Flowers and his magic glasses

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
If we can find something for him that will be magical every year and give him a few weeks of confidence then I'm all for keeping him.

Is this limited to apparel or could it be like a Jobu-type figure?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
How's about a left-handed platoon mate?

I'd like to see them stash Nieto in AAA next year and try and find a guy to compete with Tyler for the starting job.

There is no way he should come into next spring the de facto starter but I'd have no problems with him winning the job over another cheapish, 1-2 WAR type. They might have to get creative but I wouldn't even mind taking a flier on McCann. They have money to spend, that might be the best way. I trust Hahn more the KW to take on big salary responsibly. We'll see if Hahn can get creative when the Sox are near contention with end of the roster type stuff that was KW's strong suit.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I'd like to see them stash Nieto in AAA next year and try and find a guy to compete with Tyler for the starting job.

There is no way he should come into next spring the de facto starter but I'd have no problems with him winning the job over another cheapish, 1-2 WAR type. They might have to get creative but I wouldn't even mind taking a flier on McCann. They have money to spend, that might be the best way. I trust Hahn more the KW to take on big salary responsibly. We'll see if Hahn can get creative when the Sox are near contention with end of the roster type stuff that was KW's strong suit.

I expect Nieto will be in the minors next year. Would look for them to bring a veteran around and I just don't see anything out there to justify us making a big move at the catcher position.

The only thing Flowers has shown me this year is that he looks like a solid candidate to be a backup C who plays vs. lefties. I'm impressed by his adjustments at the plate and his work ethic, but when it comes down to it, Flowers work ethic does not make up for a lack of physical talent to be a good everyday player, in my opinion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
Somebody should write a poem about Tyler Flowers and his up and down season.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Roses and Violets are flowers

But Tyler Flowers is a catcher

who wears magic glasses

that make him hit better

or are our glasses rose colored ?

I been thinking.... if the sox does manage in some way to improve, I can deal

with having Flowers as catcher.

If the Sox can find a backup catcher who hits righties, that would help. Biggest problem this year, aside from Flowers and Nieto not being good hitters in general, is that both hit lefties better than righties, so you can't gain any kind of platoon advantage.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
The only thing Flowers has shown me this year is that he looks like a solid candidate to be a backup C who plays vs. lefties. I'm impressed by his adjustments at the plate and his work ethic, but when it comes down to it, Flowers work ethic does not make up for a lack of physical talent to be a good everyday player, in my opinion.

This.

Grandal is the guy I really want. Even in a down year, he's posted a wRC+ of 105 against RHP. He and Flower would make a great platoon and give us above average production at the position.

Sucks that Austin Hedges had a bad year, not sure the Padres will be motivated to move Grandal this offseason.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
Grandal is the guy I really want. Even in a down year, he's posted a wRC+ of 105 against RHP. He and Flower would make a great platoon and give us above average production at the position.

Sucks that Austin Hedges had a bad year, not sure the Padres will be motivated to move Grandal this offseason.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../true/minpa/300

Unless you had Yan Gomes, Salvador Perez or Derek Norris, you're going to be doing fairly well with Tyler Flowers. He's not hurting the team offensively and defensively as much as LF, RF, and 2B.

If you look at all of MLB, he's sitting 15th out of 26.

Way ahead of Salty, McCann, AJ, Grandal, Zunino, M. Montero, etc. And we'd be just as likely to get an upgrade if we traded for Wilin Rosario as for Grandal, arguably. Change of scenery candidate who would cost less than Grandal.

Unless we signed Carlos Ruiz this past offseason or COULD sign Russell Martin (and he's going to get a bigger deal than warranted at his age, just like Victor Martinez), we'd arguably be a lot worse off with all the money sunk into McCann or Salty, so there's that much.

As much as we all hate to see Flowers occupy a spot in the lineup, don't forget that the MLB average OPS for catchers is .694, and Flowers' OPS is .678, so he's not far away from average.

Yes, I would love to see a better-hitting catcher, but they are hard to find and the teams that have them know that and won't give them up cheaply. If the Sox can find a couple good bats for LF and DH, and Garcia becomes what we think he can become in RF, Flowers at C isn't going to make or break the team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
As much as we all hate to see Flowers occupy a spot in the lineup, don't forget that the MLB average OPS for catchers is .694, and Flowers' OPS is .678, so he's not far away from average.

Yes, I would love to see a better-hitting catcher, but they are hard to find and the teams that have them know that and won't give them up cheaply. If the Sox can find a couple good bats for LF and DH, and Garcia becomes what we think he can become in RF, Flowers at C isn't going to make or break the team.

It's also worth noting that he's been a positive defensive catcher this year at least in the fangraphs world (admittedly with catcher still being a position where everything they do is hard to quantify). He improved with both the bat and with the glove this year, good things to see.

If the Sox could find a decent back-up catcher who can hit righties, I'd be fine with keeping Flowers. Even with his very erratic year, it looks like he'll end up around .230 - .240 with maybe 15 HRs. It would be nice if he could settle in as a .250 hitter who is not as streaky (streaky could be his Twitter handle), and maybe he will. This was his first time handling the entire season as the primary catcher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../true/minpa/300

Unless you had Yan Gomes, Salvador Perez or Derek Norris, you're going to be doing fairly well with Tyler Flowers. He's not hurting the team offensively and defensively as much as LF, RF, and 2B.

If you look at all of MLB, he's sitting 15th out of 26.

Way ahead of Salty, McCann, AJ, Grandal, Zunino, M. Montero, etc. And we'd be just as likely to get an upgrade if we traded for Wilin Rosario as for Grandal, arguably. Change of scenery candidate who would cost less than Grandal.

Unless we signed Carlos Ruiz this past offseason or COULD sign Russell Martin (and he's going to get a bigger deal than warranted at his age, just like Victor Martinez), we'd arguably be a lot worse off with all the money sunk into McCann or Salty, so there's that much.

good point but as LittleHurt05 said, i can deal with Flowers. i rather save what

ever salary the sox will use to get a better player at another position.

Right now these guys seem like locks for next year:

1B: Abreu

2B: Johnson/Semien/Sanchez

SS: Ramirez

3B: Gillaspie

CF: Eaton

RF: Garcia

That's six spots in our lineup already filled. As of today, here's how we'd fill the other spots internally:

C: Flowers

LF: Tank/Semien/Danks/Taylor/Mitchell

DH: Tank/Wilkins/Taylor

I agree that LF & DH are higher priorities, but improving at catcher should also be on the to-do list. Flowers may be passable by league standards, but hoping for average production out of a position should never be a goal. I'm pretty sure Hahn will be looking for an upgrade this offseason, whether he can find one at semi-reasonable price will be the true challenge.