2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
It will be interesting to see if the Rays consider dealing Longoria to the Cubs after the Maddon tampering fiasco

It would depend on the return. If they made an offer the Rays couldn't refuse then a deal probably gets done. The Rays should probably get over it already. If Maddon didn't leave this year for the Cubs then he'd probably leave next offseason for the Cubs/Dodgers/etc.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Consider that based on "that stat" Joe Maddon isn't listed in either top-5 but Rick Renteria is...

"I’ll be ranking Managers by the difference between their team’s Pythagorean wins and actual wins."

I've never liked that method.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Consider that based on "that stat" Joe Maddon isn't listed in either top-5 but Rick Renteria is...

That stat is also a very incomplete way to look at the impact of a manager.

Pythagorean W-L has value as a stat, but I feel like it's way to simplistic to say that the manager is purely responsible for whether a team over or under-achieved based on how many runs they scored and gave up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
That stat is also a very incomplete way to look at the impact of a manager.

Pythagorean W-L has value as a stat, but I feel like it's way to simplistic to say that the manager is purely responsible for whether a team over or under-achieved based on how many runs they scored and gave up.

There's also margin of error when calculating pythag W-L. Wikipedia says the latest formula has a root-mean-square-error of 3.99. So the pythag W-L might be calculated as 90-72, but you could think of it more as predicting a team record somewhere between 86-76 and 94-68 (this is probably not the 100% accurate way of describing the detailed statistics but it at least gives a 'feel' for how accurate a prediction might be).

Trying to say a team over- or under-performed their pythag is tricky enough, and trying to tie it to a single variable like "manager" is just ridiculous.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
Cubs are down to 10-1 in Vegas, which is lol worthy.

At best, this Cubs team might win 85 games. I don't remember the last time a team counted on 3-4 rookies (no matter how good of prospects they are) to make the playoffs. I feel Soler is legit and can contribute immediately, but guys like Bryant, Alcantara, and Baez are all big power hitters who miss the ball a lot. Those guys are going to struggle massively early on in their careers. To expect even 2 of them to give the Cubs positive, let alone average ML value next season is a pipe dream.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Between the Cubs and Royals, every WS until 2020 is spoken for.

Don't let Hahn know or he might stop assembling a potential contender.

Are the cubs and royals going to switch off year to year as world series winners? :P

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
The Astros have to get one in there too.

Oops, don't know how I missed the Astros. My apologies to their 3,893 fan base. :P

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
anyone see the joke;

Why did Lester choose the cubs?

He was promised his Octobers off.

That's a good one. Love a good joke to go with my morning coffee.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
There's also margin of error when calculating pythag W-L. Wikipedia says the latest formula has a root-mean-square-error of 3.99. So the pythag W-L might be calculated as 90-72, but you could think of it more as predicting a team record somewhere between 86-76 and 94-68 (this is probably not the 100% accurate way of describing the detailed statistics but it at least gives a 'feel' for how accurate a prediction might be).

Trying to say a team over- or under-performed their pythag is tricky enough, and trying to tie it to a single variable like "manager" is just ridiculous.

Phil Rogers is not happy. Nor is Ron Gardenhire.

Cubs sign agreement with WLS Ch.-7 to air 25 games a year through 2019. Don't really see local sports on the top 3 major channels. According to the article, they plan to start their own regional sports network after 2019, when all of their deals expire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/bre...1211-story.html

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
Cubs sign agreement with WLS Ch.-7 to air 25 games a year through 2019. Don't really see local sports on the top 3 major channels. According to the article, they plan to start their own regional sports network after 2019, when all of their deals expire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/bre...1211-story.html

Wow. What a deal for them.

:/

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
And somewhere there's a cub fan that would try to sell you the idea that its better to have Lester than Samardzija, Sale and Abreu.

On another site I frequent, I had a Cubs fan tell me that he'd rather have Jon Lester and his contract, than Chris Sale and his contract, because Sale "has a scary motion that will ruin his career". And then he insists that Arrieta is better than both Quintana and Samardzija, and Lester/Arrieta might be the best duo on baseball.

A lot of Cubs fans just have no clue.