2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Mark Simon ‏@msimonespn 1h

For $28.9 million, the Braves have gotten -2.3 WAR out of B.J. Upton ... still has 3 years and $46 million left to get.

It's just insane to me the difference in power between the baseball union and the football union...with all the money the NFL has right now, why on earth do the players not strike and demand guaranteed contracts? I know more of an emphasis has been made on guaranteed money recently, but jeesh...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 22, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
It's just insane to me the difference in power between the baseball union and the football union...with all the money the NFL has right now, why on earth do the players not strike and demand guaranteed contracts? I know more of an emphasis has been made on guaranteed money recently, but jeesh...

Frankly, I think that's a part of the demise of baseball's popularity. There are guys getting paid absurd amounts of money that would be released or outrighted to the minors if they weren't guaranteed that money. No Braves fan wants to watch BJ Upton play, even if he's still incredibly talented, and in the NFL, guys that bust get released all the time and it really incentivizes working towards staying in shape and being on the top of your game at all time. If they could just release those guys and bring in someone else, it would make watching the game a hell of a lot more interesting.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 22, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)

Because 50% of their league lives paycheck to paycheck and the owners know it. They just hold out until the players cave.

Royals had the tying run at 2B with two outs but couldn't push the second run of the inning across.

Would have been weird to walk-off on a visiting field.

Indians, if the game had been tied, wouldn't have been able to celebrate in the top of the next inning, having to wait again for the Royals to bat.

Weird.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
The Pirates are on fire and it seems like they can't gain a shred of ground.

Cardinals have two more at the Cubs, and 3 at Arizona. Probably not going to lose this.

I just hope the Pirates host the play-in game. They're a lot tougher at home. Plus I don't want the Giants to have another even-year championship out of nowhere.

Honestly, unless the WS is Pirates-Royals, I hope the CS is Orioles-Angels and Nats-Dodgers. Good matchups, and Trout and Harper on the biggest stage would be good for baseball.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
Olbermann right again.

Two most important things about this Jeter celebration:

1. Had the Yankees not kept Jeter this year, it's very possible they signed Jhonny Peralta to play SS. I know their rotation has been decimated by injuries, but that upgrade at SS would still have them in the wild card hunt.

2. 1 World Series in the last 14 years. It's almost like the 85 Bears, Jeter's biggest accomplishments happened last century.

The guy was overrated as a SS but has well over 3000 hits, 20 years with the same team, all those rings, was a model teammate, and never in a controversy.

Let him have his fan fare. It's not Jeter's fault other teams are doing stuff for him.

People who complain about this are more annoying than the actual fan fare.

Why is Olberman still on?

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
The guy was overrated as a SS but has well over 3000 hits, 20 years with the same team, all those rings, was a model teammate, and never in a controversy.

Let him have his fan fare. It's not Jeter's fault other teams are doing stuff for him.

People who complain about this are more annoying than the actual fan fare.

Why is Olberman still on?

I've said it a lot but I think he's overrated and underrated all at once. The media certainly overrates him but there's also angry message board people like us who I feel underrate the guy because we're annoyed with the media overrating him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
This is still better than a whole lot of other people, and that 14 years also includes a WS loss.

Those other people aren't the greatest Yankee of all time and the ultimate "winner".

Yes, I'm over exaggerating because of the media hype, but the point is that after the Yankees heyday of the late 90s, they have been an above-average team, but not even the best team in the league. Surprising given the mere presence of Jeter in the clubhouse.

I've said it a lot but I think he's overrated and underrated all at once. The media certainly overrates him but there's also angry message board people like us who I feel underrate the guy because we're annoyed with the media overrating him.

Jeter has been overrated because his SS defense has never been nearly as good as everyone has made it out to be, and he has also been overrated in the sense that when you stack him up against pure hitters (Thomas, Pujols, etc.) his numbers pale in comparison.

He has been underrated because of the incredible offensive output that he has produced while being above average defensively at the most difficult position on the field and doing so for a very long time.

What is the difference between tony Gwynn and Derek Jeter?

Location, championships and the rest of staying out of trouble and what not are all BS. I related more to Gwynn than Jeter as person.

Baseball is a team game and Jeter had the benefit of playing on a team that could spend and do whatever it had to to win.

Jeter is a good player but we do not need the tributes that he is getting.

I cant wait for him to be on the Fox broadcast as early as this year so we can now see how brilliant he is.