2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 02:57 AM)
So did Beltre. MLBTR speculates it's because teams were afraid that claiming him would only give them 48 hours to work a deal, versus now where they have until the month is over.

No one claimed them because they know Texas won't trade them, so they arent wasting a waiver claim on them.

Garret Richards just went down, bad looking, while covering first. One of his legs twisted. several minutes later and still on his back. Carting off. Cannot get up at all.

Lifted up on a stretcher after >>5 minutes on the ground.

Yeah, we'll hope to see him in 2015. Maybe.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 34m

hearing neal cotts is not being traded. had been claimed on revocable waivers. #rangers

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 51m

Neal Cotts was claimed by an AL Central Team and move was made to block and will not be traded according to source

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
David Price allows an unearned run in the first inning after an error and a triple, then retires the next 23 hitters. The Tigers lose 1-0.

Baseball Reference ‏@baseball_ref 3m

Price is the 1st pitcher since Andy Hawkins in 1990 to lose while pitching a complete game with 0 ER allowed and 1 or fewer hits allowed

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Baseball Reference ‏@baseball_ref 3m

Price is the 1st pitcher since Andy Hawkins in 1990 to lose while pitching a complete game with 0 ER allowed and 1 or fewer hits allowed

I believe I was at that game. Lost while throwing a no-hitter at he old baseball yard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
Looking like 3 out of 4 years in a row where the Pirates will make no major moves at the trade deadline while in the playoff hunt and then collapse when August hits.

Justin Morneau last year. It's arguable if that constitutes major or not. He didn't hit that well for them, but this year he's been close to All-Star level.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
David Price allows an unearned run in the first inning after an error and a triple, then retires the next 23 hitters. The Tigers lose 1-0.

was at the game today. weird seeing Price on the opposing side but that was a great pitching performance by both Price and Cobb today.

I truly don't care about team payrolls cause I have no sympathy for owners who blatantly rip off the fans. That said, I laugh at this Choo contract. Look what he produced this year for all that $$. Owners of sports teams are so stupid. They set the market for this crap.

THE CASE FOR CHOO

-- Rangers signed him to 7 year, 130 mill deal last winter (hilarious).

He's finished for the season in which he hit .242 with 13 home runs, 40 RBIs.

So is some advanced-stat lover going to tell me his on base percentage of .340 makes him worth that cash?? In football, he'd be cut so fast this offseason it'd make your head spin.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
I truly don't care about team payrolls cause I have no sympathy for owners who blatantly rip off the fans. That said, I laugh at this Choo contract. Look what he produced this year for all that $$. Owners of sports teams are so stupid. They set the market for this crap.

THE CASE FOR CHOO

So is some advanced-stat lover going to tell me his on base percentage of .340 makes him worth that cash?? In football, he'd be cut so fast this offseason it'd make your head spin.

The majority owner of the Texas Rangers is the 296th richest person in America with a net worth of $1.9 billion. For some reason I doubt he's very stupid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)

THE CASE FOR CHOO

I have a hard time believing you aren't trolling. You have to pay attention to the MLB enough to see what kind of contracts players are signed too. He came off a season with an .885 OPS. Dude had a .423 OBP. He was extremely valuable. You somehow go off on a tangent about how advanced stats suck. SO MANY players would be cut if teams could cut guys like in the NFL. That is a ridiculous comment.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:14 AM)
I have a hard time believing you aren't trolling. You have to pay attention to the MLB enough to see what kind of contracts players are signed too. He came off a season with an .885 OPS. Dude had a .423 OBP. He was extremely valuable. You somehow go off on a tangent about how advanced stats suck. SO MANY players would be cut if teams could cut guys like in the NFL. That is a ridiculous comment.

Did you see the kind of year he had for 19 million? You think he's going to get any better the next six years? Yes, he'd be cut if he was on an NFL team so they wouldn't have to pay the money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:19 AM)
The majority owner of the Texas Rangers is the 296th richest person in America with a net worth of $1.9 billion. For some reason I doubt he's very stupid.

Well, if he wants to give his money away I wish he'd give me some. Choo certainly wasn't worthy of all those millions of dollars. At least I could have sold beer in the stands and had some value. Prince Fielder is a walking time bomb with all that weight and yet he also was paid some zillion dollar contract and I suspect he's about done as well unless he reinvents his body when he gets healthy again.

Edited by greg775