Josimar Cousin added to 40man, Luis Patiño DFA

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Don't really understand why this happened unless it was part of the "agreement" to get him to sign in the first place. 

I'm guessing Rick Hahn stopped by the offices to say hi at an appropriate interval after being let go, to tell Getz about this one clause in this one contract he forgot to put in the system calendar. 

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Don't really understand why this happened unless it was part of the "agreement" to get him to sign in the first place. 

There must be a requirement of him being added to the 40 man roster by a certain date or else this makes no sense.  Unfortunately with Fegan no longer part of the Athletic we may never know why.

• Thanks 1

Maybe there’s a reason Tampa Bay traded him for cash despite his once upon a time top prospect ranking. Maybe in addition to having a negative career WAR and 5 ERA and even higher FIP, he has no drive to get better. I probably would’ve kept him based on his high strikeout rate, but there’s probably more to the picture. Does he clear waivers? 

14 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I mean, he's got a big name, but that doesn't mean he's actually any good at this point.

Pitch Repertoire At-A-Glance In 2023, they have relied primarily on their Fourseam Fastball (95mph) and Slider (86mph), also mixing in a Sinker (94mph) and Change (85mph). He also rarely throws a Curve (79mph).

Seems to me that giving him a shot over the likes of Jessie Scholtens, well, you know EXACTLY what you have with Scholtens at his very best.

Obviously Katz and Bannister have reviewed his performance/s the last 2-3 seasons as his prospect status deteriorated to "suspect," but he was one of those placeholders at the very least who were going to protect the likes of Mena/Nastrini/Eder/Bush, etc., from getting exposed too early in 2024.

Honestly not even following what's going on with Deivi Garcia, Jose Urena...who knows, maybe Tanner Banks or Crochet will get starts the way things are trending...but it is a bit strange how quickly they gave up on both Brent Honeywell (he was very effective the first half of 2023 as a reliever until wearing down) and Patino, to name just two.  Four or five years ago, those were huge names.

53 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Soo much hand ringing over Luis Patino 

The dude absolutely sucks. If Tampa Bay gives up on you there is a reason.

Let it go fellas and hope Cousin is decent 

If Colas was setback by that long layoff between Japan and the US arrival...Cousin won't be any closer to ready.

$2 million?

To the same outfit that invested $15+ million needlessly into Leury Garcia?

42 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The Rays originally gave up on Patino.

I am not saying he's the answer to anything. But he was a curious choice to DFA (I mean, Sammy Peralta is on the 40 man - that man was batting practice).  Patino just seemed like a great guy to give an extended try out to in the pen in 2024. 

• Like 2

One nothing burger trades spots on the 40 for another nothing burger. See deck chairs on Titanic.

Patino might actually be better. Cousin is a complete unknown. Hasn't pitched at all in the states and is older than Patino . Looks like he's pretty bad at throwing strikes also. But hey maybe in the 2+ years he hasn't pitched he became good enough to see what he can do in AAA.🤣

Maybe it just came down to options. Did Patino have any left ?