Danks will have exploratory surgery

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
You might want to revisit this thread.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

So it's okay for a poster to go off on some conspiracy laden tangent as if the Sox are so inept that they're not trying to protect their most valuable asset, but it's not okay to tell a crybaby to quit crying?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
So it's okay for a poster to go off on some conspiracy laden tangent as if the Sox are so inept that they're not trying to protect their most valuable asset, but it's not okay to tell a crybaby to quit crying?

No, it isnt. So stop insulting people.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
I understand. I just wouldn't think you guys would want the site to resemble sports talk radio or a post game call in show. I'll stop.

Really, because instead of insulting people, you are insulting the site instead.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
I spent a few minutes looking on medical sites for treatment of this type of injury.

Seems physical therapy is the first option.

Surgery is not normally recommended for Grade 1 unless physical therapy doesn't provide results.

Time period for therapy was described as normally 6-8 weeks.

If he requires arthroscopic surgery, it says the normal recovery time would be 3-6 months.

This is all true. However, I'm still skeptical if this is the actual problem. The did an ultrasound after the MRI. As I stated in a different thread, these are usually for muscle injuries not tendon. I think this case is one that no one really knows what's going on so they rested and rehabbed it to see if it would help. If it does, he'll pitch again. If it doesn't they'll do surgery.

Most of the time, this type of ambiguous pain comes from overall shoulder instability. In a pitcher typically the "looseness" focuses in the anterior part of the shoulder and begins to degenerate tissue in this area. This could explain the original Subscapularis findings. The grade 1 tears show as fluid in the area as it's only a minor tear. General degeneration will show up like this as well.

My guess is that if can't continue to throw they will do surgery to tighten up the joint capsule and "clean up" anything else they find. The only real danger of this is if they tighten up the capsule too much it isn't flexible enough. If they don't tighten it up enough, the joint is still too loose. It can be tricky. Either way if they do surgery anytime before Oct. he should be ready to go in spring Training.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
This is all true. However, I'm still skeptical if this is the actual problem. The did an ultrasound after the MRI. As I stated in a different thread, these are usually for muscle injuries not tendon. I think this case is one that no one really knows what's going on so they rested and rehabbed it to see if it would help. If it does, he'll pitch again. If it doesn't they'll do surgery.

Most of the time, this type of ambiguous pain comes from overall shoulder instability. In a pitcher typically the "looseness" focuses in the anterior part of the shoulder and begins to degenerate tissue in this area. This could explain the original Subscapularis findings. The grade 1 tears show as fluid in the area as it's only a minor tear. General degeneration will show up like this as well.

My guess is that if can't continue to throw they will do surgery to tighten up the joint capsule and "clean up" anything else they find. The only real danger of this is if they tighten up the capsule too much it isn't flexible enough. If they don't tighten it up enough, the joint is still too loose. It can be tricky. Either way if they do surgery anytime before Oct. he should be ready to go in spring Training.

Would a full recovery be expected?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
Would a full recovery be expected?

That's the part where they would need to tighten it up just right to maintain enough flexibility yet increase the stability. Most often he would fully recover but it is less of a guarantee than if they knew what the damaged tissue was.

John Danks has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2012 season due to ongoing shoulder issues.

Danks was not making swift enough progress in his rehab and will undergo shoulder surgery on Monday. There's no guarantee that he'll be back to 100 percent health for the start of spring training next February. The left-hander posted a 5.70 ERA and 1.49 WHIP this season. He struck out 30 batters in 53 2/3 innings.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
I don't think Hawk knows s***.

But yes, Danks = mental midget just like everyone else.

Never doubt the Hawkeroo. If Hawk says he's having surgery, you're just going have to stick it in your pocket he's having surgery. I don't think KW wanted everyone to know what most presumed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
Never doubt the Hawkeroo. If Hawk says he's having surgery, you're just going have to stick it in your pocket he's having surgery. I don't think KW wanted everyone to know what most presumed.

Yeah, maybe Kenny WAS working on getting a SP, and you don't want to appear desperate if it comes out you are losing a pitcher for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Danks to have season ending surgery. More to come on http://MLB.com

Surgery on Monday.

I can't say I didn't see that coming. It sucks with the team in contention and him having just signed that contract.

Hopefully this is the reason he struggled and 2011 and sucked in 2012, so he can come back for the next 4 years and be the John Danks of old.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)

My guess is that if can't continue to throw they will do surgery to tighten up the joint capsule and "clean up" anything else they find. The only real danger of this is if they tighten up the capsule too much it isn't flexible enough. If they don't tighten it up enough, the joint is still too loose. It can be tricky.Either way if they do surgery anytime before Oct. he should be ready to go in spring Training.

PTATC with the diagnosis this afternoon... and Kenny makes the call less than two hours later.

The power of Soxtalk. lol

It surprises me that with MRI, CT, etc. doctors still have to do "exploratory surgery" to figure out what is wrong with someone's shoulder.

What I worry about is that Danks' problems are shoulder problems. The list of pitchers who have come back from shoulder surgeries successfully is a LOT shorter than those who have come back from elbow surgeries.