2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
That made my day.............my reaction the same :lol:

Ditto. I also got a kick out of the nonchalant manner in which the anchorwoman describes the Pelican as a "deranged bloodthirsty clown that feeds...on children" - no doubt while still in disbelief and trying to recover from unleashing Clark onto their viewers.

"Speaking at the Cubs Convention today, Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein said the team erred in promoting Brett Jackson to the majors in 2012, commenting that the outfielder may have required more minor league seasoning (via MLB.com's Carrie Muskat). Jackson struggled to a .175/.303/.342 line in 142 plate appearances, and returned to the minors in 2013 to hit just .210/.296/.330. Epstein explained that then-manager Dale Sveum wanted to work on developing Jackson's swing."

Don't worry guys. Baez/Bryant/Almora/Soler are all gonna be stars!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
"Speaking at the Cubs Convention today, Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein said the team erred in promoting Brett Jackson to the majors in 2012, commenting that the outfielder may have required more minor league seasoning (via MLB.com's Carrie Muskat). Jackson struggled to a .175/.303/.342 line in 142 plate appearances, and returned to the minors in 2013 to hit just .210/.296/.330. Epstein explained that then-manager Dale Sveum wanted to work on developing Jackson's swing."

Josh Vitters......the 2003 game six v Florida was covered on MLBN top games of last twenty years I could watch that game on a loop until I take my last breath. I love you Dusty and piss hands.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)

You damn right! #hammerheadjohnson aka I want some attention

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
let those scabs sue. If I was Ricketts I would just go and do it

The problem is that the Cubs made a revenue sharing deal with the rooftop owners, which might have legitimized their claims in the eyes of the courts. If they had just ignored them and contended that they didn't deserve anything, they would be in a better place right now.

Why don't the Cubs just buy out the affected rooftops? It can't cost much more than a reserve infielder.

If this is supposedly holding everything up, with what they will have to pay lawyers and time lost, wouldn't that make sense? Money must really be tight at Clark/Addison.

It seems to me the Ricketts kids bought a lemon of a car without having a mechanic look at it first.

I bet Cubs fans thought anyone but the Tribune Company would be good for the Cubs. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
Why don't the Cubs just buy out the affected rooftops? It can't cost much more than a reserve infielder.

If this is supposedly holding everything up, with what they will have to pay lawyers and time lost, wouldn't that make sense? Money must really be tight at Clark/Addison.

It seems to me the Ricketts kids bought a lemon of a car without having a mechanic look at it first.

I bet Cubs fans thought anyone but the Tribune Company would be good for the Cubs. Be careful what you wish for.

Revenue for the rooftops is probably close to $1M annually. The buildings have been retrofitted to serve the purpose of being a bar on the top two or three floors if not the entire building.

I would guess the cost to buy those buildings would be in the $50-$100M range.

Just had a Cubs fan tell me Sox were never in on Tanaka, Sox have the worst front office in baseball, have done nothing to improve their MLB team or farm system the past five years, Sale's contract is worthless if they don't trade him. Cubs were a playoff team with Tanaka and Tigers signed Joba for the same amount they used to pay Fielder.

f***ing idiot.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Revenue for the rooftops is probably close to $1M annually. The buildings have been retrofitted to serve the purpose of being a bar on the top two or three floors if not the entire building.

I would guess the cost to buy those buildings would be in the $50-$100M range.

Rooftop tickets have dropped drastically in price in recent years. Plus you have to share your income with the Cubs. A building sold a couple years ago for $5 million, in fact, I think the Cubs bought it, and they wouldn't have to buy every rooftop, just the buildings the signs block. The Cubs agreement only runs another 10 years anyway. It may be time some of these rooftop owners may want to flee. They have to spend money litigating, and might wind up with zilch. Considering it's supposedly holding up the plan, spending $20-25 million buying out the rooftops holding up the project seems a small price to pay. And they can run the rooftop and get 100% of the profit.

And according to the Cubs themselves:

Kenney said $20 million in bleacher sales has been lost because of the threat of a rooftop lawsuit.

I don't know how that last statement adds up. Maybe it is just the guy who actually agreed to the agreement between the team and rooftop owners now trying to make them the fall guys for the pathetic excuse they are for a team. Afterall, Theo tried to pin Brett Jackson being a bust on Sveum wanting to work with him in the big leagues, when all Theo would have had to say is no.

Maybe in a few years, they will finally get the renovation done, all their prospects will be stars and the Ricketts will laugh at all the doubters. But the way everything has gone wrong, I tend to think there is a lot more glee for Cubs haters the next 6 or 7 years.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Just had a Cubs fan tell me Sox were never in on Tanaka, Sox have the worst front office in baseball, have done nothing to improve their MLB team or farm system the past five years, Sale's contract is worthless if they don't trade him. Cubs were a playoff team with Tanaka and Tigers signed Joba for the same amount they used to pay Fielder.

f***ing idiot.

He's a cubs fan. You really don't need to say anything to him.

f***ing idiot.

Sounds about as baseball-savvy as the typical "fan" at Wrigley Field.

f***ing idiot.

After you said Cub fan, I knew he was a sheep.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah well Mark Grace drives drunk and Sammy Sosa used steroids. And I'm arguing in facts!

Prince Fielder was making $4M/year with the Tigers according to him.

Also, the Cubs have the best minor league system and are thus setup because they're all sure fire hits. Abreu, Garcia, EJ, Semien, Webb, Davidson, and Eaton are all likely to fail.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Prince Fielder was making $4M/year with the Tigers according to him.

Also, the Cubs have the best minor league system and are thus setup because they're all sure fire hits. Abreu, Garcia, EJ, Semien, Webb, Davidson, and Eaton are all likely to fail.

Oh well that's pretty impossible to argue with, not sure you have much of a case.

I remember getting into an argument with a Cubs fan teammate back in high school. I asked him what he has to say about the Sox winning a World Series in 2005 while it's been almost 100 years longer since the Cubs did. "Wins don't matter, bro"

f***ing idiot.

Wut.