AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
He is 22 correct?? He will change once he gets time and understands the game more.. I would say not looking good and still being 2 for 4 is encouraging. Shows how much potential he has

You don't know this. I agree, but no way is it anywhere near a sure thing. Hopefully Hahn got players who have higher odds of being productive than some other prospects.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
For all the slider speed bat comments, he's been remarkably quick to the ball.

The single he hit, he was able to quickly pull his hands and drop the head of the bat to make solid contact instead of rolling over the top of it...and pulling it weakly on the ground, like Semien did in the bottom of the 1st.

I was going to say that too. That hit was way more impressive to me than that rope double he hit. On the single to LF he pulled his hands in and somehow was able to get on top of the ball enough to give it some topspin to the OF. That was all hands.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
Yeah, Avi with four horrible at bats, still ends up 2 for 4 somehow. That's discouraging because it makes me think he'll never change.

But f*ck yeah to everything else.

The 2 outs he made were bad ABs. The broken bat single he had was lucky. But what was wrong with that single he smashed up the middle? He almost took the pitcher's leg off on that rocket.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
You don't know this. I agree, but no way is it anywhere near a sure thing. Hopefully Hahn got players who have higher odds of being productive than some other prospects.

Well duh I don't know this. Nobody knows if he won't either.. It is just my opinion though.

I know it's sounds repetitive but man is Abreu is definetly the most polished,mature Cuban hitter in the bigs and he's only played 1 MLB game. The guy is just smart with his pitch selection and has a good eye.oh and he absolutely crushes the ball even when he hits it off the end of the bat.should be fun to see him for the next few years. :)

He is 22 correct?? He will change once he gets time and understands the game more.. I would say not looking good and still being 2 for 4 is encouraging. Shows how much potential he has

I'm just saying that as long as he keeps getting lucky on broken bat shankers, his BA will stay reasonable and he may look at his results and refuse to change his process, that's all. I would rather that he looked at yesterday and thought "damn, I got played really hard," than, "alright man, batting .500! Keep it up!"

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)
The 2 outs he made were bad ABs. The broken bat single he had was lucky. But what was wrong with that single he smashed up the middle? He almost took the pitcher's leg off on that rocket.

Yeah, you're right. It was three horrible at bats. The hanger he crushed was fine.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 01:41 AM)
I'm really happy for DeAza. He certainly passes the eye test as a baseball hitter. Hope last year's "sloppiness" was just an anomaly. Way to go, DeAza.

It's only one game, but I like what I've seen so far. Apparently, De Aza likes hitting further down in the order and not being a lead-off guy. He obviously has the power (17 HRs last year). Maybe allowing him to be a different type of hitter will help.

Regardless, he's already either showing that he's the man for the job or he's a good trade candidate.

It was a fun game to attend. I just have to remember it was a team the Sox are supposed to beat, especially with Sale on the mound.

At least it wasn't so boring and frustrating, like the majority of games last season. I hope that is a good sign. You never know what might spark a team, but then again, I think most of us probably get a little too optimistic after one game. (At least we have this one game)

We believed this about Viciedo. He has been bad.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
I know it's sounds repetitive but man is Abreu is definetly the most polished,mature Cuban hitter in the bigs and he's only played 1 MLB game. The guy is just smart with his pitch selection and has a good eye.oh and he absolutely crushes the ball even when he hits it off the end of the bat.should be fun to see him for the next few years. :)

I know. But he's already 27.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Cool, lets cut avisail now.

Players get better, but Garcia has a tendency to hit the ball into the ground. Right now, he's less Miguel Cabrera or Magglio Ordonez and more Melky Cabrera. That's not a bad indictment, but for a guy with his power and strength, I would like that swing path to be better. He reminds me of Pierzynski at the plate, which, yeah, AJ was a good hitting catcher, but that's a good hitting catcher a poor hitting right fielder.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 05:56 AM)
It's only one game, but I like what I've seen so far. Apparently, De Aza likes hitting further down in the order and not being a lead-off guy. He obviously has the power (17 HRs last year). Maybe allowing him to be a different type of hitter will help.

Regardless, he's already either showing that he's the man for the job or he's a good trade candidate.

Just keep him in a run-producing role and away from any table-setting role and he may be fine.

Watching Abreu hit in person, I now understand why there was a disconnect in the reports between supposedly questionable bat speed, and yet loud contact and power. If you watch him swing, it LOOKS slow. Not long, just slow. But somehow, when he makes contact, there is immense power behind it. It must be his hands or something. But I totally get how some scouts may have seen what they perceived as slow bat speed. I don't think it's slow - I think he's got a fast top hand with a very short stroke of it, a relatively short swing, and a lot of body and bat size, which together give that false impression.

I think the guy is going to be a monster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Watching Thomas hit in person, I now understand why there was a disconnect in the reports between supposedly questionable bat speed, and yet loud contact and power. If you watch him swing, it LOOKS slow. Not long, just slow. But somehow, when he makes contact, there is immense power behind it. It must be his hands or something. But I totally get how some scouts may have seen what they perceived as slow bat speed. I don't think it's slow - I think he's got a fast top hand with a very short stroke of it, a relatively short swing, and a lot of body and bat size, which together give that false impression.

I think the guy is going to be a monster.

Funny how you can change one words - the name - yet everything remains the same.

It'd be real nice if it held true.

(to be fair, Thomas did have a really long swing, so it's not completely true, but whatever)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Funny how you can change one words - the name - yet everything remains the same.

(to be fair, Thomas did have a really long swing, so it's not completely true, but whatever)

I was thinking about this, most of my Thomas memories are from 02 and beyond where he began changing his swing for fences. Seemed long then but I thought he had a short and quick route through the 90s.

Sucks being young in the 90s as Jordan in Basketball and Thomas in baseball were destroying records. I remember it but don't remember it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)

Except Frank would have never swung at the pitches that Abreu turned into hits. In a very limited data set, I would give a Vlad Guerrero comp. That guy could hit absolute garbage 500 feet.