ST Thread

pcq

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he had a 71 wRC+ last year. He had a .248 OBP. He'll fit in great here, you're right. Solid vet. Great role player. 

wut. 

I am not suggesting he is a great player. I am suggesting there is no reason to be upset about literally paying $2M+ less to retain Pillar than they had to a few days ago. Chances are Pillar wont be around all that long, and if he is, he is a suitable 4th/5th OF. It’s just a big nothingburger.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well he's on the 40 man now buddy! Sorta invalidates all that! It's obvious they made bringing him in a priority.

Hey, ZIPS thinks if he plays 100 games  he'll give us .5 fWAR!

LFG! Pull it down! Getz did that! signed a 35 year old corner OF to a league min deal rather than just see what they have in the guy they traded a young pitching prospect for or Oscar 

Nice move of the goalposts. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Pillar hits rh. Njigba doesn't. Njigba passed through waivers twice, and 8 of the worst record teams passed. Fangraphs doesn't seem to like him. I'm guessing he's a AAAA profile. 

Personally, I'm wondering how anybody could feign anger over this move. If they wanted Pillar all along, I don't see how opportunity cost enters into it. 

And this signing didn't stop them from claiming him,  because he wasn'ton the roster all winter.  But why be accurate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's the look of someone that is listening to a person say 2+2 is 5. Anyways, it's sunday afternoon and I've fallen into the trap of arguing on the internet about a s%*# franchise. Not an airport but imma head out for now. 

At this point, it seems you're just referencing anything to explain why you're pretending to be angry. Pillar didn't preclude the Sox from picking up anybody else. He'll be the weak half of a platoon. Who cares?

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

At this point, it seems you're just referencing anything to explain why you're pretending to be angry. Pillar didn't preclude the Sox from picking up anybody else. He'll be the weak half of a platoon. Who cares?

Are you sure?  It sure seems like Jerry wanted to cut the payroll even more after trading Cease’s $8 million, cutting Moustakas, and cutting and then resigning Pillar for less money.

• TLR 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Are you sure?  It sure seems like Jerry wanted to cut the payroll even more after trading Cease’s $8 million, cutting Moustakas, and cutting and then resigning Pillar for less money.

Yes, I'm sure, and so are you. They started out with 70 players in camp. Unless the league gave them an exemption, they were going to have to cut a bunch of those players. Thy signed Grossman. Pillar didn't stop them from signing Grossman. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yes, I'm sure, and so are you. They started out with 70 players in camp. Unless the league gave them an exemption, they were going to have to cut a bunch of those players. Thy signed Grossman. Pillar didn't stop them from signing Grossman. 

Oh, I thought you meant signing someone that actually cost money, not more cheap detritus.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, I thought you meant signing someone that actually cost money, not more cheap detritus.

Can you point us to this lively market of game changing players available right now? 

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Was there ever an update on Thorpe’s start yesterday?  No news on those minor league games is usually not great news.

I’m just glad he is not in the Sox MLB rotation if he pitched several good innings.

Would like to see at least one or two more inning eaters signed (Cueto, Hill, Syndergaard) or claimed. Greinke as well, but likely beyond their budget or wouldn’t be interested.

Not sure if Getz has the kind of financial flexibility to sign one or two low cost starters ($3M-$5M each), which would be sad, just to get through the season without rushing anyone else.

Payroll currently 31% lower ($181.1M down to $125.9M).

OD Rotation Career MLB Starts = 180

71 2010s & 109 2020s

• 12 2017 (CF 9 EF 3)
  • 17 2018 (CF 1 EF 11 MS 5)
  • 42 2019 (CF 1 EF 12 MS 29)
  • 11 2020 (EF 8 MS 3)
  • 27 2021 (CF 31 EF 27)
  • 49 2022 (CF 22 EF 27)
  • 22 2023 (CF 16 MS 6)

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nice move of the goalposts. 

This what a JR joint does to you. It rots our fan brains to make us accept s%*# like this. Read to the end.

You're now arguing it was a *good* move (or at least good process) to offer a 3 million dollar bonus (because it didn't involve a guarantee or a roster spot) to a player that at 35, has absolutely zero upside and should the make the 26 man would take ABs away from players that might actually be on the next decent Sox team.

Three weeks later when said player is released, nobody, literally nobody, not even a contender seeking that coveted "solid vet backup" for the league min signs him --  and now in a stroke of brilliance the Sox get the pleasure of putting him on the 26 and 40 man rosters without paying him the three million!

That's fucking genius.  

Kevin Pillar thought he had pretty much seen and experienced everything in his 13 seasons of playing professional baseball.

“I was wrong,” said the 35-year-old outfielder when talking to the media prior to Sunday’s Cactus League finale, a 7-3 loss for the White Sox against the Rockies.

Pillar was a non-roster addition to big league Spring Training for the White Sox, adding his veteran imprint to the roster and in the clubhouse over the past five weeks. He looked to be a pretty sure bet to be a part of Chicago’s Opening Day roster, but then, on Friday, he was released.

And then on Sunday, he was back on a Major League deal. With southpaw Tarik Skubal starting Thursday for the Tigers, the right-handed-hitting Pillar could go from being without a job to the starting lineup in the course of one week.

🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

it's obvious they think Pillar is a good add. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This what a JR joint does to you. It rots our fan brains to make us accept s%*# like this. Read to the end.

You're now arguing it was a *good* move (or at least good process) to offer a 3 million dollar bonus (because it didn't involve a guarantee or a roster spot) to a player that at 35, has absolutely zero upside and should the make the 26 man would take ABs away from players that might actually be on the next decent Sox team.

Three weeks later when said player is released, nobody, literally nobody, not even a contender seeking that coveted "solid vet backup" for the league min signs him --  and now in a stroke of brilliance the Sox get the pleasure of putting him on the 26 and 40 man rosters without paying him the three million!

That's fucking genius.  

🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

it's obvious they think Pillar is a good add. 

I read to the end. You changed your argument at the beginning from something about who we didn't claim because of Pillar, which isn't remotely true, and went to something else when you learned MiLB deals aren't guaranteed or rostered.

But cool.  Grrr.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I read to the end. You changed your argument at the beginning from something about who we didn't claim because of Pillar, which isn't remotely true, and went to something else when you learned MiLB deals are guaranteed or rostered.

But cool.  Grrr.  

it's all good, glad to have you back posting. Maybe we'll shock the world this year with Pillar doing his best late stage Kong for a few months. He'll also mentor Sheets to a season like a young El Caballo. 

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

it's all good, glad to have you back posting. Maybe we'll shock the world this year with Pillar doing his best late stage Kong for a few months. He'll also mentor Sheets to a season like a young El Caballo. 

These guys are all going to be awful. Most of them are just placeholders until the talent eventually gets here.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

11 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why?

His 11+ ERA this spring isn't enough to cut him?

I was going to say this earlier that I still expected Shaw to make the roster despite his poor spring because his rubber arm makes up for Grifol’s poor bullpen management.  Grifol loves Shaw because he can pitch so many consecutive days.

A glimpse into the life of a 26th man.

Pillar is the best option among all the veteran players because he brings value in the one area nobody else does on this roster and that is the proven ability beyond Robert Jr. to cover CF and RF defensively. Seems like they skimped on rest last year for Robert due perhaps in part to lack of options.

Still want Robert to play 140 - 150 games this year, just with a chance to DH every other week and be off completely every other week so he can thrive in the grind.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I'm guessing they plan to carry 9 relievers until they need the 5th starter spot. Shaw has a rubber arm and doesn't seem to mind hanging out in Charlotte until he's needed again when you cut him for Nastrini (or whoever) in a couple weeks.

Appears like they're starting the year with Nastrini on the roster...

On 3/23/2024 at 9:37 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

I didn’t realize DeJong was primarily a 3B before here,  so Mendick might not make it. Mendick can still cover all three INF spots (like Sosa), plus late game out of players corner OF for limited games, so his flexibility  might still help him make the team.

Who would be your three preferred non catcher reserves?

I’d replace Mendick with Shewmake with this new to me information if Shewmake is healthy.

Also hope Lee, Colas and Sosa come up and play regularly early in the season to assess if they can contribute in the future.

Total Games Played at 3B - All Levels

Total Games Player (Starts)

40 Man Roster

1. 549 Moncada (541)
  2. 276 DeJong (177)
  3. 249 Ramos (248) AA
  4. 115 Lopez (45)
  5. 59 Sosa (52) AAA
  6. 26 Rodriguez (21) AAA
  7. 11 Lee (7) AAA
  8. 3 Maldonado (0)
  9. 2 Vaughn (1)
  10. 2 Shewmake (0)
  11. 1 Sheets (0)

Remaining NRI Players

1. 497 Remillard (266)
  2. 132 Mendick (116)
  3. 88 Elko (0)

Ideally, to me, it would be Stassi and Lee, but obviously that's not possible.  I guess they can let Lee play AAA.  But I thought he did a good job last year behind the plate; and his .100 average was probably fluky/sample-size on the bad side.  Not that I expect him to hit well, but I'm not convinced he'll learn much from Charlotte.

As for Mendick, he was terrible last year (of course, most of the players on this team were terrible last year). He's had his shot here; give someone else a chance.

I was surprised Touki was dumped; yea, he had a rough spring, but he's got a lot of control and there is some talent there.  Shaw had a lousy spring too, and yet he apparently will make it.  I'd go with Chavez over Shaw.

Edited by GreenSox

11 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Crochet
Soroka
Fedde
Nastrini
Flexen

11 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Good lord, we're going to see some bad baseball.

Here, let me put on my eternal optimist hat that the Sox have trampled into the dirt:

• Crochet: Crazy stuff, finally get to see him start.
  • Soroka: Good when healthy.
  • Fedde: KBO Fedde sounds like a good comeback story.
  • Nastrini: Turning Lance Lynn into a quality starter with quality stuff is a fun follow.

Realist hat that the Sox have given me:

• Crochet has never been stretched out
  • Soroka is pitching Moncada. They both had great 2019s. The difference is that Moncada also had a good 2021.
  • Fedde: He was the MVP of a league with AAish talent.
  • Nastrini: God, please don't rush him. If we're throwing a guy with 19 IP and a 4 ERA in AAA into the mix immediately, well, idk what that means for the much vaunted "depth" that has been assembled.
  • Chris Flexen didn't belong on the other list so he goes here.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1