Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

Myers has a 5.64 career ERA vs. the AL. I wish I could answer how he will help the White Sox, but I can't. I want the Sox to win. Any praise this guy gets for his performance even if he is perfect the rest of the season will not come from me, but I'm really not expecting he'll be any better than Nate Jones with a whole lot more baggage.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
Read this. Boston Globe. She was quoted as saying he hit her twice. A witness reported her saying, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore". The man is scum.

Phillies pitcher Brett Myers arraigned for allegedly beating his wife

June 23, 06 01:17 PM

By Suzanne Smalley

Globe Staff

Brett Myers, a pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, was arraigned this morning after being arrested shortly after midnight for allegedly beating his wife in front of several witnesses on Boylston Street, authorities said.

Myers, 25, was released by a judge this morning after pleading not guilty to assault and battery charges in Boston Municipal Court, according to David Procopio, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.

The pitcher and his wife, Kim Myers, 28, were walking back to their hotel from a bar when a dispute broke out 900 Boylston St, according to Procopio and a police report. Police responded at 12:26 a.m. to a 911 call reporting a domestic assault, Procopio said.

Myers' wife told police she believed her husband hit her twice in the face with a closed fist. Witnesses told police Myers dragged his wife by the hair and slapped her across the face. Procopio said it is unclear if Myers punched his wife or slapped her, but he did strike her in the face.

Courtney Knight, 26, who witnessed the alleged attack, said in an interview today that Myers was out of control.

"It was disgusting," Knight said. "He was dragging her by the hair and slapping her across the face. She was yelling, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore.' "

Knight said the 6-foot-4 ballplayer dwarfs his wife, who the police report said was 5 foot 4 and 120 pounds.

"She's a real small girl," Knight said. "It was awful."

Myers allegedly told Knight and her friends to leave and resisted when they tried to pull him off of his wife, prompting Knight to call police.

She said Myers was undeterred by the presence of her and her two friends.

"He had her on the ground. He was trying to get her to go, and she was resisting," Knight said. "She curled up and sat on the ground. He was pulling her, her shirt up was around her neck....He could have cared less that we were there."

The player was arguing with his wife because he wanted to return to their hotel and she did not, a woman who was with Myers and his wife told police.

Myers is slated to pitch against Curt Schilling at Fenway Park tomorrow.

The police report says that officers found Kim Myers crying and with swelling on the left side of her face. The victim bailed her husband out, posting $200 in bail at the South End police station early this morning, Procopio said.

According to a Major League Baseball website, Myers married his wife in 2002 and they have a 3-year-old daughter.

Very sad stuff.

I respect Dick Allen's position on this matter.

Sad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
Very sad stuff.

I respect Dick Allen's position on this matter.

Sad.

Have to remember when it comes to witnesses they are crap and are the main reason innocent people go to jail, it is pretty clear Myers did hit his wife but we don't know all the circumstances around it. I don't think he is a stand up human being by any means, I'm not going to buy any merchandise with his name on it, but without knowing about everything I'm not going to call him a scumbag.

I don't see how people love AJ and hate Myers though, wasn't AJ the guy when someone asked if he was ok after being hit in the nuts... he responded by hitting the guy in the nuts and asking him if it feels ok?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:47 AM)
Have to remember when it comes to witnesses they are crap and are the main reason innocent people go to jail, it is pretty clear Myers did hit his wife but we don't know all the circumstances around it. I don't think he is a stand up human being by any means, I'm not going to buy any merchandise with his name on it, but without knowing about everything I'm not going to call him a scumbag.

I don't see how people love AJ and hate Myers though, wasn't AJ the guy when someone asked if he was ok after being hit in the nuts... he responded by hitting the guy in the nuts and asking him if it feels ok?

The quotes from the female byster were pretty disturbing.

Seems like the guy is a creep, but whatever. If he hits his wife at any time in the future, I would hope he's thrown in jail for a long long time.

Sox add another veteran. It's time to start winning series again. Team has been simply pathetic since beating KC two of three. We could have lost all 3 of those games and the Royals have been s*** since.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
The quotes from the female byster were pretty disturbing.

Seems like the guy is a creep, but whatever. If he hits his wife at any time in the future, I would hope he's thrown in jail for a long long time.

Sox add another veteran. It's time to start winning series again. Team has been simply pathetic since beating KC two of three. We could have lost all 3 of those games and the Royals have been s*** since.

Yeah it doesnt sound pretty but we dont know what goes on behind closed doors she can be equally abusive to him... some people are like that. I'm not going to root for him specifically but I'm not going to worry about it either and just focus on the Wsox winning is all I care about.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)

What motivation would they have to lie, though?

I could understand (sort of) if they were covering up for a Red Sox player, but why would they drag themselves in a DV situation where they might end up getting to be witnesses, etc.?

Certainly, the odds of them knowing it was the MLB pitcher Brett Myers at that time...wasn't very high, unless they were groupies following the team around and ignoring the fact that he was married, but that's HIGHLY unlikely.

None of us know what kind of relationship they have. I'm certainly not condoning anyone hitting anyone, but let's not pretend as if people aren't capable of inflicting all kinds of harm on others far worse than a punch. I've never hit a woman (I've not hit too many men either), but I've dated some evil, evil women that said and did things a hell of a lot more hurtful than a punch to the jaw.

Honestly, we don't have to be the guy's friend.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Um, I guess I'll say it because nobody else has. The dude literally punched his wife in the face. I hate women. But c'mon now. I ain't supportin' this dude. This is a terrible transaction.

The 2005 White Sox had Carl Freaking Everett on the roster.

I'm sure you hated that team, right?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
I guess because he is now a White Sox you want to ignore the witnesses. There was more than one, and it wasn't like they were trying to take a professional athlete down, they had no idea who he was.

If people now want to look the other way with this idiot because he's now on your favorite team, I suggest you quit watching sports for a while. Its affecting your judgement.

And one question, if this was just an isolated incident where really nothing happened, why have they been going to counseling for years over domestic violence?

Guys that hit women are losers. Brett Myers is a loser.

:notworthy

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I don't care what he does after 'work' as long as he's not dogging it on the field. His wife is still with him? She must love that MLB salary. Carry on.

You're probably a big Joe Paterno fan too. :ph34r:

QUOTE (chicagostatecougars @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:59 AM)
If he pitches well couldn't care less.

+1

Trying to find role models out of a sport, that not only promotes but documents incessantly the individual athletic merits of its players, is extremely pointless.

Might as well model your good samaritan skills by observing the ethical behavior of type-A-venture-capitalists.

or to put it in other words...

If he pitches well couldn't care less.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 02:52 AM)
I don't understand the defense of this guy.

Here's how I look at it: I don't like him. That won't change, but I won't hope he blows games. If he does, I'll dislike him more.

Yea, no problems with that, I just find it funny some are saying this is terrible signing because the guys is a POS. Hey from what I know Alex Rios ain't the nicest guy around. Kenny doing what he can to improve the ballclub, all power to him.

I don't really give a s*** about what he did 6 years ago. You can root for a player to succeed for the team, not for personal gains. There have been plenty of players on my favorite teams I have hated, but that doesn't mean I root against them if they need to step up. If the Sox are winning/losing by a ton and he comes in for mop-up, then fine, root for the worst, but if he is in a tight ball game, then hope he does something to help the team.