a lot of influence and tenure. The mayor could have asked him to meet to discuss what is necessary to have a successful expansion franchise. The mayor could be lining up support from owners for their expansion bid. 

After that Jerry will use it to his advantage. 

• Like 1

Nashville Mayor also has Jewish descent, is a progressive Democrat, and appears to have ideological views that are in line with some of Jerry's. Sounds like a good man from what I have read.

Meanwhile, Sox aren't goin' nowhere and our fan base is strong. Don't take this dinner as something designed for cheap leverage or like paparazzi reporting of TayTay and Kelce. The Sox are already in a commanding contractual position with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority and the City and they will stay right here.

All of the consternation I read here seems to point to the necessity to add talent and try to compete rather than selling and trading off talent. I expect the Sox will spend on talent if the right deal comes along. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

I asked this in another thread. Do people really think that some one is going to buy the Sox and spend the team into the red? Owners just don't do that. The teams that spend well over the luxury tax are the highest revenue teams which cover that deficit.

Owners spend in the first 5 years due to the tax breaks but then it slows down. Look at Cohen. Last season everyone was going crazy with "look at how he was spending." It's already slowed and the Mets are a much higher revenue team.

I just don't see anyone buying the team and the situation being much different. People will hate the next billionaire as well. Until they win.

Bull.s%*#.

Every year, teams consistently spend less and far out pace the White Sox, and in many cases it’s the same organizations consistently (Brewers, Twins, Indians, etc)

Money/Payroll is far from the only issue with Jerry. It’s how he runs this organization. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tray said:

Nashville Mayor also has Jewish descent, is a progressive Democrat, and appears to have ideological views that are in line with some of Jerry's. Sounds like a good man from what I have read.

Meanwhile, Sox aren't goin' nowhere and our fan base is strong. Don't take this dinner as something designed for cheap leverage or like paparazzi reporting of TayTay and Kelce. The Sox are already in a commanding contractual position with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority and the City and they will stay right here.

All of the consternation I read here seems to point to the necessity to add talent and try to compete rather than selling and trading off talent. I expect the Sox will spend on talent if the right deal comes along. 

And there you have it. tray showing his true colors. 

• Like 2

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/12/06/white-sox-jerry-reinsdorf-nashville-mayor-freddie-oconnell

Music City Baseball is the group attempting to bring a Major League Baseball franchise to Nashville, either through relocation or expansion. (Phillies executive Dave Dombrowski was previously a consultant with the group, White Sox ties!!!!!.) Hosting the winter meetings, with executives and decision-makers throughout the sport in town, would appear to be an ideal opportunity to explore the viability of Nashville getting a team. The four-day event also allows the city to present itself as a viable destination. 

Merkin reported that the White Sox weren’t disclosing what Reinsdorf and O’Connell discussed, but connecting dots seems rather reasonable. 

Perhaps Reinsdorf wanted to see what Nashville had to offer, and the mayor may have made an initial pitch. Crain’s Chicago Business also reported in August that Reinsdorf, 87, might be considering selling his ownership stake in the team. How much could he cash in from a move.

Edited by caulfield12

“I've been reading about I've been threatening to move to Nashville,” Reinsdorf said, according to Scott Merkin, who covers the team for mlb.com. “That article didn't come from me. But if we have six years left, we've got to decide what's the future going to be? We'll get to it, but I never threatened to move out."

Representatives from Music City Baseball, including Dave Stewart and Hall of Fame manager Tony LaRussa, were on hand at the Winter Meetings.

The group's vision, according to its website is "to secure Major League Baseball approval of an expansion franchise in Nashville, although relocation and rebranding of an existing franchise would also be considered.

“I'm optimistic that 2024 is going to be the year that (MLB) expansion is going to be discussed and moved forward,” said John Loar, managing director of Music City Baseball. " ... I think 2024 is a big year for that conversation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/this-is-why-nashville-mayor-freddie-oconnell-met-with-white-sox-owner-jerry-reinsdorf/ar-AA1l6J98

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/12/04/mlb-winter-meetings-nashville-stars-dave-stewart/71795830007/

Edited by caulfield12