Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
I'd rather trade Q than trade Juan. We don't have a true lead off hitter without Juan and shedding Carlos salary provides us more payroll flexibility now and in the offseason.

We don't have a true lead off hitter with Juan.

I think this deal will get done soon. This would be a brilliant move by KW. It would give us pleanty of flexibility to make other moves and it gives us a pretty damn good young arm to plug in our rotation for many years. It would also allow us to FINALLY bring up Viciedo! It seems like the "Tank" has done a lot of work hitting the off speed stuff down in the farm.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
I think this deal will get done soon. This would be a brilliant move by KW. It would give us pleanty of flexibility to make other moves and it gives us a pretty damn good young arm to plug in our rotation for many years. It would also allow us to FINALLY bring up Viciedo! It seems like the "Tank" has done a lot of work hitting the off speed stuff down in the farm.

Which is why it probably won't get done.

Because teams around baseball have watched trades like E-Jackson for Hudson blow up over and over again, from a financial standpoint.

KW traded Hudson away when there was absolutely ZERO starting pitching depth that would be ready to contribute within a 2 year time span. Typical go-for-broke move out of him. Unfortunately, we're now a lot closer to busted than taking the entire pot because of that tendency for recklessness.

At least the Braves can make the argument they have 3 youngsters who arguably can be even better in the pipeline.

Be a real interesting trade if it happened. Beachy is obviously unproven, but I've been impressed in the games I've watched. From Atlanta's side, this would be an amazing example of selling high on someone who wasn't considered a huge prospect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
Be a real interesting trade if it happened. Beachy is obviously unproven, but I've been impressed in the games I've watched. From Atlanta's side, this would be an amazing example of selling high on someone who wasn't considered a huge prospect.

His peripheral stats are really good. No fluke here to this point. If not for the time spent on the DL, he'd be right there with his teammate as the favorites for the ROY.

I could see this causing a massive sequence of events.

Quentin gets traded for Beachy.

Spot needs to be cleared for Dayan, so E-Jax gets traded. Beachy plugged into rotation.

In the offseason, Danks and Floyd get traded to shore up on prospects. Buehrle resigned (I just can't see any way this doesn't happen, just like Paulie).

2011 Rotation of:

Humber-Buehrle-Peavy-Sale-Beachy.

If this offer is true, I think you have make the deal. I actually don't think the drop from Quentin to Viciedo will be as big as some people think and I believe Viciedo would offer more consistency, which can help offset some of our offensive struggles when we're in one of our notorious team-wide slumps.

More importantly, trading for Beachy allows you to move at least one starter and possibly two. One way or the other, you should be able to get a rental upgrade at LF or 3B for Jackson. I think that upgrade would more than compensate any downgrade in RF, so your offensive overall should improve a little. Swapping Jackson for Beachy would probably be a wash for this year, but offers obvious long-term benefits.

The flexibility to trade a second starter is also interesting, although the only two with signicant value (excluding Humber, because god only knows how other GMs view him) are Danks and Floyd. I could see KW getting real creative and moving Floyd for a package that helps us both now and in the future.

Having said all this, a Beachy-Quentin deal is risky but could pay serious dividends. I'm definitely willing to roll the dice on this deal if it were actually offered.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
If this offer is true, I think you have make the deal. I actually don't think the drop from Quentin to Viciedo will be as big as some people think and I believe Viciedo would offer more consistency, which can help offset some of our offensive struggles when we're in one of our notorious team-wide slumps.

More importantly, trading for Beachy allows you to move at least one starter and possibly two. One way or the other, you should be able to get a rental upgrade at LF or 3B for Jackson. I think that upgrade would more than compensate any downgrade in RF, so your offensive overall should improve a little. Swapping Jackson for Beachy would probably be a wash for this year, but offers obvious long-term benefits.

The flexibility to trade a second starter is also interesting, although the only two with signicant value (excluding Humber, because god only knows how other GMs view him) are Danks and Floyd. I could see KW getting real creative and moving Floyd for a package that helps us both now and in the future.

Having said all this, a Beachy-Quentin deal is risky but could pay serious dividends. I'm definitely willing to roll the dice on this deal if it were actually offered.

great point...i like the trading two pitchers view after a deal like this.

My apologies if this was already posted.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/201...-the-pale-hose/

Would he help? Maybe. Probably. But not every transplanted bat — and the Braves have tried a few these past couple of years — has the desired impact. (Derrek Lee didn’t. Uggla hasn’t.)

Braves fans desirous of any sort of hitting upgrade would argue that in such a trade the Braves would lose only Beachy, who’s their fifth-best starter. The part that would make me leery is that Beachy’s stuff has been, to use the buzzword, electric. He still throws too many pitches, meaning his command isn’t all it should be, but he’s striking out guys, as Cafardo noted, by the boatload.

Me, I’d hate to give up a 24-year-old with that sort of arm for a one-year rental who’s not Albert Pujols. But maybe that’s just me, and I always think starting pitching should be hoarded. So I’m asking you, dear readers: Were you the Braves, would you do a Beachy-for-Quentin trade? I’ll hang up and listen to your answers.

Found something else, another ATL name MIGHT have surfaced.

Michael Minor.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/...raves-pitching/

It is hard to imagine the Braves signing off on a Beachy-for-Quentin swap, but Mike Minor for Quentin could work for both sides. Minor, the seventh overall selection in the 2009 draft, wouldn’t crack the White Sox rotation right away, but he would be a fine choice to step in next year with both Mark Buehrle and Edwin Jackson potentially departing through free agency.

Just don't know what to think of this...it's on Chisox.com!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

I mean, JUST SHOUT OUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO FRONT OFFICE!!

Making a deal with the Braves would make some sense for the White Sox. Dayan Viciedo is ready and waiting at Triple-A Charlotte, hitting his 16th home run on Thursday night and raising his RBI total to 62. The White Sox could potentially move a piece such as right fielder Carlos Quentin, who becomes a free agent after the 2012 season and would give the pitching-rich Braves a boost on offense, and the White Sox could get young, Major League-ready pitching in return.

But it was Williams who told MLB.com in early June that Viciedo and Quentin don't have to be an either/or proposition and ultimately could play in the same outfield. So, there's a strong possibility the White Sox remain as they are when July 31 passes.

"I never get in involved with deals," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I don't have any money or the power. I just manage what I got. If any deal is being made, Kenny will tell us what he has in mind. We have a pretty good ballclub. We just aren't playing good."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
I could see this causing a massive sequence of events.

Quentin gets traded for Beachy.

Spot needs to be cleared for Dayan, so E-Jax gets traded. Beachy plugged into rotation.

In the offseason, Danks and Floyd get traded to shore up on prospects. Buehrle resigned (I just can't see any way this doesn't happen, just like Paulie).

2011 Rotation of:

Humber-Buehrle-Peavy-Sale-Beachy.

If they're going to trade Danks and Floyd, they should do it now. I firmly believe that Danks could bring back a great prospect. Jesus Montero anyone? Combining Floyd with Quentin a deal could bring back a lot too.

If they can get Montero for Danks, do it now. If not, I'd rather keep Danks and give him an extension. Like everyone has said, the rotation will be a pitcher short if they deal Floyd, Danks, and Jackson, and then Buehrle leaves for FA. Combine that with the fact that Peavy will make 2+ DL trips, it's not looking good.

I have a hypothetical question: would you guys trade Beckham, Sale, Ramirez, and Quentin for Starlin Castro and Josh Vitters?

Just for kicks and giggles....found this on Mike Minor.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...p?content=minor

Summary: Minor isn't going to wow you, like his former Vandy teammate David Price did, but he's a solid left-handed starting candidate at the next level. He's got a good feel for pitching with at least three pitches that, when he's locked in, he can throw for strikes. He seemed to be getting sharper as the season wore on and was positioning himself to be one of those college lefties who knows how to pitch who always go well on Draft day.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
If they're going to trade Danks and Floyd, they should do it now. I firmly believe that Danks could bring back a great prospect. Jesus Montero anyone? Combining Floyd with Quentin a deal could bring back a lot too.

If they can get Montero for Danks, do it now. If not, I'd rather keep Danks and give him an extension. Like everyone has said, the rotation will be a pitcher short if they deal Floyd, Danks, and Jackson, and then Buehrle leaves for FA. Combine that with the fact that Peavy will make 2+ DL trips, it's not looking good.

I have a hypothetical question: would you guys trade Beckham, Sale, Ramirez, and Quentin for Starlin Castro and Josh Vitters?

Isn't Vitters almost a non-prospect at this point? I haven't heard of him doing anything of note in awhile. Regardless, there's not a single person that does that trade if they're in Kenny's shoes. Ramirez and Castro are fairly equivalent as is (you give Castro the edge for age and for being cost controlled, but Ramirez has more power and is a better fielder for the time being), so theoretically it's Beckham, Sale, and Quentin for a prospect (that looks so far to be a bust)? No thank you.

EDIT: Suppose I'm selling Vitters a bit short as he's still only 21, but he's far from a sure thing.

Edited by Fotop