2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
What is the difference between tony Gwynn and Derek Jeter?

Location, championships and the rest of staying out of trouble and what not are all BS. I related more to Gwynn than Jeter as person.

Baseball is a team game and Jeter had the benefit of playing on a team that could spend and do whatever it had to to win.

Jeter is a good player but we do not need the tributes that he is getting.

I cant wait for him to be on the Fox broadcast as early as this year so we can now see how brilliant he is.

Same can be said for Ripken or Chipper Jones. All have not been controversial and were model players by and large. Gwynn was my all time favorite during the era but none of those guys have the rings / post season accomplishments of Jeter. What he has done has been incredible. It might be the most storied career in modern day professional sports when you consider same team, postseason highlights, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Same can be said for Ripken or Chipper Jones. All have not been controversial and were model players by and large. Gwynn was my all time favorite during the era but none of those guys have the rings / post season accomplishments of Jeter. What he has done has been incredible. It might be the most storied career in modern day professional sports when you consider same team, postseason highlights, etc.

Coming from a Bulls fan?? Wow.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Coming from a Bulls fan?? Wow.

I feel like Jordan's legacy would be significantly different had he came up in this more modern era of media. However, I do agree he would be on that list as well. However, he didn't play all of his career with the same time. I will always have a bitter taste in my mouth regarding his era with the Wizards. Yuck.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Derek Jeter - 2,743 games, 119 wRC+, 73.6 fWAR

Barry Larkin - 2,180 games, 118 wRC+, 67.6 fWAR

Larkin's sin is that he didn't play for the Yankees, so he only got to go to the playoffs twice.

Larkin's in the hall of fame though right?

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Derek Jeter - 2,743 games, 119 wRC+, 73.6 fWAR

Barry Larkin - 2,180 games, 118 wRC+, 67.6 fWAR

Larkin's sin is that he didn't play for the Yankees, so he only got to go to the playoffs twice.

The counting stats are also REALLY important for the HOF as well. Larkin has something like 1200 less hits than Jeter does. He also has a career batting average that is 15 points higher, 400 more career RBI's, 60 more career homers, etc. Barry Larkin never lead the league in any individual statistic, Jeter did multiple times. Jeter had more ASG's etc.

Having seen both of their careers, I feel that there is a very large difference between the careers of Barry Larkin and Jeter. Honestly I wasn't a big fan of Larkin being a HOFer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
Tonight is the first game in Jeter's career where he will play a home game with the Yankees eliminated from playoff contention,

If he hadn't taken over 600 plate appearances from the two hole this season, that streak might still be intact.

God f***ing damnit. The game started off so great with the leadoffs HRs from Markakis and De Aza. Then Jeter got that RBI double and it was the most amazing and classy double you will ever see in your life, and doubles will never be the same after this season. Then he has that error and everything was looking awesome and hilarious again. I was so excited to see him have a 3 error game and be awful.

Then enter the 9th inning, Girardi decides not to pull Jeter on defense to get his 20-minute standing ovation. Robertson then blows the game, allows Jeter to bat again. First batter gets a hit, is bunted over to 2nd, and Jeter delivers a basehit to RF and the throw is terrible and the game ends on a walk off. f***ing makes me sick. I hope he plays in Boston and his career ends on a strikeout or a DP.

I hate Derek Jeter so much. Good riddance.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
God f***ing damnit. The game started off so great with the leadoffs HRs from Markakis and De Aza. Then Jeter got that RBI double and it was the most amazing and classy double you will ever see in your life, and doubles will never be the same after this season. Then he has that error and everything was looking awesome and hilarious again. I was so excited to see him have a 3 error game and be awful.

Then enter the 9th inning, Girardi decides not to pull Jeter on defense to get his 20-minute standing ovation. Robertson then blows the game, allows Jeter to bat again. First batter gets a hit, is bunted over to 2nd, and Jeter delivers a basehit to RF and the throw is terrible and the game ends on a walk off. f***ing makes me sick. I hope he plays in Boston and his career ends on a strikeout or a DP.

You mad bro?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)

Damn dude.

I don't like Jeter, but you straight up hate him.

I think it's pretty cool he got a walk-off hit in his last home game. Is all the media going to be on his dick for the next week? Yes. Do I hate that? Yes. But at the end of the day you have to admit Jeter's been a great player over his career and that's probably one of the best ways you can end a career (at home at least).