John Danks diagnosed with a grade 1 scapula tear

Baron

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Yeah, I think Castro will be one of the next guys we see. Leesman...I don't know. I wonder how many lefties we're willing to have in the rotation? lol. Castro (supposedly) has a very high ceiling though so I hope he really produces in AAA.

I think Leesman ultimately ends up in the bullpen. Yet another reason why I don't get how Ohman is still on this roster. If I needed a lefty in the pen, I'd easily take Leesman or Septimo over Ohman right now. Plus there are another three or four right-handed relievers at AAA I'd prefer. Heath is having a hell of a season and Omogrosso sounds like he's been dominating the past couple months. I'd prefer taking the best overall reliever than keep the LOOGY that continues to face too many right-handed batters.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer taking the best overall reliever than keep the LOOGY that continues to face too many right-handed batters.

It's not Ohman's fault he faces too many right-handed batters. It's not his job to signal to the bullpen when a righty comes up. This is one of Ozzie's faults that seems to have carried over to Robin. Ohman has a 0.77 WHIP vs. lefties.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
It's not Ohman's fault he faces too many right-handed batters. It's not his job to signal to the bullpen when a righty comes up. This is one of Ozzie's faults that seems to have carried over to Robin. Ohman has a 0.77 WHIP vs. lefties.

The point is that he sucks at his current role and that role isn't changing. Maybe our pitching staff just isn't deep enough to carry a LOOGY and only use him in the appropriate situations. If that's the case, get someone else up here who can actually help our team.

Maybe our pitching staff just isn't deep enough to carry a LOOGY and only use him in the appropriate situations.

I don't believe that, but if that's actually true, then bringing up a lefty to replace him doesn't solve that problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from MGon on JDanks (Basically says he will continue rehab with no definite return date). PTATC, can you comment on this?

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1444642.story

Article: NEW YORK -- Chicago White Sox left-hander John Danks left the team Sunday to return to Chicago for tests on his left shoulder.

Danks, who hasn't pitched since June 14 in a minor league rehabilitation assignment for Triple-A Charlotte, underwent a diagnostic ultrasound on his shoulder. Danks didn't not undergo an MRI since he isn't close yet to resuming his rehab assignment.

The Sox stressed that Danks, 27, should be able to resume his rehab Tuesday. Danks hasn't pitched in a major league game since May 19 against the Cubs at Wrigley Field and there has been no projected date for his return.

"I think we’re fortunate to be able to think that way with what Q (Jose Quintana) has done," manager Robin Ventura said. "We want to get him healthy first, and it keeps lingering and lingering, and you can’t look at him as we’re counting on him on this date. Every time we’ve done that, it’s been pushed back. We just want to get him healthy and Q just stays in that spot.”

Reliever Jesse Crain, who has tightness in the back of his right shoulder, had yet to throw Sunday, and a stint on the DL still seems possible.

“I think it’s more he’s gotten a pretty good prognosis of what it is," Ventura said. "It’s giving him some time (to rest), and hopefully that will do the trick. I don’t foresee a DL stint for him.”

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Quick update from MGon on JDanks (Basically says he will continue rehab with no definite return date). PTATC, can you comment on this?

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1444642.story

Article: NEW YORK -- Chicago White Sox left-hander John Danks left the team Sunday to return to Chicago for tests on his left shoulder.

Danks, who hasn't pitched since June 14 in a minor league rehabilitation assignment for Triple-A Charlotte, underwent a diagnostic ultrasound on his shoulder. Danks didn't not undergo an MRI since he isn't close yet to resuming his rehab assignment.

The Sox stressed that Danks, 27, should be able to resume his rehab Tuesday. Danks hasn't pitched in a major league game since May 19 against the Cubs at Wrigley Field and there has been no projected date for his return.

"I think we’re fortunate to be able to think that way with what Q (Jose Quintana) has done," manager Robin Ventura said. "We want to get him healthy first, and it keeps lingering and lingering, and you can’t look at him as we’re counting on him on this date. Every time we’ve done that, it’s been pushed back. We just want to get him healthy and Q just stays in that spot.”

Reliever Jesse Crain, who has tightness in the back of his right shoulder, had yet to throw Sunday, and a stint on the DL still seems possible.

“I think it’s more he’s gotten a pretty good prognosis of what it is," Ventura said. "It’s giving him some time (to rest), and hopefully that will do the trick. I don’t foresee a DL stint for him.”

This is an interesting development. Diagnostic ultrasounds can be used for tendon imaging but are typically used for muscle belly imaging. My guess is that he is still having some discomfort and they are trying other things to determine the cause. The good news is that if they are looking at the active muscle tissue, they do not think it is a passive stability structure like the capsule or labrum. These need surgery to fix. If they think he is ready to begin on Tuesday then they must be pretty sure it's just muscular which just requires rest then strengthening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 07:39 AM)
Glad to hear Danks might be close, though it makes me nervous that he is still having discomfort. I hope they aren't missing something.

Don't want the 75 million dollar 2-pitch pitcher coming back less than 100%. He needs to be healthy for the 2 pitches to work effectively, specifically spotting the 92mph fastball on the outer half, never daring to throw it inside to good hitters or really any hitters for that matter.. I need him healthy enough to walk 3-6 batters per game consistently too.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
Don't want the 75 million dollar 2-pitch pitcher coming back less than 100%. He needs to be healthy for the 2 pitches to work effectively, specifically spotting the 92mph fastball on the outer half, never daring to throw it inside to good hitters or really any hitters for that matter.. I need him healthy enough to walk 3-6 batters per game consistently too.

JD's biggest fan???

QUOTE (Son Goshin @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
I'm honestly not too worried about our rotation right now. QUintana, Peavy, and Sale have been awesome. Floyd needs to pick it back up yes, but we know he's capable. I have faith in Axelrod as well to get the job done. I have some more thoughts on the rotation here: http://midwaymadness.com/2012/06/humber-to...on-two-rookies/

This may be the most random post I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)

$65 million, but what another $10 million when it's just pocket change or walking around money for the Sox?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Danks had a cortisone shot yesterday.

Still no word on a possible return or prognosis.

This proves that he is still having discomfort and they aren't sure where it's coming from. Cortisone injections are done in bursa and other passive tissues. They are not used for tendons and muscles. They are looking at something other than the subscapularis tendon that was reported earlier.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
This proves that he is still having discomfort and they aren't sure where it's coming from. Cortisone injections are done in bursa and other passive tissues. They are not used for tendons and muscles. They are looking at something other than the subscapularis tendon that was reported earlier.

This is less than encouraging, but info much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
"John is not feeling so hot, his shoulder is not feeling so good, we've made minimal progress with it and from my standpoint -- I don’t mean this fully, I love John -- he’s not on my radar right now," Cooper told "The Mully and Hanley Show" on WSCR-AM 670. "I mean, we've got 12 other guys that force your attention and until John gets close and John gets going, he’s kind of out of my mind and I don’t mean that in a bad way."

Danks last pitched June 14 in a minor league rehabilitation assignment for Triple-A Charlotte, and Cooper said any potential comeback is at least two or three weeks away.

"We would love to have John back, but that doesn’t look like that’s happening in the next two-to-three weeks at least, so we got our hands full and we got a job ahead of us with what we've got going on," Cooper said.

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Ugh. Of course, because it is the year after he signed a five year deal and we are in a pennant race.

Yep, at this point, I don't think Danks can be counted on for 2012. Like you mentioned, really bad luck for the Sox as not many people saw this injury-plagued season coming. I just hope he can be ready for 2013.