Grifol: DeJong, Lopez, Maldonado are good on offense

Quin

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

And this guy just blew way JR and the entire FO during his interview.  

JR loves to hear that cheap veteran free agents can still have that one last magical season.  Dumpster diving for veteran position players has been a White Sox staple for years.  It doesn’t matter who the GM is — Kenny, Hahn, or Getz.  It’s the front office strategy.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, fathom said:

I read this closely a few times

Well, Getz also had to go above and beyond what Kenny and Hahn did to get the GM job with very little experience.  JR thought Getz was head and shoulders the best candidate.  How Grifol got hired, I have no idea.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, Getz had to go above and beyond what Kenny and Hahn did to get the GM job with very little experience.  JR thought Getz was head and shoulders the best candidate.

Apparently you should read it closely a few more times.

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Biggest lie of all:

Paul DeJong should be on a major league roster with a major league contract and starting for a Major League Baseball team.

The Sox should do what the Royals did with Witt, play Montgomery every single day. Give him a day off every two weeks. Look, this team is going nowhere. The guy is 22. No pressure on him. Just play him. What good is playing DeJong for gawd sakes. Montgomery could hit .111 and I'd be OK with it.

• TLR 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The sad thing is that a very small number of posters on this message board actually liked most of Getz’s moves this offseason and probably buy into the 💩 that Grifol is selling.

I like all of Getz's moves except Maldonado and don't see the point of Moustakas, but if it keeps Sheets off the team, I'll allow it. Pedro Grifol could just sit in the team bus during games, and I really don't care what he has to say, at this point. 

8 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

They only need to fool enough people to get a decent amount to show up at the games and/or buy season packages.

Baseball games are the best way to spend time with my nephew and his kids. Sorry, I won't be boycotting my family just to support a bunch of cranks who hate everything, anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Baseball games are the best way to spend time with my nephew and his kids. Sorry, I won't be boycotting my family just to support a bunch of cranks who hate everything, anyway. 

I shouldn’t be one to talk. I’ll probably still make it to my recent average of 2-3 games a year despite my disgust. Although I’ll mostly just be eating and drinking while paying little to no attention to the game.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Like 1

I think we all appreciate honesty.

"Hey, these guys are cheap and we're required to fill a roster. I didn't pick them, they're the scrap heap of players. My goal this season is to save my career. We are going to lose 100 games and it's not my fault." 

• Haha 1

I do think there is a chance this team is fun bad.  Last year was a compete s%*#-show and the losses were legit painful.  At least for me, I fully expect a 60 win team this year and some of the most uninteresting baseball imaginable.  I kind of look forward to witnessing first hand all the dumb s%*# Grifol will do with his collection of misfits & has-beens.  The offense will likely be terrible and seeing Getz’s vision of a bad pitching, bad hitting, plus defensive team come to life will be fascinating.  Gamethreads will be a riot and I’m going to love when all the fans in the stadium turn on the team and start booing the likes of Maldonado, DeJong, & Moustakas before they wither away into the DFA afterlife.  I’d much rather prefer a competitive team obviously, but if you’re going to be bad, do it with a complete lack of style & grace.

• Haha 1

I will say this much.  If Pedro really is as much of a dumbass as we all think, it is going to become a lot more obvious how bad he is when he is losing 3-2 games because of his mistakes versus losing 9-2 because his entire pitching staff and defense was trash and there were no good answers for either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this much.  If Pedro really is as much of a dumbass as we all think, it is going to become a lot more obvious how bad he is when he is losing 3-2 games because of his mistakes versus losing 9-2 because his entire pitching staff and defense was trash and there were no good answers for either.

Smug idiot hoisted on his own petard. Works for me.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:45 AM, Quin said:

I know Spring Training is fluffy than marshmallows, but his interview with Vinnie Duber was hysterical.

Time-stamped for your listening pleasure (misery)?

• On DeJong: "Has done it before. He didn't lose it. It's still there." - Hit .207 last year, was released by 2 teams. Hit under .200 in 2021 and 2022.
  • On Lopez: "He hit .300 in the American League a few years ago." - So did former batting champion Tim Anderson! Lopez is a career .249 hitter, so 2021 is currently an outlier.
  • On Maldonado: "I don't feel that he's a .180 hitter." - Technically correct since 2019. He's been a .191 hitter in five seasons since then.

Grifol is going to be like TLR with Leury Garcia with us, but with 3 terrible hitters.

Grifol is delusional.  Falling in love with aging journeymen flirting with the Mendoza line, and expecting all of a sudden to become good offensive players.

Edited by hankchifan
Did not finish y write up.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:36 PM, GreenSox said:

And this guy just blew way JR and the entire FO during his interview.  

Editors Note:  blew Away  

"You forgot to say 'away' again."

-M. Bluth

Edited by JoeC

On 2/29/2024 at 12:18 AM, greg775 said:

The Sox should do what the Royals did with Witt, play Montgomery every single day. Give him a day off every two weeks. Look, this team is going nowhere. The guy is 22. No pressure on him. Just play him. What good is playing DeJong for gawd sakes. Montgomery could hit .111 and I'd be OK with it.

The problem is that if Montgomery hits .111 or .200 at this level, he is likely going to develop bad habits that will ruin his growth for the long term.

Give the kid time to actually develop in the minors (sounds like it won't take long), and let guys like DeJong struggle and be themselves. You won't do harm to the kid who actually matters to the long term success of the team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

The problem is that if Montgomery hits .111 or .200 at this level, he is likely going to develop bad habits that will ruin his growth for the long term.

Give the kid time to actually develop in the minors (sounds like it won't take long), and let guys like DeJong struggle and be themselves. You won't do harm to the kid who actually matters to the long term success of the team. 

Also zero reason to blow a year of control unless he's legitimately earned it...forcing the issue.

• Like 1

With what has happened the last 2 years with the team and this imbecile as manager it is becoming extremely hard for me to care anymore, I have 72 years invested with the Sox and I’m trying to hang in there, what happens this year could be the deciding factor. Part of the problem is the team wasn’t improved one iota over the off season and we still have an idiot as manager, unless I’m  missing something, what is there to look forward to.

14 hours ago, JoeC said:

Exactly, there’s no reason to rush him.

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

With what has happened the last 2 years with the team and this imbecile as manager it is becoming extremely hard for me to care anymore, I have 72 years invested with the Sox and I’m trying to hang in there, what happens this year could be the deciding factor. Part of the problem is the team wasn’t improved one iota over the off season and we still have an idiot as manager, unless I’m  missing something, what is there to look forward to.

I think you're going to be surprised how much  better this team will be this year. I realize I'm one of the few people who think they're going to be good.. I think we're in for an exciting year!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 2

12 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I think you're going to be surprised how much  better this team will be this year. I realize I'm one of the few people who think they're going to be good.. I think we're in for an exciting year!!!!

OK, JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Okay Brooks, Our Chuck, Merkinpuff and Stone Pony.

(Don't think you will see those words from Fegan this year.)

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I admire your optimism, you remind me of myself from back in the day.

Edited by The Mighty Mite