Garcia cleared for baseball activity

Heads22

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
Garcia is not the prototypical outfielder in terms of body type, and his speed will leave him as his body continues to grow and you'll find guy with bodies like his either playing first or DHing.

I think that Garcia could be a plus defender at first and maybe even an upgrade at first over Abreu, who's glove hasn't been that bad in his defense. Plus if you have Abreu and Garcia as your 1B/DH it allows to put another athlete in the outfield, which could help out the teams defense.

And can he please switch out of #26, it looks horrible on him.

What makes you think a guy that has never played 1B could be a plus defender at the position?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
1) This is stupid. He has athleticism, it's just he got bad reads. You have no idea how his body will hold up. Manny didn't fit the body type, you can argue Andruw Jones didn't later in his career.

2) Why? What reasoning? And stop trying to put Abreu at DH unless his glove is actually hurting the team, which it isn't.

3) ...ok, this just is griping just to gripe.

The guy is 6'4 and 240 pounds as a 23 year old, it's not unreasonable to assume that his body will continue to get 'bigger' or that he will loose some of his athleticism and speed as he continues to get older. You can put him at first base where he instantly becomes one of the more athletic first basemen in the game and he has the tools to be a plus defender at first long term, I can't say the same with confidence if he stays in the OF, and maybe if he is still getting bad reads on the ball at this level maybe the OF isn't the place for him long term.

I have no problems with Abreu playing 1B, I think he is an underrated defensive player and because his bat is so good that his skills on the field go unnoticed. I am not advocating that the Sox move Abreu to DH so he can focus on his bat full time, I'm saying that the Sox should consider moving Garcia out of the OF because that allow them more flexibility when they build the lineup and the roster. Hell, Garcia could DH full time and I would support that decision.

Edited by Joshua Strong

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/flower...-time-birth-son

More work ahead for Garcia

Robin Ventura said Avisail Garcia continues to impress in his recovery from a torn left labrum. But the White Sox manager doesn’t have any more information about when the young outfielder might take the next step.

“How close is he to a rehab assignment, I don’t know,” Ventura said. “I’m not a doctor so I’m not going to be able to clear him. But when you watch him do things, you’re excited about the recovery.

“Him swinging the bat, running around, catching fly balls. More of the concern is going to be sliding, diving, things like that. When the doctors clear him he’s going to be 100 percent, go play. There’s not going to be any restrictions on him.”

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
Adrian Peterson

Yeah, or Robert Griffin III

I understand that we want to see him back, and it'd be really cool to see him back before the end of the year given the severity of his injury, but there's no need to rush back.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)

I understand that we want to see him back, and it'd be really cool to see him back before the end of the year given the severity of his injury, but there's no need to rush back.

I feel ya. I wouldn't be opposed to him seeing game speed at the end of the year though, just so he knows how hard he has to work this offseason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)

Is there really a rush though if your cleared to play?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
Derrick Rose certainly doesn't feel so.

There is a signifcant difference with an ACL tear in a basketball player and a non-throwing shoulder injury in an outfielder. Let alone the fact that one had a suture repair of tissue and the other had a full blown ligament replacement.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
There is a signifcant difference with an ACL tear in a basketball player and a non-throwing shoulder injury in an outfielder. Let alone the fact that one had a suture repair of tissue and the other had a full blown ligament replacement.

Na dude, same thing. Nice try with the "science".

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
Na dude, same thing. Nice try with the "science".

It was an admittedly bad attempt at a joke.

If the guy's ready, go for it, I'm not going to be upset.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
It was an admittedly bad attempt at a joke.

If the guy's ready, go for it, I'm not going to be upset.

I would love to see him get a few MLB ABs if he is ready. Then let him play some winter ball and work on that Magglio slide in the OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/flower...-time-birth-son

More work ahead for Garcia

Robin Ventura said Avisail Garcia continues to impress in his recovery from a torn left labrum. But the White Sox manager doesn’t have any more information about when the young outfielder might take the next step.

“How close is he to a rehab assignment, I don’t know,” Ventura said. “I’m not a doctor so I’m not going to be able to clear him. But when you watch him do things, you’re excited about the recovery.

“Him swinging the bat, running around, catching fly balls. More of the concern is going to be sliding, NOT diving, things like that. When the doctors clear him he’s going to be 100 percent, go play. There’s not going to be any restrictions on him.”

Fixed Robin's quote.