Garrett Crochet named Opening Day starter

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I keep coming back to wondering why you even root for this team. If they're such colossal failures, why are you named after them? Are you one, too?

I've been watching this team since 1990, and baseball in general since around then too. I'm highly critical of the White Sox org because I want them to win. I want them to be good. But we have all watched them fail repeatedly, and stupidly, especially over the past decade. The White Sox don't operate the way good orgs do, and have not earned any benefit of the doubt. It is possible, healthy even, to be critical of a sports team we have invested time, energy, dollars, and emotion into. 

It's also cute that you crow about insults and name-calling, but have been engaging in the same behavior since you showed up on this site. I guess emotional maturity isn't guaranteed to increase with age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I've been watching this team since 1990, and baseball in general since around then too. I'm highly critical of the White Sox org because I want them to win. I want them to be good. But we have all watched them fail repeatedly, and stupidly, especially over the past decade. The White Sox don't operate the way good orgs do, and have not earned any benefit of the doubt. It is possible, healthy even, to be critical of a sports team we have invested time, energy, dollars, and emotion into. 

It's also cute that you crow about insults and name-calling, but have been engaging in the same behavior since you showed up on this site. I guess emotional maturity isn't guaranteed to increase with age.

I've been watching since 71. Most times, yes, they suck. 

Edited by WestEddy

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I brought up Schultz as an example of a different way of ramping up a pitcher. It wasn't hard to understand. 

Schultz's and Crochet's programs are different. They're different pitchers with different issues. Crochet pitched 54+ innings 3 of 4 years, then was drafted. I would imagine if he hit 100 innings in June/July, they'd ramp him down to 3 inning opener on a 5 day program, or something less. Or pull him once through the lineup with tougher lineups. I don't know. 

I would think Getz would be calling Grifol into his office as soon as he lets Crochet throw a 120 pitch complete game. Grifol is a horrible communicator, let the clubhouse get completely out of hand, but I think it presses the edge of credibility to think that he's going to kill a pitcher trying to go 21-50 instead of 20-51. 

That's great that most of the board is concerned about Crochet. I don't think that concern is reflected in making up insane counter-arguments to just dig in and argue a faulty point. 

And here he is now quoting IPs as the basis for how much Crochet can go

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And here he is now quoting IPs as the basis for how much Crochet can go

4. Wander into other conversations arguing with anything to prove ... something. 

Oh, wait. That's you. 

27 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

4. Wander into other conversations arguing with anything to prove ... something. 

Oh, wait. That's you. 

I am just glad you finally admitted I was right by using exactly what I have been telling you as proof.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just glad you finally admitted I was right by using exactly what I have been telling you as proof.

You were arguing that no pitching matters unless you see it in the official stats. I never did anything but laugh at that. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Can we question the Sox plan/usage of Crochet yet?  I know there is one poster here that I don't want to set off again about this "stupid" argument...

Just put him on ignore like a bunch of us have. Their plan for Crochet is clearly "pitch him until his arm falls off". I wonder if there's some kind of grudge being held by the Sox for him insisting on being a starter this offseason?

8 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Just put him on ignore like a bunch of us have. Their plan for Crochet is clearly "pitch him until his arm falls off". I wonder if there's some kind of grudge being held by the Sox for him insisting on being a starter this offseason?

BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THE SOX ARE WRONG ABOUT THIS STRATEGY?!?

Who am I?  Haha...

• Haha 1