Tommy Pham close to deal with White Sox

Vote4Pedro

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yes, this excuse was used for Rick Hahn and the general response was that if it was so bad, he could just have not taken the job.

GMs with tighter leashes were able to build rosters that weren't on track to be the worst team in major league history.

It’s insane the excuse making that some made for Hahn, and it’s carried over to Getz.   Almost every decision Getz has made since taking over has aged poorly so far.  The Cease return is doing well so far and the Fedde deal looks good.  The rest….terrible

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know if it’s been explained but…if you are going to sign Pham and Clevinger why the hell wait so long?  To get more leverage and save a few bucks.  They aren’t going to be world beaters but at least sign them early enough so they can break cramp with the team.  The Sox’ literally went into opening day with a 4 man rotation.  That’s horrible roster management.  Did anyone actually believe Yoan, Eloy, and Luis were going to play 155 games together?  Now you have a lineup that essentially requires a DH in the outfield at all times, Nicky Lopez is your lead off hitter, the new centerfielder is literally tripping all over himself and knocking it over the fence, and the largest contract in team history and newest infielder are missing routine fly balls.  Getz swung and missed badly.  I’m sure he is under pretty significant financial limitations and some of it is a shitty situation left over from the previous regime, but they went into this season with zero backup plan.  They needed everything to go right to even get to 65 wins,  now a couple guys go down and this is what you get.  Legit making a run of the worst record in league history and setting new records for futility on almost a daily basis.

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s insane the excuse making that some made for Hahn, and it’s carried over to Getz.   Almost every decision Getz has made since taking over has aged poorly so far.  The Cease return is doing well so far and the Fedde deal looks good.  The rest….terrible

Yeah, as a former Hahn apologist it's ridiculous to hear it get repeated.

The man had two skills (in my opinion), which was teardowns and extending young players. But he couldn't develop players,  sign good free agents, or trade for veterans without devastating the farm system in some stupid manner.

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

The real decision making hasn't happened yet.  He's just doing damage control until some of these awful contracts are off the books and he has some money to spend. 

37 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yes, this excuse was used for Rick Hahn and the general response was that if it was so bad, he could just have not taken the job.

GMs with tighter leashes were able to build rosters that weren't on track to be the worst team in major league history.

Exactly.  More excuses for Getz, but I guess he needs them.  Like I said in another thread, other GMs with even bigger payroll constraints than Getz wouldn’t have been successful at building a record-breaking losing team like Getz managed to had they actually tried to do so.  Somehow, our first year GM, who wouldn’t have been hired to the position by any other team in baseball, managed to do it.  I wonder why?  Oh, because he’s in over his head.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly.  More excuses for Getz, but I guess he needs them.  Like I said in another thread, other GMs with even bigger payroll constraints than Getz wouldn’t have been successful at building a record-breaking losing team like Getz managed to had they actually tried to do so.

Watching the end of the game last night my wife asked why they were so bad and I told her it was a combo of the owner being cheap, but the nepo-GM having a lot of hubris as he stepped into his new role assuming he could build a roster of a bunch of players that played like him, which was not a very good player.

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The real decision making hasn't happened yet.  He's just doing damage control until some of these awful contracts are off the books and he has some money to spend. 

I fear what the payroll will be when the time comes though 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The only truly awful contract is Benintendi, and unfortunately that is going to around for another 3.8 seasons.  I guess you could lump Moncada in there, but none of the other contract are really all that bad. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

Perhaps you can provide me with 1st year GMs who had payrolls slashed as much coming off 100 loss seasons who had tighter leashes .

No 2 situations are the same and acting as if they are is bs.

Yes teams like the Orioles Dbacks ,Pirates all have made strides recently but look how long it took the Orioles and Pirates. How many teams rebuild with the same GM and President in charge of the downfall as well as the rebuild ?

How many of those teams refused to play the game in the Dominican Republic like JR has for 45 years ? What do you know about the best coaches, best scouts and best training facilities of other teams as compared to the White Sox ?

How often have other teams traded away their international money compared to the Sox ? These are only the questions I can remember to ask.There would probably be many more if I could remember everything about how JR conducts business that seems a bit different than other teams. There's also the fact that the Sox are one team of 2 teams to never have signed a player to a $100M contract.

At least I accept the fact I know practically nothing about what's going on behind the scenes and don't pretend to know everything about  the Sox and every front office in the game . That's the only reason I have for cutting any executive hired by JR any slack at all.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Well his damage control has been a disaster and caused.... damage.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Can't wait for the next 3rd tier free agents being sold as some sort of a prize.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Well his damage control has been a disaster and caused.... damage.

That’s what I was thinking.  This team is literally setting records for futility.  If the goal was “damage control” then it’s a horrible failure.  I have to imagine that it won’t be this bad all season but…they are on pace to lose almost 140 games.  This is a historically bad roster.  And don’t give me the excuse of Robert and Yoan going down.  If you don’t go into the season expecting a couple players to have long term IL trips, that’s a poorly formed plan.  Yoan has been playing hurt for literally years and Luis has played over 100 games exactly once in his career.  If you want damage control at least play some of these fringe AAAA guys instead of signing dudes in their late 30s that can’t hit.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

Joey Bart should have been acquired, no question about it

He didn’t make it to waivers, but yes. They definitely should have tried if they didn’t. 

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Perhaps you can provide me with 1st year GMs who had payrolls slashed as much coming off 100 loss seasons who had tighter leashes .

Yes teams like the Orioles Dbacks ,Pirates all have made strides recently but look how long it took the Orioles and Pirates. How many teams rebuild with the same GM and President in charge of the downfall as well as the rebuild ?

How many of those teams refused to play the game in the Dominican Republic like JR has for 45 years ? What do you know about the best coaches, best scouts and best training facilities of other teams as compared to the White Sox ?

How often have other teams traded away their international money compared to the Sox ? These are only the questions I can remember to ask.There would probably be many more if I could remember everything about how JR conducts business that seems a bit different than other teams. There's also the fact that the Sox are one team of 2 teams to never have signed a player to a $100M contract.

At least I accept the fact I know practically nothing about what's going on behind the scenes and don't pretend to know everything about  the Sox and every front office in the game . That's the only reason I have for cutting any executive hired by JR any slack at all.

It isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, but he did give Martin Maldonado $4 million for some reason.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The flaw in your reasoning and defense of Getz is that he is on pace to set a record for futility that no other GM before him has managed to “accomplish”, in any front office situation, whether it be better than the Sox, equally as bad as the Sox, or worse.  If Getz’s team does indeed set the record, your post here likely means absolutely nothing.  You would then somehow have to prove that Getz was promoted into the worst GM/team situation of all time baseball history.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The flaw in your reasoning and defense of Getz is that he is on pace to set a record for futility that no other GM before him has managed to “accomplish”, in any front office situation, whether it be better than the Sox, equally as bad as the Sox, or worse.  If Getz’s team does indeed set the record, your post here likely means absolutely nothing.  You would then somehow have to prove that Getz was promoted into the worst GM/team situation of all time baseball history.

Yeah, Eloy and Moncada were hurt last year, so they should be a net zero.

Losing Cease hurts, obviously. And Robert. But Getz decided to keep the med staff (and a lot of minor league coaches).

But Chris "Baseball Man" Getz completely overturned the pitching staff from OD last year (Kopech and Clevinger aside) and they're hot garbage. I fail to see why Brebbia deserved $4M (I know someone is about to blabber about Hahn, but tough s%*#, he shouldn't make the same mistakes), Maldonado getting $4M, or his other worthless pack-the-roster moves.

He's burning cash on dog s%*#, like Hahn did, dumping prospects for dogshit, and didn't improve in defense like he boasted he would.

And if he takes until next year to make a change, then there was truly no point to hire him over an actual baseball executive.

He also decided to get a 29-year-old reliever for Cease. If Wilson isn't dominant, then they missed out on getting something else in the Cease trade.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

I don’t know if it’s been explained but…if you are going to sign Pham and Clevinger why the hell wait so long?  To get more leverage and save a few bucks.  They aren’t going to be world beaters but at least sign them early enough so they can break cramp with the team.  The Sox’ literally went into opening day with a 4 man rotation.  That’s horrible roster management.  Did anyone actually believe Yoan, Eloy, and Luis were going to play 155 games together?  Now you have a lineup that essentially requires a DH in the outfield at all times, Nicky Lopez is your lead off hitter, the new centerfielder is literally tripping all over himself and knocking it over the fence, and the largest contract in team history and newest infielder are missing routine fly balls.  Getz swung and missed badly.  I’m sure he is under pretty significant financial limitations and some of it is a shitty situation left over from the previous regime, but they went into this season with zero backup plan.  They needed everything to go right to even get to 65 wins,  now a couple guys go down and this is what you get.  Legit making a run of the worst record in league history and setting new records for futility on almost a daily basis.

Do you think anybody was eager to sign with the Sox? I find it more reasonable to believe agents looked at the caller ID and didn't pick up when Getz was calling. Anybody would have been a better offer. 

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Yeah, Eloy and Moncada were hurt last year, so they should be a net zero.

Losing Cease hurts, obviously. And Robert. But Getz decided to keep the med staff (and a lot of minor league coaches).

But Chris "Baseball Man" Getz completely overturned the pitching staff from OD last year (Kopech and Clevinger aside) and they're hot garbage. I fail to see why Brebbia deserved $4M (I know someone is about to blabber about Hahn, but tough s%*#, he shouldn't make the same mistakes), Maldonado getting $4M, or his other worthless pack-the-roster moves.

He's burning cash on dog s%*#, like Hahn did, dumping prospects for dogshit, and didn't improve in defense like he boasted he would.

And if he takes until next year to make a change, then there was truly no point to hire him over an actual baseball executive.

He also decided to get a 29-year-old reliever for Cease. If Wilson isn't dominant, then they missed out on getting something else in the Cease trade.

Wilson was never going to be dominant or the Padres would NEVER have included him after losing Hader. They blew a 9-4 lead today in the eighth inning.