Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
the marlins were not making a lot of money in Joe Robbe Stadium. The bulk of the Marlins game revenue went towards the Dolphins. They made almost nothing in the 03 WS run.

Going to the new stadium, they keep virtually all revenues from parking, concessions, and suites. So even though they have a s*** lineup, they are making a ton of profit NOW.

Wrong. With revenue sharing, they were one of the most profitable teams in baseball. I read one article that said they would have made $20 million if they locked their gates and didn't let anyone in.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Wrong. With revenue sharing, they were one of the most profitable teams in baseball. I read one article that said they would have made $20 million if they locked their gates and didn't let anyone in.

Correct.

So, Loria got a free stadium, increased attendance for one year, made LOAD of money off tickets/concessions/parking, back loaded deals, then sold them off. He made an crap-load of money this year. Now, he'll have minimal payroll and still make money off tickets/concessions/parking and add in revenue sharing. So, he'll be making tons next year and not have to produce any kind of winning record.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

If the new stadium is taken out of the equation... Would people look at what he did differently?

Not looking to defend Loria, because I think he's an ass.

Just a hypothetical.

Think about it...

Sign a bunch of free agents to no trade contracts.

Trade them all after 1 year for good prospects.

Fairly clever way to jump start a system if you could pull it off.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
If the new stadium is taken out of the equation... Would people look at what he did differently?

Just a hypothetical.

Think about it...

If he hadn't of lied to the general public about his team to get his stadium, the outrage wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Sox should trade Viciedo, Thompson, Sanchez, Santiago, and any two other eligible-to-be-traded milb players to the Marlins for Stanton.

Sox missed the boat. The Marlins were ripe for the picking. Sad, sad sad we couldn't be the team to make that deal that Toronto made with the worst owner in all of sports history, Loria.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Sox missed the boat. The Marlins were ripe for the picking. Sad, sad sad we couldn't be the team to make that deal that Toronto made with the worst owner in all of sports history, Loria.

The Marlins moved everyone in one deal, which is exactly what they wanted. They didn't want to drag the bad press out over a winter and sell the team off piecemeal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
The Marlins moved everyone in one deal, which is exactly what they wanted. They didn't want to drag the bad press out over a winter and sell the team off piecemeal.

And there is no way in hell the Sox could afford all those pieces.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)

It's not the Sox fault. They don't have the best GM in the history of ever working for them.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

Just a hypothetical.

Think about it...

I agree with this. It's probably not the right way to do it but it worked. They got the 2nd, 5th, and 7th ranked prospect from the best farm system in the league(2 top 100 prospects). All for guys who won't be around the next time that team is successful. Thats a pretty good start to developing a good farm system.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I agree with this. It's probably not the right way to do it but it worked. They got the 2nd, 5th, and 7th ranked prospect from the best farm system in the league(2 top 100 prospects). All for guys who won't be around the next time that team is successful. Thats a pretty good start to developing a good farm system.

The funny thing is, these prospects won't be around the next time the team is successful if they are any good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)

I didnt say they weren't making money at all, but they were not making it off their stadium. They were literally a tennant to the Dolphins, who made the lion's share of profits off parking, suites, and concessions.

Schilling complaining about anyone being defrauded is just so rich.

Maybe he should think about all that public money poured into his video game company that will never be reimbursed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/14/3095...frey-loria.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/14/3096...to-another.html

“We talk about getting back to our ways, we’ve got get back to what we used to do like when we got Cody Ross for a dollar,” Beinfest said. “We got Dan Uggla for $50,000. Miguel Olivo. Wes Helms. We found ways to get it done. I’ll take some of the blame on that.

“We need to find value. We need to rely on our scouts and our people to help us overcome some of these challenges.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/14/3096...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Curt Schilling was just on ESPN talking about how the Marlins defrauded the city of Miami for their money.

He is probably thinking that Loria is a schmuck, he only fooled a city while Schilling fooled a STATE!!!!

Another irony is that Anthopolous is a Montreal native and started his MLB career working in the Expos' mailroom, when Loria was the owner there.

So it's an incredible turn of events that he's now in another Canadian city less than a decade later on the OTHER side of another combination genius/horrible PR Loria move.

You know what's going to happen. The same thing that happened to the Dodgers. The Blue Jays will underacheive/disappoint and the Marlins will end up winning the World Series for the 3rd time in 2006 years in 2016, in front of an average of 17,107 fans per game.

Then that team will be sold off again and Loria will finally cash out at age 76.

He and Frank McCourt have made (or will have made) billions in profits off MLB on an initial investment between the two of about $12 million.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Logan Morrison reportedly being shopped now. Interesting guy for the Sox I think.

Morrison is a jackass. However, I always liked his skill set. As another poster has stated already though, he has to play 1B. Not really a spot for him on the White Sox currently.