Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 12m12 minutes ago

Samardzija said he's been adamant about being a free agent. Also says if it's right it's right. If right numbers are there, extension poss.

I have a feeling things are going to be all righttttt

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 30s30 seconds ago

I like Semien, don't love the trade for @Athletics. @FlavourDigital: Is Semien that good? Or is 1 year of The Shark not valued that highly?

I think generally consensus is the Sox "won" this trade. I think people will be harsh on this package because it doesn't have star potential, but I believe the guys going back to the A's will contribute at minimal cost. Which is exactly what Beane seems to be looking for in Oakland on his limited payroll.

Though I am not going to lie I am thrilled the Sox were able to complete this deal without having to include Anderson, Montas, Hawkins, Danish, Adams, etc etc. You could argue that Ynoa has the highest ceiling of any of the prospect in the deal.

The Sox didn't give up anything really special; but they shouldn't for 1 year of a player. They also didn't give up a bunch of chumps either. Ravelo is a high OBP guy that will be able to play 1B for some teams (who have power elsewhere). Semien is a nice infielder. Bassit was really improving.

I wouldn't have done this deal for 1 year of Shark. But they've certainly done worse trades.

The pitcher they got back is the type they've been loading up on - high K, but no control.

Edited by GreenSox