1/9/24 Update: Wander Franco to face lesser charges

South Side Hit Men

9 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s possible, but if she tells you she’s 19, and looks 21, but is 14, if you’re an adult and do certain things, you are in a lot of trouble. Supposedly Franco has had “relationships” with at least 3 underaged girls. It appears this wasn’t an innocent mistake by him. BTW, I wonder what his wife thinks.

Dominican Republic laws are stricter in this area, with 18 the age of consent with no “Romeo & Juliet” exemption.

https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/dominican-republic

Wander would have been exempt under Florida law if the reported victims were 16 or 17, but not for at least one of the victims who was 14.

Glad societal acceptance of this has started to wane starting in 1950s - 1970s, though 40 of 50 states still allow minors to get married.

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

It doesn’t make you smile that some sick fucks life is collapsing? Makes me smile and makes me realize my gripes are petty.

No. At the very least it seems to ignore that there are legitimate victims in this case, and what happened to them as an end result is a story that we won’t hear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/26/2023 at 11:43 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

We're talking child molestation here, not a fatal car accident. Franco is certainly never going to play again in the MLB.

Perhaps a $ettlement will end the prosecution. 

https://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/slideshow/2526477/celebrities-accused-of-sexual-assault/25/

How many went to prison? Had their careers end?

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

It doesn’t make you smile that some sick fucks life is collapsing? Makes me smile and makes me realize my gripes are petty.

I think many people are capable of two or more simultaneous emotions. It's good that the victims didn't seem to be trafficked. It's sad that children were in relationships they shouldn't have been, hopefully they will recover and get past this. I'm smiling that this guy was caught, this wasn't swept under the rug, and punishment may deter other adults from abusing children. 

I'm certain that @Balta1701is also happy that Franco is being punished. I'm also certain that most everyone here overall is saddened by the events. But when you get to the part where Franco is caught living in a hole in the ground, arrested, and sent to prison, at least @hi8isand I will smile. Probably a few others here as well. What's the alternative? Sad he got caught, lost his job, etc?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No. At the very least it seems to ignore that there are legitimate victims in this case, and what happened to them as an end result is a story that we won’t hear.

I most certainly am missing your point. 

There are victims so hoping we catch and punish the criminal responsible seems like a normal response. Not only doesn't it ignore the victims it recognizes they are victims and someone should be held responsible. I'm happy that the victims will see this guy published and I hope it helps then heal. That seems better than being a victim and watching him take bows at an All-Star game. 

Giving the victims privacy to heal seems like a decent, humane, thing to do.

Again, I'm guessing there is something I'm missing in your posts. I know you've always favored swift and strong punishments in cases like this. I'm sorry for missing your point. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I most certainly am missing your point. 

There are victims so hoping we catch and punish the criminal responsible seems like a normal response. Not only doesn't it ignore the victims it recognizes they are victims and someone should be held responsible. I'm happy that the victims will see this guy published and I hope it helps then heal. That seems better than being a victim and watching him take bows at an All-Star game. 

Giving the victims privacy to heal seems like a decent, humane, thing to do.

Again, I'm guessing there is something I'm missing in your posts. I know you've always favored swift and strong punishments in cases like this. I'm sorry for missing your point. 

You apparently can’t be happy that he might be punished. Weird hill to fall on for sure.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s actually possible to enjoy watching this sick f*** go down… to have it act as a stark reminder that your life isn’t that bad… and have compassion for the victims.

Go peddle your judgements somewhere else, I need them like I need a hole in my head.

• Thanks 1

He will grease the right palms in the Dominican. From what I have read young teenage girls are often used as dowry, or if not often is at least still in off putting practice in the Dominican. So not in any way excusing his actions but he will probably not face jail time imo.

As for MLB or US punishment? Who knows.

13 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I feel like you have told this story about your niece multiple times and it’s weird every time 

I beleive the 2nd time, I certainly didnt mean to offend anyone, yes its weird alright and the ending was even weirder but all ended up ok. Its the last time if will be brought up, that being said, if Wander is guilty of these allegations may he be castrated and hung from the highest branch

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He apparently did not appear for questioning and dismissed his legal team.

The latest details:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39198087/rays-wander-franco-no-shows-agency-summons-dr

• "There are a few options in the investigative process, but now is not an opportune time to speak about that," the DR spokesman stated at a press conference.
  • Two people have filed legal action against Franco, plus he is under investigation for a relationship with a third minor who has not filed a formal complainant.
  • No criminal charges have been filed as of now against Franco.

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to 1/1/24 Update: Wander Franco arrested, will face Dominican Republic judge within 48 hours.
On 12/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, The Grinder said:

Quit some time ago my niece was 14 IIRC and looked like she was 18 or 19 and she had every male teenager in the neighborhood after her, about drove her parents nuts. Did this girl possibly misrepresent her age?

This happens all the time and now they want to be influencers.  

• TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

From what I understand about DR, I am surprised this is going as far as it is going. Not talking about corruption. Although there’s that. But if there’s a place where underage shenanigans is winked at and proliferating, DR would be one of those places. Franco may have messed with the wrong family of stature outside of the normal scumbaggery?

Edited by Chick Mercedes

22 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

From what I understand about DR, I am surprised this is going as far as it is going. Not talking about corruption. Although there’s that. But if there’s a place where underage shenanigans is winked at and proliferating, DR would be one of those places. Franco may have messed with the wrong family of stature outside of the normal scumbaggery?

I would assume that the country has a legitimate criminal justice system and that things fall through the cracks, in a similar vein to American states like Mississippi, Oklahoma, New Mexico etc (places without a statutory minimum age of consent) where state law and federal law are at odds. But I also assume that they would prosecute pedophiles like any other country would. DR is not exactly a shithole and the rich and famous get off of reasonable, actionable charges everywhere in the world so I wouldn't assume any more or less about the DR...but I bet Wander Franco's case is not something they'd want to f*** up because the whole world is watching. I assume justice will be done, or at least attempted at. Good luck to their prosecutors. Or, who cares about good luck, just hopefully that justice gets done. 

Edited by nrockway

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to 1/9/24 Update: Wander Franco to face lesser charges