Matt Thornton Appreciation Thread

Quin

Depending on the team's circumstance, it wouldn't surprise me if Thornton is back next year. He would have to be a lot cheaper.

He wasn't as dominant after what seemed to be a fairly minor elbow injury a couple of years ago. His easy gas wasn't as easy, but he still had his moments.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
3.28 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 463 1/3 innings with the Sox. Everybody will remember the games that he blew, but those are pretty damn good numbers for a reliever over that period of time.

I can't even remember what happened in yesterdays game. So he is fine.

Good luck to Thornton. I do hope he has success. He frustrated the hell out of me as a Sox fan the past couple seasons. He seemed to have so much talent compared to some of the lefty stiffs we've trotted out there, but he got hit just like the rest of them.

This should re-energize him mentally if he needed a kick in the pants. I know nothing about him so I don't know if complacency ever set in with him or he just got hit.

In his prime Thornton was incredibly fun to watch. His easy heat, high 90s fastball was always thrown for strikes and he got ahead of everyone. For a few years he also had a decent slider that was just enough to go with his amazing fastball and control.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
3.28 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 463 1/3 innings with the Sox. Everybody will remember the games that he blew, but those are pretty damn good numbers for a reliever over that period of time.

Those numbers are pretty good. Can't argue with that. Good luck in Boston, Matt. Keith Folke, Bobby Jenks, now Matt Thornton. I guess Boston is kinda like a retirement home for ex-Sox relievers.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
Though the past few years were rough for Matt, he was once the best non-closer relief pitcher in baseball.

One of KW's best trades ever and Coop's best fix.

Best of luck in Boston to Matt!

Completely agree. One of Kenny's best moves and Thorty was always a rock. Hell, all the complaining aside, he's still pretty damn solid. Thanks for all the great years Matt and best of luck!!!

Middle relievers only get noticed when they screw up, and Thornton became Soxtalk's whipping boy. But it says something if you are able to stay in the same bullpen for 8 straight years, you have to be doing something right. He was solid the whole time here, with that 2-3 year stretch where he was one of the top set-up guys in all of baseball.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
Matt was great for us and will be missed. His best days are behind him and he never got the credit he deserves. I wish him personal luck in Boston.

When he was great and had that badass walk out song I used to love when he came in high intensity situations.

He definitely got the credit he deserves. He was a popular White Sox. People always thought he was good even the nights he got lit up, which were many.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)
Not on Soxtalk

Yes, but I think overall, he escaped even the wrath of Soxtalk. I remember ripping Thornton several times and getting it shoved back in my face. So I tended to tread rather lightly regarding Thornton. He had his staunch supporters because of his overall numbers. A lot of my criticism is the eye test. It seems an inordinate amount of games I've watched the last 2-3 years have included Thornton failing.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 11:49 PM)
Yes, but I think overall, he escaped even the wrath of Soxtalk. I remember ripping Thornton several times and getting it shoved back in my face. So I tended to tread rather lightly regarding Thornton. He had his staunch supporters because of his overall numbers. A lot of my criticism is the eye test. It seems an inordinate amount of games I've watched the last 2-3 years have included Thornton failing.

Perhaps you were bad luck? Matt had 2 bad games this year, every reliever has them, and sans those 2 games Matt had a 2.36 era....To say Matt can't still pitch is just wrong.

You seem to be holding a grudge from one of his bad games.