ST Thread

pcq

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Giving them time to move all their stuff and get settled wherever they're headed.

Group photo: Moustakas, Chavez, Maldonado and Shaw.

spain-four-old-spanish-men-on-a-bench-es

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He’ll need to improve his TWTW, as the Sox have a .022 higher winning percentage without Luis than with him.

Luis Robert Junior TWTW Score (2020-2023) -13:

• +5 2020 (Si 33-26 +7 vs. No 3-1 +2)
  • -8 2021 (Si 38-30 +8 vs. No 55-39 +16)
  • +8 2022 (Si 51-47 +4 vs. No 30-34 -4)
  • -18 2023 (Si 58-87 -29 vs. No 3-14 -11)

White Sox with Luis Robert Junior: 180-190 .486

White Sox without Luis Robert Junior: 91-88 .508

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Everyone realizes that Grossman is not a good defensive outfielder, right?  Pillar had that at least.

Grossman isn’t a butcher out there and can has a batting average over .189 so I’m good with it. Either way you are just shuffling chairs on the titanic 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Grossman isn’t a butcher out there and can has a batting average over .189 so I’m good with it. Either way you are just shuffling chairs on the titanic 

For sure on the deck chairs, but Grossman kinda is a butcher out there.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

For sure on the deck chairs, but Grossman kinda is a butcher out there.

Grossman hasn't been in camp so I'd guess that at the very least he stays in extended ST and gives the kid a chance in the OF for a couple big league games until they actually consider whether he can take the 4th of job. 

11 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Everyone realizes that Grossman is not a good defensive outfielder, right?  Pillar had that at least.

I am guessing it’s the price tag they’re avoiding. $3M for Pillar to last a 3-6 weeks on the roster is fairly spendy for a terrible team . 

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Grossman hasn't been in camp so I'd guess that at the very least he stays in extended ST and gives the kid a chance in the OF for a couple big league games until they actually consider whether he can take the 4th of job. 

It makes sense to try to not use an option on a guy like Fletcher until you have to. Maybe you bring him north, and see if a few weeks gets him going. Honestly it's not like it is going to hurt our playoff chances if he sucks. Grossman goes and gets in shape and bides his time.

30 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Moose doesn't surprise me at all, Pillar does a bit though.

Giving me more confidence in Getz thinking bigger picture.

Eventually would like to see Colas given another shot this year if ready as starting RF and Fletcher as a fourth OF if he can produce enough to stay up on the 26 man roster.

Believe they are going with Brett Phillips based on Garfien’s tweets today (primarily the first one).

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Believe they are going with Brett Phillips based on Garfien’s tweets today (primarily the first one).

Could be, but you can find similarly complimentary language about Pillar and Moose too. Pillar also had a whole podcast interview episode.

Which is why it was always silly for folks to get so worked up assuming that a guy was getting a roster spot and 400 ABs because the manager/GM/beat said some cliché thing about their intangibles in ST...but I digress.

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Could be, but you can find similarly complimentary language about Pillar and Moose too. Pillar also had a whole podcast interview episode.

Which is why it was always silly for folks to get so worked up assuming that a guy was getting a roster spot and 400 ABs because the manager/GM/beat said some cliché thing about their intangibles in ST...but I digress.

Well, this is the first year of the new regime, so it is hard to tell what Getz would do plus Grifol's record last year of prioritizing veterans.

If they open versus Detroit with this roster give or take a guy or two, it is fine and they will have some OK, hopefully good / improving options (Colas or Sosa, maybe Popeye) before the next core group is considered late this year or early next year.

2024 Opening Day Roster

Starters (RF TBD):  

Maldonado; 1B Vaughan; 2B Lopez; 3B Moncada; SS DeJong; LF Benintendi; CF Robert Junior; DH Jimenez

Reserves C Stassi; INF Mendick; RF/OF Fletcher & Phillips; 1B/DH Sheets

Rotation: 1 Crochet; 2 Soroka; 3 Fedde; 4 Flexen; 5 Nastrini

Bullpen:  CL Kopech; SU Brebbia; Leasure & Wilson; MR Banks; Hill; Swing: Garcia; Toussaint

Last Out: RP J. Chavez; B. Shaw; 2B/SS B. Shewmake

• Like 1

I keep waiting to see like 10 bullpen guys get cut.

I will hand this to Getz, somehow without spending any money or acquiring any real talent the Sox staff might still show how improve over last year. It's almost unfathomable that it's a real possibility.

56 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I keep waiting to see like 10 bullpen guys get cut.

I will hand this to Getz, somehow without spending any money or acquiring any real talent the Sox staff might still show how improve over last year. It's almost unfathomable that it's a real possibility.

This pitching staff is ass, last years was way better. 

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure about that. Better staff now than post deadline. First 4 months had a lot of bad pitchers as well.

2024 Projections (Fan Graphs Depth Chart): 8.8 fWAR

2023 Actual: 10.0 fWAR

Is that already corrected for Cease being out?

You look at all those lost innings from Lynn Gio Scholtens Kopech Toussaint...almost a total reinvention for this year.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Is that already corrected for Cease being out?

You look at all those lost innings from Lynn Gio Scholtens Kopech Toussaint...almost a total reinvention for this year.

Yes, it has 350 innings and 4.5 of those War from Thorpe, Crochet, and Soroka. 

209D66FB-95C4-41C2-8051-C7DCC01D0DB2.gif

1 hour ago, T R U said:

This pitching staff is ass, last years was way better. 

Bullpen:  CL Kopech; SU Brebbia; Leasure & Wilson; MR Banks; Hill; Swing: Garcia; Toussaint

That's not a bad bullpen. And with Knebel, Leone, Barlow and Cousins waiting in the wings, that actually looks like a pretty shut down bullpen.