Moncada speaks...

Lip Man 1

He played well to close the season, and I'm hoping he has a great 2024, and possibly yields a solid prospect or two at the deadline if he has a good first half.

From Lip's ST article:

He finished well, batting .281/.324/.464 with eight homers and a .788 OPS from July 25 on after coming back from the lower-back problem, stemming from a disk that impinged on a nerve. He played in 52 of the Sox’ last 63 games.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He played well to close the season, and I'm hoping he has a great 2024, and possibly yields a solid prospect or two at the deadline if he has a good first half.

From Lip's ST article:

He would have to be amazing in the first half and his massive salary is still going to limit any trade return for him.  A .788 OPS in the first half isn’t going to cut it and if he’s mediocre, no one is touching him.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He would have to be amazing in the first half and his massive salary is still going to limit any trade return for him.  A .788 OPS in the first half isn’t going to cut it and if he’s mediocre, no one is touching him.

I guess somebody running the equivalent of Andrew Vaughn at 3B *might* think of upgrading, but other than that fantasy, I concur. 

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He would have to be amazing in the first half and his massive salary is still going to limit any trade return for him.  If he’s mediocre, no one is touching him.

There are several teams trying to win a championship in 2024 that might be willing to take on whatever the Sox don't (weighing cash vs. prospects) at the deadline (about $8M + $5M BO) depending on 3B health / hitting needs at the deadline. Threw the Mets in there for Cohen wild card.

Would say the Yankees or a non Chapman signing Blue Jays may be the two most likely interested based on their incumbents. Dodgers because they don't give a s%*# about the "Luxury" tax.

• Atlanta - Austin Riley (27)
  • Houston - Alex Bregman (30)
  • Los Angeles N. L. - Max Muncy (33)
  • New York N. L. - Brett Baty (24)
  • New York A. L. - DJ LeMahieu (35)
  • Philadelphia - Alec Bohm (27)
  • Texas - Josh Jung (26)
  • Toronto - FA Matt Chapman (31) or Cavan Biggio (29)

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There are several teams trying to win a championship in 2024 that might be willing to take on whatever the Sox don't (weighing cash vs. prospects) at the deadline (about $8M + $5M BO) depending on 3B health / hitting needs at the deadline. Threw the Mets in there for Cohen wild card.

Would say the Yankees or a non Chapman signing Blue Jays may be the two most likely interested based on their incumbents. Dodgers because they don't give a s%*# about the "Luxury" tax.

• Atlanta - Austin Riley (27)
  • Houston - Alex Bregman (30)
  • Los Angeles N. L. - Max Muncy (33)
  • New York N. L. - Brett Baty (24)
  • New York A. L. - DJ LeMahieu (35)
  • Philadelphia - Alec Bohm (27)
  • Texas - Josh Jung (26)
  • Toronto - FA Matt Chapman (31) or Cavan Biggio (29)

The chances he even stays healthy enough to survive until the trade deadline with a high enough number of quality at bats to make him a desireable trade target for a contender are next to zero.

My guess is that no team is interested in him at the trade deadline or if the Sox put him on waivers.  The Sox end up paying out his full $24 million salary and his $5 million buyout.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Yoan Moncada’s face is most often pleasant, one that won’t always endear him to frustrated fans who’d rather see him angrily slam a helmet or unload on an umpire after getting rung up on a borderline call.

nobody cares about that, we just want him to actually play and sometimes hit the ball. I'm convinced "journalists" have to agree to a certain amount of dick-sucking in order to get an interview and appease their bosses. I'd rather just forego the interview and maintain some amount of integrity, personally...or maybe the Sun Times is employed by YoYo's agency, who could say.

also, shut up about "motivation." I guess 70 million dollars wasn't enough motivation but the next $720k apparently is.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

Let’s hope Moncada stays healthy, looking at our batting order the potential is there with our first 5 guys with Benintendi, Moncada, Robert, Vaughn and Eloy, they all need to stay healthy which they haven’t,  if they do then they can do some damage. When we get to the bottom 4, then there is a problem with the bats and of course we still don’t  know who the rightfielder is. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

I think Moncada has a ton of talent, and we've seen flashes of what kind of player he can be.  Unfortunately he gets hurt too easily and too often.  Maybe that's due, in part, to a lack of preparation.  He rarely shows emotion on the field and comes off as uncaring about his lack of results.  But, it seems like he plays through pain a lot.

He finished strong last season, albeit in meaningless games.  Let's hope we see more of that Moncada this season.

• Hawk 1

The only way this team avoids 100 losses is if Moncada and Eloy bounce back and Vaughn takes a step forward. Kinda betting on an inside straight, but so be it. So, I'm happy Moncada feels good. Remember, he was healthy and looked good in the stupid WBC before hurting his back on a long plane ride?

I'll believe it when I see it, but I welcome even the slimmest sliver of hope for the 2024 Sox cuz this thing could get ugly in a hurry.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The only way this team avoids 100 losses is if Moncada and Eloy bounce back and Vaughn takes a step forward. Kinda betting on an inside straight, but so be it. So, I'm happy Moncada feels good. Remember, he was healthy and looked good in the stupid WBC before hurting his back on a long plane ride?

I'll believe it when I see it, but I welcome even the slimmest sliver of hope for the 2024 Sox cuz this thing could get ugly in a hurry.

Anyone who can get injured in this way cannot be counted on.  And back issues will quickly end a guy’s career (see Joe Crede).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I expect both Jiminez and Vaughn to improve.  Moncada, not so much.

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Counter-point:
If the abovementioned three bounce back and/or take a step forward, they get traded for prospects, replaced by even lesser players, and the Sox end up losing 100 games anyways.

Edited by JoeC
"they get traded" ==> "they get traded for prospects"
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I expect both Jiminez and Vaughn to improve.  Moncada, not so much.

I actually expect Moncada to be healthier (not always healthy, but healthier) and for Vaughn to improve some.  I foresee Jimenez coming out strong but blowing a hammy or tearing a tit or smoking his melon off a fall if he gets time in the outfield.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

We will keep Cease.  Everyone will stay healthy, play above their potential and we will win 75 games....we also won't trade anyone because we will be within 6 games of first.

I am not pleased to think this way.

Oh and F Moncada and Big Baby.  I want to hear nothing from either.

These stupid articles are as insufferable as ever.

Both must be at the stupid season ticket fan thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

.281/.324/.464 /.788 with his usually good fielding is a pretty good line probably  worth about 4 fWar over a full season (approx 145 games). Now if he can  play often enough to duplicate his 2021 season of .263/.375/.412/.787  keep the same slugging he finished with in 2023 while upping his OBP back to the .350 range , then you're talking about an .800+ OPS and a 5 fWar guy. Depending on other teams 3rd base situation if Moncada is 2+ fWAR as they approach the deadline there could be some interested buyers.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

.281/.324/.464 /.788 with his usually good fielding is a pretty good line probably  worth about 4 fWar over a full season (approx 145 games). Now if he can  play often enough to duplicate his 2021 season of .263/.375/.412/.787  keep the same slugging he finished with in 2023 while upping his OBP back to the .350 range , then you're talking about an .800+ OPS and a 5 fWar guy. Depending on other teams 3rd base situation if Moncada is 2+ fWAR as they approach the deadline there could be some interested buyers.

And he’s done it, what, twice in his career?  He won’t stay healthy.  We all know it.  This is fool’s gold.

What an epic bust this cat was. Too bad Rick Hahn only cared about prospect rankings when the rebuild trades of 2016-2018 were made. There were red flags about Moncada from the jump. The dude was eating a box of twinkies a day and struck out like 80% of the time during his initial cup of coffee with Boston. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And he’s done it, what, twice in his career?  He won’t stay healthy.  We all know it.  This is fool’s gold.

You can continue to think it's fools gold but at least we have a recent end of season sample  besides the from July 25th stats that were already given.

The last 28 days of the season he played 19 games with 77 plate appearances. .292/.338/.597/.935 152 OPS+ .

Of course it always is about his health but we do have 2019, 2021 and the recent samples from last year to at least know he can be very productive IF he can stay healthy.

So I'll say silver lining rather than fools gold.

• Hawk 1