2/23/24 Game Thread White Sox at Chicago N. L. 2:05PM CST; TV: NBCSCH, Radio: ESPN1000

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

That's not really unfathomable. Between replacing negative production with better than replacement, and the veterans regressing to the mean, they could scrape 72 wins. 

I took the over at 62.5.

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

That's not really unfathomable. Between replacing negative production with better than replacement, and the veterans regressing to the mean, they could scrape 72 wins. 

2023: “This team is a 75 win team in all the projections, but Pedro Grifol is going to do a good job and get them up to 88 wins.”

2024: “This team is a 62 win team in the projections but Pedro Grifol is going to do a good job and get them up to 72 wins.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think that’s a good bet, although you won’t be in the clear until a week or so is left in the season.

Thats rough, you can’t check out the whole year? Ick, that’s not worth what you’d win.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think that’s a good bet, although you won’t be in the clear until a week or so is left in the season.

True. It will be close.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thats rough, you can’t check out the whole year? Ick, that’s not worth what you’d win.

I won't check out the whole year anyway. I'll still be at game.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Chris Kamka who came up with interesting nuggets on the White Sox broadcasts, went to Marquee. 

JR doesn’t care to keep anyone with talent.  But if you are terrible at your job, you can keep it as long as your worship at the Reinsdorf temple.  Guy is a narcissistic clown of an owner.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

As much as I want to see my Sox do well, this roster is scary bad. The regime has not done anything to improve the team at any level. Really bad pitching and if Cease is traded, it will only fuel the dumpster fire. If you doubt my analysis, ask yourself who is the leader, who’s the spark, who’s the stopper as a starter or closer. Realizing that this is supposed to be a rebuild, you start the spring training excitement with a 40 year old pitcher that promptly gets lit up.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Laughlin Phil said:

As much as I want to see my Sox do well, this roster is scary bad. The regime has not done anything to improve the team at any level. Really bad pitching and if Cease is traded, it will only fuel the dumpster fire. If you doubt my analysis, ask yourself who is the leader, who’s the spark, who’s the stopper as a starter or closer. Realizing that this is supposed to be a rebuild, you start the spring training excitement with a 40 year old pitcher that promptly gets lit up.

But he had a mid 1's ERA last year for one of the the inarguably three best teams in baseball in the Braves.

1 hour ago, Laughlin Phil said:

If anything, the struggles with Gonzalez at around his spot in the draft (same for 2024) would or should have told them the Royals' approach (minus Witt Jr.) was the only way to get back closer to .500. But they instead chose to completely tear things down with no benefit except clawing back past (theoretical) financial losses. which are certainly not going to improve much unless they go all the way down to $85-105 million for a payroll floor.

Putting a positive in this thread before it's mercifully locked away in the Soxtalk Archieves.

Didn't see this highlight posted earlier, so here we go with Tim Elko's first White Sox HR, and John Schriffen's first home run call in his new full time White Sox announcer role.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Putting a positive in this thread before it's mercifully locked away in the Soxtalk Archieves.

Didn't see this highlight posted earlier, so here we go with Tim Elko's first White Sox HR, and John Schriffen's first home run call in his new full time White Sox announcer role.

I will say, Benetti's home run calls NEVER got better 

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

2023: “This team is a 75 win team in all the projections, but Pedro Grifol is going to do a good job and get them up to 88 wins.”

2024: “This team is a 62 win team in the projections but Pedro Grifol is going to do a good job and get them up to 72 wins.”

As a proud member of the 2024 Optimist Club, and my optimism is all despite Pedro.
Really, I haven't read a single post that suggests Pedro will help things.

The only move that I consider a negative, more in what it portends than what it is, is the signing of Moustakas.