Story on Sox trade possibilities...

Posted (edited)

Hard to imagine who will be in demand, beyond MAYBE Fedde.

Wilson, I suppose.

Kopech, if he can get on a run of any type of extended success and another team really believes they can get something positive out of him.

Pham's just not a solid enough fielder...he realistically belongs on at LF/DH on a legit playoff contender.

Maybe Mendick for a team needing someone off the bench that can play nearly every position and will be content with whatever role he's assigned.

Crochet...no business trading him until he's made it through an entire season as a starter.   Then, you have to decide whether to go for the 'ol "team friendly" extension terms or deal him.   And JR's certainly not going to authorize an extension based on just 3-4 starts this season.  He's going to need 2-3 months of repeated success before he is ultimately shut down.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

As we saw last year, people will take a chance on talented players from this team even if they aren't performing. Im not too worried about it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, T R U said:

As we saw last year, people will take a chance on talented players from this team even if they aren't performing. Im not too worried about it.

I think those are the key words. How many of this bunch, injured players apart, are truly 'talented players'? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

I think those are the key words. How many of this bunch, injured players apart, are truly 'talented players'? 

That would return something in a trade that wasn't just a dump?

Fedde, Kopech & Wilson in that order. So not much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I'd consider trading Jimenez. Horrible defender, horrible runner, and at-best slightly above average DH.

I promise you it was "considered" not only that I would bet they begged teams to take him and there was no interest.  Why would there be for his injury history and his performance plus his salary?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would say it's time to cut bait on Robert (was anti before offseason) but I don't want Getz to trade him for 15 AAAA ballplayers. 

I wasn't a big fan of that idea until this season went nuclear.  Now I don't see a realistic scenario where we are good when he is still on the roster.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wilson, I suppose.

Kopech, if he can get on a run of any type of extended success and another team really believes they can get something positive out of him.

Pham's just not a solid enough fielder...he realistically belongs on at LF/DH on a legit playoff contender.

Maybe Mendick for a team needing someone off the bench that can play nearly every position and will be content with whatever role he's assigned.

Crochet...no business trading him until he's made it through an entire season as a starter.   Then, you have to decide whether to go for the 'ol "team friendly" extension terms or deal him.   And JR's certainly not going to authorize an extension based on just 3-4 starts this season.  He's going to need 2-3 months of repeated success before he is ultimately shut down.

Not saying he will have a ton of value if he doesn’t start to pitch better…but I’d imagine there’s a decent # of teams looking at Kopech and thinking they can “fix” him if he gets away from the Sox. 

Or at least that would be my thinking. Maybe I’m jaded and overly negative, but it’s hard for me to not think some of our guys would have succeeded in a different organization. 

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wilson, I suppose.

I think Kopech could become a valuable piece of he shows extended flashes of success.

Pham - also yes. Would be worth a B-level prospect to a contender.

Crochet could be valuable to a team who thinks a) he's a shut-down reliever for 2024; and b) he can be effective as a starter long-term.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would say it's time to cut bait on Robert (was anti before offseason) but I don't want Getz to trade him for 15 AAAA ballplayers. 

but think of how many Dominic Fletchers and Zach DeLoachs we could have. Just start scouting outfielders from the PCL.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wasn't a big fan of that idea until this season went nuclear.  Now I don't see a realistic scenario where we are good when he is still on the roster.

Yeah, even as people are happy we have 3 top 50 picks, and I think we are on our way to a decent rotation (which is knock on wood), the offensive side of things is sooooo far off. And I just never understood the Getz focus on pitching prospects since I have much more confidence you could cobble a good rotation together even in FA with Jerry's rules with some luck and scouting. But we aren't getting an impact bat with Jerry. See Benintendi, Andrew. So it's gotta come from the farm/trades which will require the farm.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, even as people are happy we have 3 top 50 picks, and I think we are on our way to a decent rotation (which is knock on wood), the offensive side of things is sooooo far off. And I just never understood the Getz focus on pitching prospects since I have much more confidence you could cobble a good rotation together even in FA with Jerry's rules with some luck and scouting. But we aren't getting an impact bat with Jerry. See Benintendi, Andrew. So it's gotta come from the farm/trades which will require the farm.

If we aren't going to spend big in free agency after all of this payroll comes off, the offense is going to look like this for YEARS.  We have like 2 bats in our near future as a maybe in Ramos and Montgomery, and maybe not even them in Getz isn't going to let kids get past their struggles.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we aren't going to spend big in free agency after all of this payroll comes off, the offense is going to look like this for YEARS.  We have like 2 bats in our near future as a maybe in Ramos and Montgomery, and maybe not even them in Getz isn't going to let kids get past their struggles.

I mean, they may spend but I'm not going to be so excited for 3 bullpen and 1 DH signings for 3 for $50 mill deals as I once was.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I promise you it was "considered" not only that I would bet they begged teams to take him and there was no interest.  Why would there be for his injury history and his performance plus his salary?

i think this is fair.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It’s scary.  With Benintendi looking like he is never going to earn his contract and Vaughn looking like a potential bust, the Sox will have holes everywhere but CF.  The Sox never go after the top tier free agents so they will be signing mid-level free agents at best that could just as easily have a down season rather than a good one.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

33 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s scary.  With Benintendi looking like he is never going to earn his contract and Vaughn looking like a potential bust, the Sox will have holes everywhere but CF.  The Sox never go after the top tier free agents so they will be signing mid-level free agents at best that could just as easily have a down season rather than a good one.

Drew Thorpe is the impact bat you seek.

Wait.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

but think of how many Dominic Fletchers and Zach DeLoachs we could have. Just start scouting outfielders from the PCL.

Meanwhile...teams like MIL have these dudes like Brice Perkins or Tyler Black just magically show up and produce to keep their teams competitive.

Or the Cubs with Canario, Tauchman, Busch and Crow-Armstrong.

White Sox (still) have pretty much zero (young) quality depth capable of producing on offense.

Unless you're a huge believer in Brooks Baldwin...

• Like 1

Eloy: no value, would get like a PTBNL and a A baller.

Robert: needs to rehab value and prove he's healthy so no point in even talking about this until that (hopefully) happens by mid summer.

Moncada: no value, better player than Eloy but with contract situation, no surplus value.

Fedde: might get a legit top 100 prospect for him if you package him with Wilson or something.

Kopech: no value.

Rest of team: no real value.

We have the worst collection of MLB "talent" possibly ever assembled and the record reflects it. Maybe with Robert and Moncada healthy we'd have two more wins. We'd still be historically awful. We're not going to jumpstart any sort of rebuild with these guys.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy: no value, would get like a PTBNL and a A baller.

Robert: needs to rehab value and prove he's healthy so no point in even talking about this until that (hopefully) happens by mid summer.

Moncada: no value, better player than Eloy but with contract situation, no surplus value.

Fedde: might get a legit top 100 prospect for him if you package him with Wilson or something.

Kopech: no value.

Rest of team: no real value.

We have the worst collection of MLB "talent" possibly ever assembled and the record reflects it. Maybe with Robert and Moncada healthy we'd have two more wins. We'd still be historically awful. We're not going to jumpstart any sort of rebuild with these guys.

The disrespect shown to 5.5 WAR shortstop Nicky Lopez

• Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Meanwhile...teams like MIL have these dudes like Brice Perkins or Tyler Black just magically show up and produce to keep their teams competitive.

Or the Cubs with Canario, Tauchman, Busch and Crow-Armstrong.

White Sox (still) have pretty much zero (young) quality depth capable of producing on offense.

Unless you're a huge believer in Brooks Baldwin...

I am happily content that I have no earthly idea who any of those people are....nor do I want to.