Sox claim OF Peyton Burdick from Baltimore

Heads22

Where are the Birds' supporters to argue what a great loss this guy was?

Heard DJ and Len spinning on Maldonado for 5+ minutes how great he was with a pitching staff and that he could hit 240-250 but was somehow more dangerous picking his spots for 15 homers and under the Mendoza Line.

How subtle and effortless every single motion like pitch blocking, or throwing to second with a runner on third, or tagging batters before they could run to first was without once referencing Grandal Seby Lee.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Burdick does have two options FWIW.  Personally, I’d rather gamble on this kid as the weak side of a RF platoon than give Pillar the role.  But I assume the latter happens, at least to start the season.

1 more option than Sheets has.

59 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Burdick does have two options FWIW.  Personally, I’d rather gamble on this kid as the weak side of a RF platoon than give Pillar the role.  But I assume the latter happens, at least to start the season.

Setting aside JR's ludicrous faux GM job search, in the same mold as Tony's, who by the way is still rummaging around doing unknown damage to morale and actual decisions,  I was willing to give Getz some time.

I've liked the FO decisions he made, especially the lack of attractiveness of working in an organization operated by Jerry Reinsdorf. Was also fine to pleased with many of his moves, and the few that were head scratchers like Maldonado are one year deals on guys they can hopefully flush if their prospects are ready.

The past few weeks have been really concerting. I realize young starters are hard to come by, unless they are apparently named Mena, so was OK taking a chance on some mid 20s rotation guys with some pedigree and or fixable / improvable mechanics to give the Sox much needed innings.

Pillar and Mendick are OK as final reserves who provide positional flexibility, but WTF is this Moustakas, Brett Phillips, Rafael Ortega, Mark Payton s%*#? The Sox need to spend their time developing their young players, not serving as a boarding house for guys who are either done or never were to begin with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Well he’s 26 and has a .747 OPS in two seasons at AAA with a .214 batting average.

My point is that Colas has been so bad that, even if this guy is somehow “worse,” it’s really hard to have that production be meaningfully worse. Like, the difference between a .600 OPS and a .570 OPS from the corner is not really going to matter.

• 3 weeks later...