2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Does anyone honestly think they're going to pay Mike Stanton $200-250 million?

C'mon...there's just no precedent for it, other than Albert Belle, and I think that was actually to make a point to other teams about the dangers of signing that kind of contract, which luckily had the escape clause.

Yes. If they want to contend, and protect Abreu and you have a chance at trading for a soon to be 24 year old super star, you offer him 8-10 years worth 200-250 million. I'd do it without blinking. Abreu and Stanton hitting 3-4 would be the most dangerous middle of the order in the MLB.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Yes. If they want to contend, and protect Abreu and you have a chance at trading for a soon to be 24 year old super star, you offer him 8-10 years worth 200-250 million. I'd do it without blinking. Abreu and Stanton hitting 3-4 would be the most dangerous middle of the order in the MLB.

The question is how much of your remaining talent you are willing to give up for the right to offer him that money. Would I part with a 2nd round pick for the right to offer him that? Yes. Would I part with Tim Anderson and a large number of other talented guys? Much more difficult to do. I need some of those guys to be successful in order to afford to give contracts like the one to Stanton out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Does anyone honestly think they're going to pay Mike Stanton $200-250 million?

C'mon...there's just no precedent for it, other than Albert Belle, and I think that was actually to make a point to other teams about the dangers of signing that kind of contract, which luckily had the escape clause.

Do I think they are going to pay Stanton that? No, because I think some other team will do that instead. But do I think they would? Absolutely.

I would be calling the rockies and seeing if they have any interest in moving Cargo. They are likely to lose Tulo as well so maybe a complete overhaul might be something the rockies would consider. It would be tough but its not like that core has gotten them anywhere so far.

Not sure if this is enough but I'd offer something like Hawkins, Sanchez, Beck and Montas

Contract is 16 mil for '15, 17 mil for '16 and 20 mil for '17

Edited by joejoedairy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
The question is how much of your remaining talent you are willing to give up for the right to offer him that money. Would I part with a 2nd round pick for the right to offer him that? Yes. Would I part with Tim Anderson and a large number of other talented guys? Much more difficult to do. I need some of those guys to be successful in order to afford to give contracts like the one to Stanton out.

Except things are much different when it is just one team negotiating versus competing against the entire marketplace. That could cost you another $50 to $100 million for a guy like Stanton.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
I would love to see Luke Gregerson and Andrew Miller brought in

It seems like Gregerson's given up his fair share of big go-ahead homers this year. He's actually got a negative WPA (sandwiched between Nathan and Romo for 40th worst) this year with a -1.21 clutch rating (12th worst).

His numbers don't look awful, but he hasn't exactly pitched well in big moments this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)

But the Sox are fairly young at every other position that taking a little depth out of the farm shouldn't harm the big club.

I saw a stat on Intentional Talk that the Sox were the 5th youngest team in the league, and that was with Beckham, De Aza and Dunn on the roster.

I would definitely part with depth on the farm to acquire a 24 year old super star at a position of need.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I would be calling the rockies and seeing if they have any interest in moving Cargo. They are likely to lose Tulo as well so maybe a complete overhaul might be something the rockies would consider. It would be tough but its not like that core has gotten them anywhere so far.

Not sure if this is enough but I'd offer something like Hawkins, Sanchez, Beck and Montas

Contract is 16 mil for '15, 17 mil for '16 and 20 mil for '17

I've got this dream scenario in my head where the Sox, Yankees, and Rockies hook up for a three-way deal this offseason that sees Alexei going to NYY, Tulo coming to Chicago, and prospects from us and NYY going to Colorado. Neither team maybe has quite the prospect ammo for Tulo by themselves, the Yankees won't want to take the big contract, but the Sox low payroll obligations would allow us to do just that. Among the prospects we would send would be a couple of the advanced MI guys that would be blocked by Tulo. Maybe Micah as a headliner, opening second for Semien/Sanchez, with the loser filling the utility role. Or maybe we just send Tim Anderson and little else.

But I know, dreaming.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I've got this dream scenario in my head where the Sox, Yankees, and Rockies hook up for a three-way deal this offseason that sees Alexei going to NYY, Tulo coming to Chicago, and prospects from us and NYY going to Colorado. Neither team maybe has quite the prospect ammo for Tulo alone, the Yankees won't want to take the big contract, but the Sox low payroll obligations would allow us to do just that. Among the prospect we would send would be a couple of the advanced MI guys that would be blocked by Tulo.

But I know, dreaming.

That would create quite a messy situation for me, personally.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
You know what? You're right, for some reason I was thinking it was only his first full year back. But he really did have most of 2013 (though at 130-ish IP), so this is (mostly) his second season back. He should have been better by now, injury-recovery-wise.

This is the key factor. He only threw 130 innings last year. After 130 this year he was building endurance and working with fatigue. It will be interesting to follow him as his innings increase next year. While he didn't pitch well overall, I think he was better early in the season as opposed to late. It does give some hope for next year.

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
Meet your new DH in 2015

Mr Ryan Howard (with phillies paying most of his salary left)

There is about as much chance of that happening as Scarlett Johansson showing up horny on my doorstep

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Not saying I like the move, it would suck and hes done. But IMO its going to happen when the philles do a overhaul they will look for an AL team...with a need...

The Sox just traded that player away, They dont need Dunn part 2. And at least Dunn could play outfield if asked, Howard can barely play 1B

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Not saying I like the move, it would suck and hes done. But IMO its going to happen when the philles do a overhaul they will look for an AL team...with a need...

When the Sox traded for Thome, it was because he was a good hitter who was coming off an injury prone season and the Phillies had Ryan Howard come up and tear s*** up. Ryan Howard has been a bad and oft-injured hitter for 3 years now. It's not even worth considering. His contract is worse - like way worse - than Vernon Wells' contract was when the Angels traded for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
When the Sox traded for Thome, it was because he was a good hitter who was coming off an injury prone season and the Phillies had Ryan Howard come up and tear s*** up. Ryan Howard has been a bad and oft-injured hitter for 3 years now. It's not even worth considering. His contract is worse - like way worse - than Vernon Wells' contract was when the Angels traded for him.

To be fair, he did mention the Phillies would be paying most of his remaining salary.