Sox Select Remillard & Justin Anderson; DFA Shaw

ChiSox59

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Why didn't they just put Moncada on 60-day IL and call up Remillard to begin with rather than waste Colas' time?

I think the idea was that they didn’t know the extent of Yoans injury until the next day and Colas was the only healthy position player on the 40 man. But yeah…we’re on same page that Colas should have just stayed. 

• Like 3

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I think the idea was that they didn’t know the extent of Yoans injury until the next day and Colas was the only healthy position player on the 40 man. But yeah…we’re on same page that Colas should have just stayed. 

Yeah, I guess the timing issue makes sense. Just needed a body and didn't know how long yet.

24 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

He made his money. He had a fine career. He got an extra shot to play in the bigs that he made not have had otherwise.

You say poor Shaw, I say poor us.

Career to date (may be incomplete) $42,214,200

Yea I think he'll be ok

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

So they didn't smell a win the following day with that same 5-0 lead?

Just breaking the long/er losing streaks matters?

What does this even mean ? Are you just piling on now to get a chuckle ? What should've been done that wasn't done the next day? Are you suggesting Kopech was supposed to pitch the day after he threw 2.0 innings ? He was unavailable, Leasure was unavailable, Brebbia was injured. Wlison was pitching in his second consecutive game and 4th in the last 6 and they luckily got a 7 pitch inning out of him .

I'm just as upset as anyone that the team is filled with has beens and never was'. But they suck and  their best relief pitchers  weren't available. Things change from day to day, that's how pitching worksnot only in the starting rotation but also in the BP. Expect wins perhaps weekly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What does this even mean ? Are you just piling on now to get a chuckle ? What should've been done that wasn't done the next day? Are you suggesting Kopech was supposed to pitch the day after he threw 2.0 innings ? He was unavailable, Leasure was unavailable, Brebbia was injured. Wlison was pitching in his second consecutive game and 4th in the last 6 and they luckily got a 7 pitch inning out of him .

I'm just as upset as anyone that the team is filled with has beens and never was'. But they suck and  their best relief pitchers  weren't available. Things change from day to day, that's how pitching worksnot only in the starting rotation but also in the BP. Expect wins perhaps weekly.

If your mentality is to "try really hard" to get a certain select win (once or twice a week)...just can't imagine how that mentality will wear down over the course of a full season.  When they start to blow some of those leads they're actually actively trying to win and not just sacrifice in covering innings.

Edited by caulfield12

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If your mentality is to "try really hard" to get a certain select win (once or twice a week)...just can't imagine how that mentality will wear down over the course of a full season.  When they start to blow some of those leads they're actually actively trying to win and not just sacrifice in covering innings.

I think this is the reality though and sort of what I'm judging Pedro on...this is a loser team (through no fault of his own) and we really do need to claw for every win (are we winning right now? I'm waiting to watch the replay). How well can Pedro hold onto leads with his bullpen decisions? Kopech helps because he can (and should) go two innings at a time without sacrificing stuff. Frankly, I don't see why he can't close out leads after the 6th inning two or three times a week, he's a starting pitcher and presumably prepared for the season like a starting pitcher. I guess baseball teams don't do this anymore, but why can't Kopech throw 90 to 100 innings out of the bullpen?

I'm skeptical about Pedro's lineup/bullpen decisions because they seem formulaic and like a formula that the MLB moved past a long time ago but I can appreciate where his head is at, that he has the power to decide outcomes of certain games if he makes good managerial decisions.

23 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think this is the reality though and sort of what I'm judging Pedro on...this is a loser team (through no fault of his own) and we really do need to claw for every win (are we winning right now? I'm waiting to watch the replay). How well can Pedro hold onto leads with his bullpen decisions? Kopech helps because he can (and should) go two innings at a time without sacrificing stuff. Frankly, I don't see why he can't close out leads after the 6th inning two or three times a week, he's a starting pitcher and presumably prepared for the season like a starting pitcher. I guess baseball teams don't do this anymore, but why can't Kopech throw 90 to 100 innings out of the bullpen?

I'm skeptical about Pedro's lineup/bullpen decisions because they seem formulaic and like a formula that the MLB moved past a long time ago but I can appreciate where his head is at, that he has the power to decide outcomes of certain games if he makes good managerial decisions.

I wonder if they’re being told not to over-use Kopech because he 1.) could be traded or 2.) is a likely future piece versus several of the current players.  This is the type of year where we need to identify a reliever who is not afraid to toss up 2-3 innings and then come back to toss 2-3 innings 2 days later.  It may be more of a soft-tosser/rubber arm, but that is one person who saves the pen.  Maybe a guy later in his career who wants to play in the Show.  You also could see why position player could eat an inning or two in a game like we’re currently in, down 9-1…make that 11-1.

Edited by tjp1684
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tjp1684 said:

I wonder if they’re being told not to over-use Kopech because he 1.) could be traded or 2.) is a likely future piece versus several of the current players.  This is the type of year where we need to identify a reliever who is not afraid to toss up 2-3 innings and then come back to toss 2-3 innings 2 days later.  It may be more of a soft-tosser/rubber arm, but that is one person who saves the pen.  Maybe a guy later in his career who wants to play in the Show.  You also could see why position player could eat an inning or two in a game like we’re currently in, down 9-1…make that 11-1.

Totally agree, well said. Side note, I was trying to avoid the score so I could watch the replay (so why come to a white Sox forum? A mystery) but now I know I don’t have to subject myself to watching this team, you’ve saved my Friday evening!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Totally agree, well said. Side note, I was trying to avoid the score so I could watch the replay (so why come to a white Sox forum? A mystery) but now I know I don’t have to subject myself to watching this team, you’ve saved my Friday evening!

Normally I would say, “Oh crap! Sorry for ruining that.”  However, you might find more excitement pulling weeds or cleaning out a fridge.  

My son put on the Sox jersey he got for his birthday and wanted to watch a few innings before bed.  He looked at the score and said, “The Sox aren’t good at scoring runs, but the teams we play are.”  Someone asked why I got the jersey blank.  I said it was like $30 cheaper, and I wasn’t confident any of the actual options we could get would be on the team for the entire year or into the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1