White Sox trade rumor

SOXOBAMA

I believe the Yanks would love to have Thornton. I don't believe the Sox would trade him for Romine who is nothing special at all and probably not even as good as Tyler Flowers.

It makes no sense. Firstly, the Sox can do much better. Secondly, they would wait to move Matt until the FA's are signed and the market for him intensifies like in January.

This wouldn't be an offer that blows them away to pull the trigger on in mid-Nov. It's ridiculous.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
I believe the Yanks would love to have Thornton. I don't believe the Sox would trade him for Romine who is nothing special at all and probably not even as good as Tyler Flowers.

It makes no sense. Firstly, the Sox can do much better. Secondly, they would wait to move Matt until the FA's are signed and the market for him intensifies like in January.

This wouldn't be an offer that blows them away to pull the trigger on in mid-Nov. It's ridiculous.

A lot of teams would love to have Thornton. Just not as his salary. If you look at the Yankees and all their deficiencies, a 35-year old lefty that would be relegated to loogy status at a $5.5 million a year clip is not really all that attractive. I know KW likes to act tough and pretend that he has all these GMs calling him about his players. To me, until proven otherwise, it's all talk. KW died to me when he traded Gonzalez a second time (forget about the Hudson debacle). A shrewd GM would've been able to somehow find a way to snag Swisher without dealing an elite prospect a second time after promising that said prospect was going nowhere this time around.

Edit: Let me add that I know it's not KW that perpetrated this supposed rumor. I was speaking more in general terms. KW opens up his mouth and claims that he has all these trade partners. Really? Thornton? Already been covered. Danks? A year away from FA and whatever hypothetical team(s) want him better be prepared to pay him a premium price after '12, otherwise you're not getting much back outside of maybe an A-ball prospect with upside. CQ? Injury-prone as any position player not named Nick Johnson (is he still playing?). Also a year away from FA. Floyd? Definitely an asset. But nobody is emptying out their farm for him. Sorry, KW. You're not fooling anybody. You suck at your job.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
A lot of teams would love to have Thornton. Just not as his salary. If you look at the Yankees and all their deficiencies, a 35-year old lefty that would be relegated to loogy status at a $5.5 million a year clip is not really all that attractive. I know KW likes to act tough and pretend that he has all these GMs calling him about his players. To me, until proven otherwise, it's all talk. KW died to me when he traded Gonzalez a second time (forget about the Hudson debacle). A shrewd GM would've been able to somehow find a way to snag Swisher without dealing an elite prospect a second time after promising that said prospect was going nowhere this time around.

Edit: Let me add that I know it's not KW that perpetrated this supposed rumor. I was speaking more in general terms. KW opens up his mouth and claims that he has all these trade partners. Really? Thornton? Already been covered. Danks? A year away from FA and whatever hypothetical team(s) want him better be prepared to pay him a premium price after '12, otherwise you're not getting much back outside of maybe an A-ball prospect with upside. CQ? Injury-prone as any position player not named Nick Johnson (is he still playing?). Also a year away from FA. Floyd? Definitely an asset. But nobody is emptying out their farm for him. Sorry, KW. You're not fooling anybody. You suck at your job.

BS

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
It's not that Thornton had a bad year last year, it just looks that way because Juan Pierre can't catch the ball.

But you're not going to get a huge return for him since he has a quite expensive contract.

That is a crock.

Juan what, dropped 2 balls on him? Give me a break.

Thornton was unreliable at best last year.

Romine looks incredibly overrated to me. His minor league numbers have been average througout his entire career and he hasn't shown much if any improvement in the recent years. That scouting report didn't endorse his defensive/game calling skills either. He does have age on his side though. IMO, he's a decent catching prospect, but a top 100 prospect seems like quite a stretch. Seems like another beneficary of the NY hype machine.

If this was the best we could get for Thornton, I'd be ok with him, but I really don't seem him as an upgrade over Flowers. Plus he's right-handed, so it's not like he'd make a great platoon pairing. I'd rather seek a prospect that can fill a different area of need if this is quality level we can expect. Might as well give Flowers a legit chance if we are truly rebuilding.

Thornton was horrid as a closer. When he was returned to his familiar role he responded. His ERA was 2.45 after a terrible April. Its amazing how many people think he basically sucks. He's still among the premier set up men in baseball, and those guys are very valuable the way the game is managed today.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Thornton was horrid as a closer. When he was returned to his familiar role he responded. His ERA was 2.45 after a terrible April. Its amazing how many people think he basically sucks. He's still among the premier set up men in baseball, and those guys are very valuable the way the game is managed today.

He was horrible as a closer, but no small part of that was because Juan Pierre can't catch the ball. He was 2nd on the team in unearned runs given up this year because his defense screwed him.

He's definitely valuable, but I think that with this contract, this is just about his value.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Now lets all wait and see how long it takes Greg to realize he's incorrect...

Cmon. Anybody with eyes could see Thornton was not the Matt of old last year and not because Pierre stunk a couple games in April.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Cmon. Anybody with eyes could see Thornton was not the Matt of old last year and not because Pierre stunk a couple games in April.

Matt's been a different guy since his elbow soreness or whatever it was, in 2010 before the ASG...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)

Have you actually looked at what premier relief arms have been getting recently? His salary is really not that prohibitive. If a team has a need, and isn't the Pirates, his salary is not going to detract from his value all that much.

Here's a list of the Yankees top prospects...

http://topprospectalert.com/2011/11/17/201...spect-rankings/

This guy is a bit too heavy on just looking at stats though. I actually go and see them play at SI, Scranton and Trenton. Thats SS, Triple-A and Double-A a lot so I know a bit more. My own list would be

If you want to get a better look at who you should target...

Montero - I'm sure you know about him.

Banuelos - lefty, he's short and throws about mid 90s so he gets Johan comps a lot and he's small and basically a bulldog on the mound with really good control so he gets Maddux comps a lot. I would say both of those are best case but either way Banuelos is going to be at least a very good no 2 starter, could very well be a no 1. Short of an Ace though.

Betances - Manny is short where Dellin is tall. Dellin throws fast and hard, but his control isn't too good, although it's gotten better as he decreaed his velo this year and started to pitch and not throw, when he throws he's like Daniel Cabrera, when he pitches... he's unhittable. I think he's like AJ Burnett, he could be very good or very bad.

Sanchez - Basically like an upgraded Montero. He's got better power, better hitting abilities, better defense(which he still doesn't have great defense) and faster but still not fast haha.

Williams - You could be looking at a top 20 prospect next year. This guy is a pure athlete, something the Yankees haven't had in their system for at least ten years. Very exciting player.

Santana - If it wasn't for a brutal ankle injury, Santana would probably be a top 100 prospect right now. He's a true five tool player where that term gets thrown around a lot. This guy has a ton of potentional, just hope he can get back healthy.

You're not going to get Banuelos or Montero for Thorton or Danks so don't even begin to think that. Williams and Santana are far away, in SS and GCL. So... yeah I seriously doubt Kenny Williams will center a deal around one of those and Mark Newman and Cashman are both extremely high on those two guys.

Phelps, Warren and DJ Mitchell are three guys who are knocking on the door in Triple-A, they are nice arms and I think if a deal went down at least one of those three will be in the deal. Phelps just finished the year strong in AFL. Warren my favorite of the three could be a no 3 or 4 starter. Mitchell I would love to see as the long man out of our pen. I'm willing to bet my balls that Cashman wouldn't go after Thornton if the price was more than Romine. A guy I could see you going after is the Mexican Babe Ruth, Jorge Vazquez as a third or foruth piece in a deal.

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Romine is hardly a top tier catching prospect. He's more of an average regular if things pan out. Still somewhat valuable though.

I know you agree with me on this as far as their system, but IMO, he is the most overrated prospect in the Yankees system, and top 5 in the minors. I don't mind the deal however since the sox are rebuilding.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
I didn't say Matt was the antichrist but he was not Matt-like last year IMO.

I mean do you think Thornton was money last year?

They put the stats up for you to see. Looks like Money to me

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
They put the stats up for you to see. Looks like Money to me

Conveniently when they were out of it. Thornton's a valuable set up man, but everyone thinks he's better than his results show him to be because of his 95-97 mph fastball.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Conveniently when they were out of it. Thornton's a valuable set up man, but everyone thinks he's better than his results show him to be because of his 95-97 mph fastball.

He had a bad April...granted, they might have been out of it by April :) but it's not like he sucked through July and then figured it out in August and September...

He's put up several solid seasons now...the time has passed for him to be getting by just on the eye test.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)

Meet Matt Thornton.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thornma01.shtml