Most ridiculous man-crush

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Haven't followed the farm system long enough to have a lot, but there are 3.

Poreda (was sad to see him go for Peavy)

Gordon (I almost bought a Beckham Knights road jersey they sold at the Cell a week before his call up)

Viciedo (bought his shirt in 1 AB last year)

Viciedo certainly hasn't flopped. And I think the jury is still out on Beckham, though if his 2012 looks like his 2011, it might be time to call it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really say anybody, as I've never been a huge follower of the minor leagues (although I still want a good one) or a fan of many individual players. I guess the closest would be Anderson.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
If Daryl Boston's catch was in NY it would start every high-lite show ever.

Link?

Beckham--watching him in the College WS, I was rooting for the Sox to get him. And then when they got him, I thought he'd be better than this. Never going to let that happen again.

I also remember thinking guys like Corwin Malone and Aaron Myette would be something based on good minor league stats. I don't fall for that anymore.

Can't go with one. For me it's Borchard, Rauch and Wright. I was about 18 when I first discovered Baseball America. And the White Sox's system was the talk of the magazine (much like the Royals of this past year) at that time. I got caught up in the Borchard=McGwire, Rauch=Randy Johnson hype just like everybody else. How could you not? Danny Wright was a guy that when he was on, he was dominant. I remember a few starts to close the 2002 season in which he looked every bit as good as the scouting reports indicated. Which, of course, I'm thinking he's 'figured' it out. Yeah, didn't go so well after that.

Although I'm very fond of David Cook as you all know, mine is Micah Schnurstein. Not only did we acknowledge each other with fist pumps after Barons victories, but he personally gave me one of his fielding gloves. A high quality Akadema infielder's glove with his name stitched on it. That's no run of the mill souvenir.

I recall back in the day the local papers would report minor league stats and I would follow numbers and last names. I recall when Thigpen and Menendez were two hot prospects. No idea what happened to Menendez but Thiggy had some decent seasons on the bump. I also remember tracking a third baseman named Thomas who obviously worked out better than expected but at first base.

To answer the question, though, my dad never really liked Carlton Fisk for some reason. He thought Fisk was an overrated jerk. He got me all excited about a young catcher of the future, Joel Skinner. Skinner hung around the bigs for several seasons but finished his playng career with 17 home runs, 136 RBI, a .228 batting average and .269 OBP.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Damaso Marte.

I'm sure you're being sarcastic. But I'll always have a soft spot for Marte. His last year with the Sox was pretty unforgettable. But in '02 and '03, you have to really struggle to come up with a list of 5 non-closer RPs who were better. Octavio Dotel and Scott Shields come to mind. Slim pickings after that.

Edited by Jordan4life

Marte wasn't a bust, Tony Menendez certainly was. (Looking at it now....even though Guerrier didn't make an impact as a starter and certainly did nothing for the Pirates, you could make a legit argument Matt's had a better overall career, even though Marte at his best was close to unhittable/dominating).

Jimmy Hurst, going back to one of our many busted OF prospects to go along with KW.

Jeff Abbott...put up some awesome hitting lines in the minors, albeit with limited power.

Snopek/Norton

Matt Merullo...well, maybe he maxed out his talent, all things considered

McKay Christensen...another name from the past

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Viciedo certainly hasn't flopped. And I think the jury is still out on Beckham, though if his 2012 looks like his 2011, it might be time to call it.

Yeah, but bought a Dayn shirt when he was a defensive liability and couldn't walk and Gordon wasn't in the majors and I was going to buy his jersey.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
Marte wasn't a bust, Tony Menendez certainly was. (Looking at it now....even though Guerrier didn't make an impact as a starter and certainly did nothing for the Pirates, you could make a legit argument Matt's had a better overall career, even though Marte at his best was close to unhittable/dominating).

Jimmy Hurst, going back to one of our many busted OF prospects to go along with KW.

Jeff Abbott...put up some awesome hitting lines in the minors, albeit with limited power.

Snopek/Norton

Matt Merullo...well, maybe he maxed out his talent, all things considered

McKay Christensen...another name from the past

Didn't McKay Christensen basically halt his own progress by doing volunteer work abroad due to being a Mormon?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Didn't McKay Christensen basically halt his own progress by doing volunteer work abroad due to being a Mormon?

Yeah, but I think that affected his career with the Angels...by the time he came here, he was more of a "suspect" than prospect, although anyone drafted that high gets a lot of chances to prove himself.