2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
You're really Balta-ing this conversation. I didn't say that someone would write an entire article about it, but if there are rumors out there that this happened, you don't think a single line in one article by the dozens of baseball writers in Chicago or a twitter post or anything would appear?

There needs to be more graphs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Balta-ing?

Was that word/phrase recently added to the SoxTalk lexicon?

Can I second "Lawrence, Kansas-ing" the conversation?

You can make it even shorter and call it "Lawrence Polling" or "Lawrence Polled".

Lawrence Polling shows the Quentin to Padres deal to be a head-scratcher.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
You can make it even shorter and call it "Lawrence Polling" or "Lawrence Polled".

Maybe Lawrence Market Survey? Lawrence Surveying...? Lawrence Market Analysis/Customer Feedback?

Polling almost makes it sounds like the name of some cricket player from Australia or New Zealand.

What's that thing they do on CNN right after the primary and presidential debates...? There's a specific term for it that eludes me at the moment.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Can I second "Lawrence, Kansas-ing" the conversation?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
Maybe Lawrence Market Survey? Lawrence Surveying...? Lawrence Market Analysis/Customer Feedback?

Polling almost makes it sounds like the name of some cricket player from Australia or New Zealand.

What's that thing they do on CNN right after the primary and presidential debates...? There's a specific term for it that eludes me at the moment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
instapoll

Lo-Po?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)

Exit Poll?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Exit Poll?

What would be really fun is to get a Facebook group of random sports fans in the Kansas City and Lawrence areas together and ask their opinions of random White Sox moves and see what, if any, reaction they have to them.

Not just about Ozzie Guillen, but other more significant moves that would register on the sports radar, like Ventura being named manager.

Thankfully, the Cardinals copied our idea (after winning a World Series) so the heat won't be as extreme on Williams as it will be on Mozeliak if it fails to work out.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
Who has done a better job this offseason, Cubs or Sox? Hard to compare apples and oranges, but seems like Epstein has gotten some good prospects not to mention Rizzo.

Sox only because the Cubs are the Cubs.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Who has done a better job this offseason, Cubs or Sox? Hard to compare apples and oranges, but seems like Epstein has gotten some good prospects not to mention Rizzo.

If the roles were completely reversed, everyone would be saying what a stellar job Theo had done by keeping Danks around while still stocking up on pitching prospects.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)

I would probably say the Sox, but the Cubs havent really traded anything of signicant value. Marshall was their best piece, and I would value Santos and Quentin above him. However despite that, they still brought back the person of most value (Rizzo). So I don't know, that's a tough call.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
I would probably say the Sox, but the Cubs havent really traded anything of signicant value. Marshall was their best piece, and I would value Santos and Quentin above him. However despite that, they still brought back the person of most value (Rizzo). So I don't know, that's a tough call.

Back to Moneyball.

DH/1B/corner OFer's are much more easily replaced than C, SS/2B, CF.

If you want to value Rizzo (still) as one of the best prospects in baseball, then the combination of Castro and Molina trumps that.

We got rid of the Teahen mistake, and got a potentially very useful piece back in Zach Stewart. You never know, but there's a distinct possibility that Stewart (back in a relief role), Hernandez and Addison Reed might more than end up compensating for the losses of Santos and Frasor.

We (along with the rest of baseball since june/july '11) knew that Carlos Quentin had to go, too.

You can complain all u want about losing Jackson and Buehrle, but there's also now the possibility of getting a pretty good haul back for Floyd and buying a "place holder" in the 5th spot to get us through 2012 while Molina, Castro, Axelrod, Petricka and Santiago all pitch their way onto the Top 5 prospect lists for the Sox.

Sale at his upside trumps anything Buehrle could have done at 1/15th the cost.

Viciedo is much cheaper than Quentin.

We took someone we spent $25-50,000 on in Sergio Santos and leveraged him into a #2/3 starter for six years under cost control. If that move works out, and Castro/Stewart make it as the 4th/5th starter/s, then we've made up a lot of the ground we lost with Hudson and Gonzalez. There's no guarantees Gio could have succeeded at USCF.

Plus we acquired Humber for absolutely nothing and we might have a #3/4 guy for the next 4 seasons.

KW >>> Epstein/Hoyer

If KW traded Beckham now or made a Zambrano move with Rios/Dunn and gave up 85% of their contracts, everyone would be screaming bloody murder...waiting until Dunn (especially) and Rios made the All-Star team in 2012 to say what a stupid move it was to sell both those guys for pennies on the dollar.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
Back to Moneyball.

If you want to value Rizzo (still) as one of the best prospects in baseball, then the combination of Castro and Molina trumps that.

We got rid of the Teahen mistake, and got a potentially very useful piece back in Zach Stewart. You never know, but there's a distinct possibility that Stewart (back in a relief role), Hernandez and Addison Reed might more than end up compensating for the losses of Santos and Frasor.

We knew that Carlos Quentin had go to.

You can complain all u want about losing Jackson and Buehrle, but there's also now the possibility of getting a pretty good haul back for Floyd and buying a "place holder" in the 5th spot to get us through 2012 while Molina, Castro, Axelrod, Petricka and Santiago all pitch their way onto the Top 5 prospect lists for the Sox.

We took someone we spent $25-50,000 on in Sergio Santos and leveraged him into a #2/3 starter for six years under cost control. If that move works out, and Castro/Stewart make it as the 4th/5th starter/s, then we've made up a lot of the ground we lost with Hudson and Gonzalez. There's no guarantees Gio could have succeeded at USCF.

Plus we acquired Humber for absolutely nothing and we might have a #3/4 guy for the next 4 seasons.

KW >>> Epstein/Hoyer

If KW traded Beckham now or made a Zambrano move with Rios/Dunn and gave up 85% of their contracts, everyone would be screaming bloody murder...waiting until Dunn (especially) and Rios made the All-Star team in 2012 to say what a stupid move it was to sell both those guys for pennies on the dollar.

Well said

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Back to Moneyball.

We knew that Carlos Quentin had go to.

KW >>> Epstein/Hoyer

Couldn't agree more with this. It'll be interesting to see how all these arms pan out. I'm actually excited for some youth insurgence on this team.

Epstein has the huge financial advantage to eat contracts like Zambrano's and bring in more big name FA's...plus the possibility of revenues generated from a new/retrofitted stadium, but, all things considered, the balance of moves should end up in KW's favor...

I truly believe with Ozzie gone, with Hahn still there, Paddy and Ventura, the FO will start to function much more smoothly and efficiently, working together as a team instead of at loggerheads.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:42 AM)
Epstein has the huge financial advantage to eat contracts like Zambrano's and bring in more big name FA's...plus the possibility of revenues generated from a new/retrofitted stadium, but, all things considered, the balance of moves should end up in KW's favor...

Epstein really doesn't have anything resembling the financial advantage he had in Boston. In Boston, it took $100 million worth of bad contracts to really damage the roster, on the North side he can be beaten by $20 million in bad contracts. And "new revenues" are going to be a long time coming at best.

The advantage they might have is that they're still going to sell 35k seats even if they win 65 games next year. So they can afford to eat Zambrano's contract, but they can't build upon that by signing a big name replacement or getting someone to give him a big name replacement for free like he could in Boston.

I like every move Hoyer/Epstein have made this winter. I don't think you can compare their moves and KW's moves apples to apples.

FWIW, I like the thought process behind all of KW's moves too, which is really all I can ask for, since I don't know how good they think the prospects are.