Cardinals sign AJ Pierzynski

Eminor3rd

Chemistry/personality or not, there is simply no point in bringing him back to a rebuilding team, especially as he hasn't produced a lick himself this year.

I hope the Sox concentrate on upgrading young talent on this roster.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
There is it. Our solution.

Bring back AJP. Tell him it's just for the rest of this season. Flowers is backup. Everybody's happy in Soxland.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Except Adrian Nieto

If the Sox brought AJ in (which I doubt), Flowers would be the odd man out. Nieto can't be sent to the minors unless the Sox complete a trade with Washington. I don't see the Sox bringing AJ in, and this could be one of the reasons. I think they like Flowers, even with his .210 BA and 100+ Ks already. Personally, I'd rather see AJ and Nieto sharing time, but I do see the point that it doesn't do anything for a team that is not going to contend. It would be a move for the fans and for a short term (minor) gain.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
Picking up AJ doesn't prevent you from finding a long term solution.

Exactly. That's my argument for doing it. It won't do anything for the future, but having Flowers out there doesn't either. Nieto could be the catcher of the future. It's hard to tell. We won't know for a while. But, I think we can all agree that Flowers is not the catcher of the future. So why not bring AJ in, release Flowers, and go with AJ and Nieto for the rest of the year. Give Nieto a little more time than he has been getting, see what you've got.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
Exactly. That's my argument for doing it. It won't do anything for the future, but having Flowers out there doesn't either. Nieto could be the catcher of the future. It's hard to tell. We won't know for a while. But, I think we can all agree that Flowers is not the catcher of the future. So why not bring AJ in, release Flowers, and go with AJ and Nieto for the rest of the year. Give Nieto a little more time than he has been getting, see what you've got.

agreed, nieto can learn a lot more from AJ than from flowers

Love that story. Pitcher acts like child. AJ ignores it. AJs fault somehow.

Author nailed it. The Red Sox are being babies...again

I just don’t understand why this always happens with the Red Sox. Every other team in baseball manages to cut players when necessary and not have it be a big deal. In Boston, there are always knives out when people walk out the door. How the story of him being DFA’d isn’t “Pierzynski wasn’t cutting it, we aren’t winning, we have this young catcher named Vazquez who we think can really be the future of the club and we want to get him up now” is beyond me.
Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)

There are only two non-veteran pitchers on the Red Sox who have made starts this year, Rubby De La Rosa and Brandon Workman.

Workman has been pretty consistent, but the Cubs marked him up for 5er on July 2nd. De La Rosa hasn't really had a terrible outing as the report indicates, so I would assume its Workman.

What was it last time...playing cards in the clubhouse instead of prepping pitchers and watching too many University of Florida Gators football games?

Who was the Giants' pitcher who complained about him the most, can't remember?

It was a fifth starter type of guy, I remember that, not one of their best pitchers at the time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
What was it last time...playing cards in the clubhouse instead of prepping pitchers and watching too many University of Florida Gators football games?

Who was the Giants' pitcher who complained about him the most, can't remember?

It was a fifth starter type of guy, I remember that, not one of their best pitchers at the time.

Brett Tomko.

I really don't care that AJP is painted as a jerk. He was as important as anybody on the team in the greatest sports year of my life, the year the Sox won it all.

Thank you AJP.

The more I think about it, I do agree the Sox probably should not bring him back. I worship AJP but he's so damn slow it will be annoying to see him plod around on the basepaths. Also we know he doesn't have a great record of throwing guys out.

Flowers is kind of the throwaway catcher during the era in which our team sucks. He's like Robin having to take one for the organization and be the manager during our lousy years. Let's face it, in a few years when the Sox get good again, Tyler and AJP will be both out of baseball. Or Tyler at best will be a backup somewhere.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)

There was a story in Boston media this week about Peavy. He said he would hate to leave Boston. He said in his 1 season with them he has made friends for his lifetime. Both he and AJ are having bad years and both will probably be gone by the end of the month. But where Peavy "fit in" it looks like AJ didn't. AJ had some weird media comments about a month ago how he was responsible for losing a game which seemd odd at the time. Obviously there was some dissension in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Trade anybody for him and/or take on any portion of his salary beyond the league minimum? Absolutely not.

Sign him for league minimum after he clears waivers? No good reason not to. He can't be worse than Flowers and he'll sell some tickets.

lol

this is why you shouldnt be a Grade A A-hole. If he was a nice guy, then I bet he'd stay in the game a couple of years longer than he really should talent wise but why would a team put up with him when every MLB team has a catcher of AJ's talent level in AAA or as their current backup?

BTW I LOL

Pierzynski was ejected by umpire Quinn Wolcott after a leadoff walk by pitcher Brandon Workman because he asked Wolcott to "give me a new ball. One you can see."[22] This was Pierzynski's ninth career ejection.
:lolhitting

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
Hire AJ to walk out to the mound in the 9th inning and beat the crap out of the next closer who blows a save. Wave to the fans who are offering a standing O and retire.

actually AJ would walk out, get punched in the face and then run off the field waving to the fans and act as if he just won some fight.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
actually AJ would walk out, get punched in the face and then run off the field waving to the fans and act as if he just won some fight.

That reminds me of the time AJ knocked Barrett on his ass with a clean hit as Barrett was trying to block the plate, then Barrett sucker punched AJ with his best shot to the jaw and it didn't even phase AJ. The funny thing was AJ didn't even retaliate but was suspended by MLB!

AJ came out looking great on that one while Barrett and MLB looked like clowns. :D

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
That reminds me of the time AJ knocked Barrett on his ass with a clean hit as Barrett was trying to block the plate, then Barrett sucker punched AJ with his best shot to the jaw and it didn't even phase AJ. The funny thing was AJ didn't even retaliate but was suspended by MLB!

AJ came out looking great on that one while Barrett and MLB looked like clowns. :D

Haha, just another fond memory of AJ. I did enjoy enjoy AJ getting the Sox fans pumped.