Story on Sox trade possibilities...

Lip Man 1

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Outside of the walks, Kopech is near unhittable out of the pen.  He'll fetch something nice at the deadline if he keeps this up.  Year and a half worth of control will be valuable.

I think he's a mess. If you put him in a true high leverage situation, with a full park, very high chance he implodes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tony said:

I have to think he would have some real value on the market if he continued like this. Not just a rental, he's 31 without a ton of innings on his arm in his ML career, and would slot in nicely as a No. 3 starter for a playoff team. 

Fedde won't get as much as what we received for Cease, and we didn't get that much for Cease. So, why trade him? I wish we would have kept Cease.  He, Crochet, and Fedde would be a pretty good 1,2,3 punch.

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Fedde won't get as much as what we received for Cease, and we didn't get that much for Cease. So, why trade him? I wish we would have kept Cease.  He, Crochet, and Fedde would be a pretty good 1,2,3 punch.

Sure...and the Sox would go from 55 wins to 60. Big deal...

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is there a consolation prize for 60-to-70 wins that I am not aware of?  Would you really be more excited finishing in that range of wins?  If so, why?  A losing season is a losing season.

According to Jerry, yes.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sure...and the Sox would go from 55 wins to 60. Big deal...

Sure... and the Sox go from 55 wins to 40.  Big deal...

12 minutes ago, oldsox said:

So we keep him so we can win 55 games?  Nah, give me whatever we can get for him.  If we want him at age 33, we can bid on him as a free agent, just like we would if we keep him.  It's not like we are even going to be close to a .500 team while he is under contract anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I think he's a mess. If you put him in a true high leverage situation, with a full park, very high chance he implodes. 

Same could have been said of Reynaldo when the Sox put him in the bullpen.

46 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Again…what would that “1-2-3” punch accomplish? If the goal is to build a competitive team for multiple seasons, how are those three accomplishing that? As others have mentioned, instead of being 14-30, they would be 18-26? This team is desperate for talent in so many areas and are a long way from competing. Hanging on to veteran talent accomplishes next to nothing, aside from a handful of more wins in a season where they will be lucky to win 65 games with or without those guys. 

And if you are that enamored with Erick Fedde, then go out and sign another one, didn’t cost much to acquire in FA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 4OCS said:

Same could have been said of Reynaldo when the Sox put him in the bullpen.

I feel like he's got a different vibe though, extremely high strung. Could be just my perception of course. 

But he really had no idea where the ball was going yesterday. 

10 hours ago, Tony said:

I have to think he would have some real value on the market if he continued like this. Not just a rental, he's 31 without a ton of innings on his arm in his ML career, and would slot in nicely as a No. 3 starter for a playoff team. 

100% agree.  Again, a bad Lance Lynn returned a top 150 prospect and a very interesting relief prospect last year.  Fedde will be a significantly more attractive asset and the return will illustrate that.

• Thanks 2

Wonder what a Jo Adell would cost the Sox, don’t think the Angels would trade him now after the strong year he’s having but while the Sox should be selling, they should be looking to buy also 

15 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Wonder what a Jo Adell would cost the Sox, don’t think the Angels would trade him now after the strong year he’s having but while the Sox should be selling, they should be looking to buy also 

This offseason was the time to strike...now that he's finally SEEMED to figure things out, the Angels have pretty much zero incentive to move him at this point in time with where their organization stands.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, oldsox said:

I'm all for that, as I've said before, if you are going to be bad be historically bad...that may be the only thing short of new ownership that could cause JR to have some changes in his philosophy.

Now I'm wouldn't bet even that would cause him to change his ways but that's the only thing I can think of that MAY do so.

Look I get it. I'm old enough to remember when owners and players had the mentality that if you couldn't finish first, you'd damn well do everything you could to finish second et al.

Those days are llllloooonnnngggg gone.

This organization is so incompetent, dysfunctional and inept, with more holes than swiss cheese they literally need every swinging dick they can get who may have any type of talent. And even then with this bunch there are no guarantees but again, it may be the only chance until new ownership arrives.

If they can't even have a winning season (and this bunch wouldn't come close even by keeping the guys they traded because of a toxic clubhouse and brain-dead manager), and they have only had five, count em' five since the start of 2007, then blow it up and keep trying the rebuild route.... until an owner comes in who hires good people, stays the hell out of their way, signs the checks, sits in the owners box, keeps his mouth shut and let them do their jobs.  

Oh and who isn't phased by operating the White Sox as the big market team they should be. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm all for that, as I've said before, if you are going to be bad be historically bad...that may be the only thing short of new ownership that could cause JR to have some changes in his philosophy.

Now I'm wouldn't bet even that would cause him to change his ways but that's the only thing I can think of that MAY do so.

Look I get it. I'm old enough to remember when owners and players had the mentality that if you couldn't finish first, you'd damn well do everything you could to finish second et al.

Those days are llllloooonnnngggg gone.

This organization is so incompetent, dysfunctional and inept, with more holes than swiss cheese they literally need every swinging dick they can get who may have any type of talent. And even then with this bunch there are no guarantees but again, it may be the only chance until new ownership arrives.

If they can't even have a winning season (and this bunch wouldn't come close even by keeping the guys they traded because of a toxic clubhouse and brain-dead manager), and they have only had five, count em' five since the start of 2007, then blow it up and keep trying the rebuild route.... until an owner comes in who hires good people, stays the hell out of their way, signs the checks, sits in the owners box, keeps his mouth shut and let them do their jobs.  

Oh and who isn't phased by operating the White Sox as the big market team they should be. 

The weird thing about people set in their ways - calamity only seems to steel their resolve. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You can cross Kopech off the A list, but now is as good a time as any to send him off on one of those change of scenery trades.

They’ll still get quite a bit for Kopech 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech isn’t performing bad and is 4th is Stuff+ amongst relievers.  He will be in demand at the trade deadline.

Does that get anything near a Top 80-120 MiLB list?

Maybe...

Hopefully better than Fletcher/DeLoach/Colas.

He certainly has the stuff out of the pen, but the head's pretty close to Bummer in terms of dealing with adversity.

Edited by caulfield12

Jim Bowden put out a fluff trade candidates column for The Athletic. Besides breaking no more news than somebody who could just read Twitter, he's crafted this gem:

Catchers: A contending team looking for a veteran backup catcher with a winning track record of calling pitches could make a move for Martín Maldonado, 37, though he’s in significant decline and provides zero offense. But a team seeking a mentor for a younger catcher might take a flier on him.

• Haha 1