Sox sign P Chris Flexen, DFA Carlos Perez

baseball_gal_aly

I personally would have signed one or the other catcher (Stassi or Maldonado) I’m also not going to fret about it. None of this will matter beyond 2024-2025, and none of the guys DFA’d or sent to AAA (Lee) are amounting to anything.

I’m with @nrockwayand @CaliSoxFanViaSWside on this. I accepted the likely budget in November.

People here demanded a vast roster overhaul and they are getting it. This is what it looks like when Hahn leaves you with dick at the major or minor league levels, and you are stuck with albatross deals like Benintendi.

• Like 3

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

I personally would have signed one or the other catcher (Stassi or Maldonado) I’m also not going to fret about it. None of this will matter beyond 2024-2025, and none of the guys DFA’d or sent to AAA (Lee) are amounting to anything.

I’m with @nrockwayand @CaliSoxFanViaSWside on this. I accepted the likely budget in November.

People here demanded a vast roster overhaul and they are getting it. This is what it looks like when Hahn leaves you with dick at the major or minor league levels, and you are stuck with albatross deals like Benintendi.

Pretty tough to call any deal at $15M AAV an “albatross” in today’s game. 

57 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Days before the Rule 5 draft, multiple people were screaming that the White Sox could launch up to a dozen guys off this roster, and fill it up with fodder from other teams, and nobody argued with them for 4 pages. How is anybody getting angry at DFAing guys we would have gladly launched for hiding their counterparts from another organization on the 40-man for a season?

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet Perez was not one of those guys, I think most people would have said keep guys like Perez theyre more likely to be useful than a Martin Maldonado.

For this guy I’d probably have dropped Lambert. 

That part. Perez might totally suck, but he's young and has more promise than a washed up Maldonado.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty tough to call any deal at $15M AAV an “albatross” in today’s game. 

For five years it is.
On a Reinsdorf team it is.

He can’t play anything beyond LF, and he failed miserably at that last season. At least with another albatross like Jason Heyward, he could cover CF and RF.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

This is what's bothering me about it too. What exactly are we doing here?

If you count the three days Flexen spent in the Mets org before they dumped him last summer, he's on his 4th team in 2023 alone. Like, amassing all of the old and bad is accomplishing what exactly?

To a certain extent I think the organization thinks the fan base as a whole is naive. They think making a flurry of moves will show said fan base they are "trying" to win. Also remember JR's press conference comments. he doesn't like to be embarrassed he's said they want to get better quickly.

This is basically all a show-and tell exercise for the fan base, nothing more and I suspect the fan base won't be buying it.

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet Perez was not one of those guys, I think most people would have said keep guys like Perez theyre more likely to be useful than a Martin Maldonado.

For this guy I’d probably have dropped Lambert. 

I keep thinking Jimmy Lambert's a key bullpen piece. I guess he's more on the Jake Petricka path. One slightly better than average season, and then years of suck. 

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That part. Perez might totally suck, but he's young and has more promise than a washed up Maldonado.

I think they saw Perez as a guy who just throws the ball back to the pitcher. Perez isn't going to "work" with pitchers like they envision Maldonado doing. Any spare innings when both Maldonado and Stassi are down can go to Lee and Hackenberg. I think Hackenberg's the dude until Quero breaks through. 

Now watch the Padres grab him and turn him into an All-Star. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Getz is building a halfway decent AAA team.

Footballers come to the states to play when they can no longer hack it in a European league. What's the baseball equivalent for washed up ballplayers? Because that's what Getz is building in 2024.

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I keep thinking Jimmy Lambert's a key bullpen piece. I guess he's more on the Jake Petricka path. One slightly better than average season, and then years of suck. 

This guy definitely fits the Swingman role as he’s been in it. If they think they need a Swingman fine, but they have one in Lambert. If they think they needed a bullpen lefty like the other guy they signed, fine sign him but they have Banks, why hold these guys when you are signing the same players? At the potential expense of the tiny bits of young talent you actually do have? 

It probably won’t matter this time, but eventually it does matter. Most of the time the guy you DFA isn’t very goo, but you do this enough and you’ll come out a loser on a player.

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Let Banny cook.

But to BOUNCE back, one needs to have bounced once first.

I think people are being too disappointed about the Sox moves, or lack therof. They have told us a long time ago to stop believin'

But seriously, they have told us without telling us to stop being disappointed. '24 is a writeoff, there is no quick turnaround in the plan despite the original  propaganda. Accept it. Enjoy it and relax.

• Like 2