Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher

Heads22

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Can't be. Harold likes him.

I just thought since he was short and David Fletcher's brother that he'd have no pop, but he actually does have ok power.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yeah, looks like possibly 10-15 HR power.

He's also a BABIP merchant. Crazy high BABIP at every stop, including his time in the majors last year.

We're definitely getting a Fletcher/Pillar platoon next year.

Edited by chw42

17 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So him or Deloach as starter in RF? Man it sucks Benintendi is on the roster haha

Probably Fletcher. Doloach sounds like an average defender at best, though probably has more pop. I would guess a Fletcher / Pillar platoon to start. 

18 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is the only explanation. It has to be. I don't quite understand trading someone so young unless they clearly see something that is not fixable or won't play in the upper levels.

Chris Getz's mantra has been: Get old, strike gold

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep.  Pretty obvious now.  The reports that the Sox didn’t like his work ethic/attitude must be true.

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah this is guy is done here.

26 minutes ago, Snopek said:

The Colas have gone flat.

Sox don’t have to make any real decisions on Colas for two years. His value is zapped, absolutely zero reason to move on from him now. Park him in AAA and make him change minds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox don’t have to make any real decisions on Colas for two years. His value is zapped, absolutely zero reason to move on from him now. Park him in AAA and make him change minds. 

I think he’ll be parked in AAA until he goes to Japan or some s%*#.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would be nice to see him rake in AAA.  He could always replace Eloy at DH and be a part-time outfielder.  Then, his defense wouldn’t be as much of a concern.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

He’s 5’6” with average speed. That doesn’t sound like a good combination for an outfielder. 

Adam Eaton wasn’t bad for a little guy.

https://venomstrikes.com/posts/diamondbacks-trade-dominic-fletcher-to-white-sox-for-cristian-mena-01hnrg4qp321

Fletcher was one of the Diamondbacks’ multiple top outfield prospects. He made his debut last year, only coming to the plate 102 times, but batted well in the small sample size. Fletcher had a .301/.350/.441 triple-slash, 21.6% K-rate, 6.9% walk rate, and 113 wRC+.

He showed off strong defensive prowess, collecting +4 defensive runs saved and +2 outs above average in less than 300 innings in the outfield. He saw time at all three outfield positions, but he frequented center field most often.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I have liked most of what Getz has done since taking over considering his budget and inherited roster.

Maldonado and this move would be the exceptions. Not saying they should not have traded Mena, but don’t see the point in acquiring Benintendi’s tiny baby brother who will be 27 this season for Mena.

Fletcher is the type of player they should be picking up on waivers or signing to a Minor League FA deal, not dumping a decent prospect to acquire.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Watching his highlights, he actually reminds me a lot of Eaton. 

Sure does.  Similar swing.  Looks like he has some sneaky power and will pull a lot of liners down the first base line for doubles and triples like Eaton did.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I have liked most of what Getz has done since taking over considering his budget and inherited roster.

Maldonado and this move would be the exceptions. Not saying they should not have traded Mena, but don’t see the point in acquiring Benintendi’s tiny baby brother who will be 27 this season for Mena.

Fletcher is the type of player they should be picking up on waivers or signing to a Minor League FA deal, not dumping a decent prospect to acquire.

Hah, I feel the opposite.  These two trades today have given me a little more faith in Getz as a GM.  Dude needs to stay away from the free agent dumpster diving and make more trades.  I guess I don’t see much in Mena.  Doubt he ever makes the majors.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic