ST Thread

pcq

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

The names you mentioned are all unknowns. Is this the Sox future? All cheap guys nobody's ever heard of? Ah for the days of Konerko, Thomas, Ventura, Ozzie, Dye, actual players. Who in the heck is going to watch this on TV or stream much less go in person? If it's true the Cubs are going to win the division that must mean they are at least trying a bit. Greg needs to read up on the Cubs a bit as they are at least from the city of Chicago like the Sox.

That's why the Sox cut payroll drastically. They know they are going to lose 95-100 games and be an after thought. 

Regarding attendance, again it matters but with the TV / radio money both locally and from national contracts, attendance doesn't mean as much like it did in the 60's and 70's. That money is already in the bank drawing interest. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d personally wait until mid/late April with Nastrini & Thorpe even if they were ready.

I’d wait until Pedro is gone early to mid season before calling up any prospects who have no MLB service time.

Don’t want Pedro adversely impacting any rookies with his douchebaggery. Want them to experience as normal/good an MLB experience as is possible with the White Sox.

Rather they muddle through with what Getz acquired and pull waived guys or sign Boyd, Cueto, Greinke, Hill, Lorenzen, Syndergaard. Don’t give a s%*# about performance, just guys who can eat innings and possibly flip.

• Thanks 1

So there's maybe one spot up for grabs after the guys we can be certain (Brebbia, Hill, Kopech, Wilson) and reasonably confident (Banks, Garcia, Leasure) are making the cut?

Maybe not even that depending on where Crochet slots in, unless they run with 4 SP for the first week.

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
forgot the new guy

"He went out to the field, bouncing around like he always does, and [when first baseman Andrew] Vaughn called his name to do something, he turned around and his spike got caught," manager Pedro Grifol said. "He knew he had sprained it pretty good. I saw him walking around today and they didn’t even think he was going to be able to do that, so. He’s a quick healer. It’s amazing how that works, you want to make a team, you heal quickly."

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"He went out to the field, bouncing around like he always does, and [when first baseman Andrew] Vaughn called his name to do something, he turned around and his spike got caught," manager Pedro Grifol said. "He knew he had sprained it pretty good. I saw him walking around today and they didn’t even think he was going to be able to do that, so. He’s a quick healer. It’s amazing how that works, you want to make a team, you heal quickly."

I mean can you give some kind of context to the quote? 

He, he, he. 

Edited by BigHurt3515

White Sox: LHP Garrett Crochet
Crochet expressed an offseason desire to take on the starting pitching challenge, the White Sox agreed and the southpaw has been a man on a mission during this month in Arizona. His talent already was known from parts of three seasons in the bullpen, but Crochet has attacked the strike zone during this starting opportunity, with his fastball touching 100 mph. He has struck out 12 without a walk and allowed seven hits over nine scoreless innings. Crochet could end up anywhere from the White Sox starter on Opening Day to working as a multi-inning hurler out of the bullpen when the team breaks camp. -- Scott Merkin

Seems like Garrett has definitely made the team and killed off all chances of clawing back another year of control...just have to wait and see how long it all lasts.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

White Sox: LHP Garrett Crochet
Crochet expressed an offseason desire to take on the starting pitching challenge, the White Sox agreed and the southpaw has been a man on a mission during this month in Arizona. His talent already was known from parts of three seasons in the bullpen, but Crochet has attacked the strike zone during this starting opportunity, with his fastball touching 100 mph. He has struck out 12 without a walk and allowed seven hits over nine scoreless innings. Crochet could end up anywhere from the White Sox starter on Opening Day to working as a multi-inning hurler out of the bullpen when the team breaks camp. -- Scott Merkin

Seems like Garrett has definitely made the team and killed off all chances of clawing back another year of control...just have to wait and see how long it all lasts.

That's the big issue, given how few innings he has pitched over the last 2 seasons it would be crazy to expect him to be a regular starter this season. It would be better long term to have him starting in AAA but we all know that won't happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WestEddy said:

There's a day off after the opener. 

Only one day off the first 2 weeks (and it's that game). A 4-man rotation would put the Second/Third/Fourth/ starter on 3 days rest their second starts. Saying they don't need a 5th starter makes zero sense.

No 5th starter to open the year = at least one bullpen game.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Only one day off the first 2 weeks (and it's that game). A 4-man rotation would put the Second/Third/Fourth/ starter on 3 days rest their second starts. Saying they don't need a 5th starter makes zero sense.

I'm not arguing they should go with a 4-man. They could skip the 5-spot the first time through the rotation, that's all. Gives them an extra week to make that decision.

46 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Do they even have a 5th starter? The bullpen is going to be pitching a ton of innings early either way. If the actual starters average 5 IP I'd call that a small miracle.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Do they even have a 5th starter? The bullpen is going to be pitching a ton of innings early either way. If the actual starters average 5 IP I'd call that a small miracle.

They know they don't have five starters which is why they are out there sniffing around guys like Lorenzen and Clevinger.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They know they don't have five starters which is why they are out there sniffing around guys like Lorenzen and Clevinger.

Right. Lets hope its Lorenzen so we never have to mention the other shithead ever again...

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not arguing they should go with a 4-man. They could skip the 5-spot the first time through the rotation, that's all. Gives them an extra week to make that decision.

They don't need to commit to a 5th starter, but they would then need a bullpen game one of those first games.

Example: Your second starter would pitch March 30th and then again April 3rd. That is 3 days rest.

Normally, teams have 2-3 days off the first 2 weeks which makes it easy to skip a 5th starter. We don't have that luxury this year playing 12 games in a row after the first day off.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They don't need to commit to a 5th starter, but they would then need a bullpen game one of those first games.

Example: Your second starter would pitch March 30th and then again April 3rd. That is 3 days rest.

Normally, teams have 2-3 days off the first 2 weeks which makes it easy to skip a 5th starter. We don't have that luxury this year playing 12 games in a row after the first day off.

There is usually a weather cancelation in that first 10 days, so it's possible that won't matter in the short term, but yes they should pick out a 5th starter whether it's signing someone or Kuhl or a plan involving Crochet or whatever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is usually a weather cancelation in that first 10 days, so it's possible that won't matter in the short term, but yes they should pick out a 5th starter whether it's signing someone or Kuhl or a plan involving Crochet or whatever.

Yeah, that's true too but I'm just saying teams usually can plan on it when there are days off. Not saying they have to anoint a 5th starter (as it seems you are alluding that I am), just saying that without a PPD, your first starter can't really go games 1 and 5. A postponement would make it possible to skip. But if you can't plan on it the first time through the rotation, you would need a bullpen game.

22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They could always do something like:

th 3/28 det - #1
fr 3/29 off
sa 3/30 det - #2
su 3/31 det - #3 
mo 4/01 atl - #4
tu 4/02 atl - #1 (4)
we 4/03 atl - #5 
th 4/04 kcr - #2 (4)
fr 4/05 kcr - #3 (4)
sa 4/06 kcr - #4 (4)
su 4/07 kcr - #5 (4)

The #5 slot could be Crochet/bullpen game, where they ease his workload from 3 innings up to 5. 

I understand you're not saying they must commit to a 5th starter. My mind just does sh*t like this, for some reason. 

55 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Interested to see velo readings on Thorpe today. 

I still think it's insane for there to be talk of him reaching Chicago this year when he's barely had a cup of coffee in AA. If he's the prize in the Cease trade, FFS don't rush him to the bigs chasing a few extra wins in a lost season.

• Thanks 2