Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, tray said:

I dislike the 78 site. It's a dump. All the railroad tracks converging there and the quality of the river at that point. It's awful.

I think a key part of the plans for building a zillion dollar stadium would involve removing the railroad tracks

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I think a key part of the plans for building a zillion dollar stadium would involve removing the railroad tracks

Hell no.

Keep the tracks. Make them an outfield feature. Ball gets stuck under a rail tie? Ground rule double. Outfielder trips and falls on the rail? Should have known it was there. Deal with it. It's retro and cute, so all should be forgiven.

Pump the river water in a jet into the crowd for home runs like the Kauffman fountains, but better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

This is all pure fantasy and a pipe dream.   JR just trying to use leverage.  Who is going to pay for a stadium less than a half of mile away from the current stadium (or whatever the official distance is)? It is not going to be JR and it will not be the taxpayers.   

It's four miles, and Texas just literally built one right across the street from the old one, who had also built one just down the road from the original one.  It happens.  Personally I would expect them to use the same ballpark authority structure which already exists in Chicago, but the city to get a much better deal than they did last time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

JR and the Mayor's joint statement

“We met to discuss the historic partnership between the team and Chicago and the team’s ideas for remaining competitive in Chicago in perpetuity.”

What's this remaining competitive crap?

Economically. 😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

The cubs organization and in particular the Ricketts family will be working behind the scenes to make sure this does not happen.

Remember how Rahm made Ricketts' life difficult when he was trying to buy up and redevelop Wrigleyville? I don't think Ricketts will have enough sway to do what you are saying. Their family is not well liked by Chicago or the politicians here. 

Edited by ron883

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Remember how Rahm made Ricketts' life difficult when he was trying to buy up and redevelop Wrigleyville? I don't think Ricketts will have enough sway to do what you are saying. Their family is not well liked by Chicago or the politicians here. 

Yeah, but the  Ricketts will give it all they got to beat this back. 

• Haha 1

Its really the perfect spot for it.  Suburban fans can come in on the metra and take a water taxi on a nice summer day.  Its super easy for people working in the loop to go to the game after work.  You have the Roosevelt CTA station nearby and they will put in a new red line stop around Clark and 15th/16th.  I assume they'll figure a way to make car traffic work.  When all is said and done, the riverwalk will extend all the way down to Chinatown.   Let's say a tourist is in town for a convention... it would be a real easy thing for them to head over to the ballpark.    

Plus, my balcony overlooks the site. 

• Like 1

"White Sox are engaged in “serious” talks to build a new ballpark in the South Loop on the site known as “The 78.”"

Seems to be some confusion as to whether this is  site "78" or 2078. How the hell old will JR be if it is 2078.............................................

47 minutes ago, wegner said:

If this happens, give fans a view of the skyline from the ballpark this time dumbasses.

The skyline from GRF is off in the distance and can’t really be seen. Enough of this crap over a big nothing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

"White Sox are engaged in “serious” talks to build a new ballpark in the South Loop on the site known as “The 78.”"

Seems to be some confusion as to whether this is  site "78" or 2078. How the hell old will JR be if it is 2078.............................................

This site would create a whole new neighborhood. Chicago currently has 77 neighborhoods. This would become the 78th. That why it was give the moniker 78x

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

With this bunch, it’s easier to build a stadium.

Probably right!  Or it makes it easier to sell a team…”sell the rumor, buy the news.”  Time will tell I’m sure.

5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

1) In 1967 former White Sox owner Art Allyn wanted to build a new stadium at this South Loop location. Allyn was going to pay for the stadium himself. The Mayor of Chicago wouldn't give him the permits to build it. 2) This same site was offered by the City of Chicago in the 1980s to JR. JR declined the offer because he wanted to build a new stadium in Addison where he owned the land. 3) I'm assuming that this is were the new stadium will be built. I hope the details get worked out sooner rather than later. I think its great news.

This is the plan the city presented for the site in 1985. But the city said the financing would only work is if it was a multi-purpose stadium for the Sox and Bears. The Sox tentatively agreed to it, even though they preferred a baseball-only stadium. But the Bears didn't like the financial arrangements, so the plan fell apart.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-06-16-8602120949-story.html

1985 Chicago dome.jpg

Edited by kba
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's four miles, and Texas just literally built one right across the street from the old one, who had also built one just down the road from the original one.  It happens.  Personally I would expect them to use the same ballpark authority structure which already exists in Chicago, but the city to get a much better deal than they did last time.

12th street to 35th street is 23 blocks, there are 8 blocks to a mile in Chicago so it’s not quite 3 miles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The Amtrak tracks are across the river and not a part of the vacant land under consideration. There is an active Metra line along Clark St, but those could be sunk below grade, or covered in a tunnel.