Colas

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Injury-prone players get injured, frequently and at any time.  That’s why they are called injury-prone.  It’s why most people just laugh when Eloy gets hurt, because it happens so often, it is no longer a surprise to people.  The dude had a foot contusion right at the end of Spring Training and was day-to-day.  He then gets injured gingerly running to first base in less than ten games into the season.  If you are betting on a guy like Eloy to stay healthy for any sort of stretch of time, you may as well throw your money into a lot fireplace.  Moncada is similar — back issues, shin issues, etc.  Robert is starting to get the label as well.

Again.... what was the correct move?  Those guys are comically injury prone.  No one disagrees.  Would you have cut them?  That wasn't happening.  This team was never going to be good this year.  You are acting like they were on the verge of being good if only Getz made different decisions.  This was always going to be a lost year.... whether that meant 57 wins or 72 wins.  It doesn't matter.  Blame Getz for actual stuff he had control over.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Injury-prone players get injured, frequently and at any time.  That’s why they are called injury-prone.  It’s why most people just laugh when Eloy gets hurt, because it happens so often, it is no longer a surprise to people.  The dude had a foot contusion right at the end of Spring Training and was day-to-day.  He then gets injured gingerly running to first base in less than ten games into the season.  If you are betting on a guy like Eloy to stay healthy for any sort of stretch of time, you may as well throw your money into a lot fireplace.  Moncada is similar — back issues, shin issues, etc.  Robert is starting to get the label as well.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you just picking up an easy win to dunk on everyone? "I knew the sun was coming up today!! All of you sun-deniers are stupid, and I'm smart!!!" 

It was not unreasonable to expect Robert to be relatively healthy this season. He just played 145 games last year. Eloy was moved to DH to expose him less. Both Eloy and Yoan expressed confidence in their offseason routines to play in most of our games. Nobody placed any bets. Nobody here was braying that the three would surely stay healthy all season. But it is silly to pretend that you had absolute knowledge that all three would be out 10 games into the season.  

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you just picking up an easy win to dunk on everyone? "I knew the sun was coming up today!! All of you sun-deniers are stupid, and I'm smart!!!" 

It was not unreasonable to expect Robert to be relatively healthy this season. He just played 145 games last year. Eloy was moved to DH to expose him less. Both Eloy and Yoan expressed confidence in their offseason routines to play in most of our games. Nobody placed any bets. Nobody here was braying that the three would surely stay healthy all season. But it is silly to pretend that you had absolute knowledge that all three would be out 10 games into the season.  

eloy-jimenez-injury-history-since-2019-h.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You're all over the place. It's like you grew up staring at littles screens and you can't see everything around you, the room it's in, the house.the town and the big world.

JR is full of s%*#. The rebuild failed , andthey lost 100 games last year just to catch you up on things.

Apparently you were not aware of these things and that the Sox were very bad and that they were cutting payroll as much as possible.

What possible outcome you expected this year I can't comprehend. Yes players get injured and guys who get injured a lot get injured more often. Fringe talent plays like fringe talent. Dumpster dive players rarely work out. Bargains rarely work out.

The plan seemed to be get cheap pitching and see if you can make it better and trade it.

Perhaps maybe your often injured players could stay healthy and you could get something for them too. But we always knew that it wasn't a good plan. The failures were going to outweigh the successes because you're picking up turds and polishing them . Hope you understand whats going on now.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

eloy-jimenez-injury-history-since-2019-h.

Again, it's like you're pointing to the one fact that you've been able to wrap your head around for the last 4 months, and you're pretending it proves everything you've spouted all year. These guys are under contract. Getz had little else to do but assume he had a DH, 3B and CF relatively covered at least through the first 11 games. He certainly wasn't going to eat Eloy and Yoan's contracts and cut them because some dude on the internet would bray once they got injured. 

Not sure where you're going with this. There was no trade market for Yoan or Eloy. 

Edited by WestEddy

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes I encourage everybody to use the ignore feature when needed. It cuts down on the amount of dead horses argued over if absolutely nothing else. 

I think the only people I've ignored are two Baltimore guys, and the Jerks dicks guy who keeps arguing that Earth owes rapists and abusers an apology for not liking rapists and abusers. Vastly improved my SoxTalk experience. 

42 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Oh s%*#, you're right.  He sure does get hurt a lot.  How come no one talks about this? 

Thanks for noticing.  

I nicknamed Eloy “The Glasshouse” a long long long time ago. 😆

Back on topic of Colas - It would be really great for the LT of the franchise if he has learned something from his time in the majors and applied it over the off-season and into spring training and we see him actually develop into a solid and productive major leaguer.  He has tools - and we always knew he was raw - so he absolutely is the type of guy who in his 2nd go round could really look different.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Back on topic of Colas - It would be really great for the LT of the franchise if he has learned something from his time in the majors and applied it over the off-season and into spring training and we see him actually develop into a solid and productive major leaguer.  He has tools - and we always knew he was raw - so he absolutely is the type of guy who in his 2nd go round could really look different.  

I'm hoping that like Lee he looks to have measurably improved.  If Lee and Colas both have solid seasons that would be a major reason to keep watching throughout the year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He’s gotta hit eventually, right?  Every time he goes to AAA, he hits well.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm hoping that like Lee he looks to have measurably improved.  If Lee and Colas both have solid seasons that would be a major reason to keep watching throughout the year.

Excitement over Lee needs to be tempered.  The dude has 17 plate appearances.  Of course him hitting like he currently is is much better than the alternative but it will be interesting to see how his 30% K/per 9 in the minors translates to the majors.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Excitement over Lee needs to be tempered.  The dude has 17 plate appearances.  Of course him hitting like he currently is is much better than the alternative but it will be interesting to see how his 30% K/per 9 in the minors translates to the majors.

Eh,  he's currently rocking some of the best EV in MLB.

SSS caveats as always, and of course he's not this good -- but this is an encouraging start.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Of course it should be tempered but he should also be playing as often as possible regardless.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He doesn't have to be a star to have big value.  There are 21 catchers in MLB who have put up 400 ABs since the start of the 2023 season.  The median OPS of that group is .728.  6 of those are above .800, while 6 also have one under .700.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully the kid shows he learned something from whatever lesson he was being taught.

My hope was he was Pedro's whipping boy as there was nobody else he could try and hammer.  Pedro is a moron and not properly handling young players seems par for his assine course. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He doesn't have to be a star to have big value.  There are 21 catchers in MLB who have put up 400 ABs since the start of the 2023 season.  The median OPS of that group is .728.  6 of those are above .800, while 6 also have one under .700.

That 69th percentile (nice) sprint speed is encouraging. He's going to be able to create value as a catcher from different ways, including just not being a negative baserunner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That 69th percentile (nice) sprint speed is encouraging. He's going to be able to create value as a catcher from different ways, including just not being a negative baserunner.

And considering they flipped Graveman for him, who is getting paid $8M to miss the entire season, I’d say that trade was a huge win even if Lee only amounts to a serviceable backup catcher.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean if he puts up a regular .700 OPS and lives up to his plus defensive scouting report, the kid would be a top half catcher in MLB.  Yeah he isn't a star, but is a starter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh, definitely.  I’m just afraid his propensity for strikeouts will lead to long droughts that mess up his overall line.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And considering they flipped Graveman for him, who is getting paid $8M to miss the entire season, I’d say that trade was a huge win even if Lee only amounts to a serviceable backup catcher.

Very true.  They dumped a lot of money and got a cheap young catcher who looks like he can play defense and may actually hit as well.